Levo Gen 2 Which wheelset, Hunt or DT Swiss?

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
I’ll have a set of 29er Industry Nine Enduro S 1/1, going on the for sale next week once I’ve taken discs etc off. New mullet forcing sale.
Mates have DT Swiss and they have been good solid wheels for them 👍

Jan 2, 2021
South Wales
So, after all your words of wisdom I went with the Hunt Enduro Wide in the end as they come with a 3 Yr warranty for £339. Great reviews and my mate said they have been faultless for him over the past 18 months. The difference in price between the the Hunt and DT Swiss rims persuaded me to get the Sram Gx AXS upgrade kit as I needed a new chain, cassette and derailleur anyway, I'm soooo excited it's pathetic lol 👏🏻😆

Thanks again for your knowledge and suggestions people 👌🏼👍🏼

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
So, after all your words of wisdom I went with the Hunt Enduro Wide in the end as they come with a 3 Yr warranty for £339. Great reviews and my mate said they have been faultless for him over the past 18 months. The difference in price between the the Hunt and DT Swiss rims persuaded me to get the Sram Gx AXS upgrade kit as I needed a new chain, cassette and derailleur anyway, I'm soooo excited it's pathetic lol 👏🏻😆

My Hunt Trail Wide wheels were inherited from my Trek Fuel EX. If I was now buying for my Trek Rail then Hunt Enduro Wide wheels are what I would buy, unbeatable value for the price. (y)

Last edited:

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK

FYI - The ERD on the DT Swiss EX511 (and others) is just 1mm more than those used on the Hunt Enduro Wide. So if you damage a rim you could swap to a DT Swiss enduro rim. I'm considering fitting a pair of EX511 rims into my Hunt Trail wheels.

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and suggestions people, much appreciated.
Don't know if it's too late, but I've just ordered these...Dt Swiss HX531/538 Hope Pro 5 combo (mullet) from Bike Wheels Direct

My bike is a Marin Alpine Trail E2 with a mullet wheelset and C/lock rotors. Believe it or not Hope's dedicated e-bike rear pro 5 hub doesn't yet have the CL option, so Russell (the wheel builder at BWD) has been onto them and he's taking a standard Pro 5 rear and replacing the innards with the e-bike specific one (steel free hub, 54 points of engagement) so I can have my C/L option. Outstanding work.

Last edited:

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hello, for about 7/8 months I have been using a pair of dt ex 1700 wheels on my turbo levo carbon expert 2022 and I am completely satisfied with it, I ride in Liguria Italy on the Finale Ligure trails.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hunt is H plus Sons
DT Swiss is DT Swiss
I believe that in the case of DT Swiss the majority of rims are sourced from DT Swiss Poland and DT Swiss Taiwan. I can not find where their rims are originally sourced from.

Hunt wheels are built in Taiwan. I can not find where their rims are originally sourced from.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I believe that in the case of DT Swiss the majority of rims are sourced from DT Swiss Poland and DT Swiss Taiwan. I can not find where their rims are originally sourced from.

Hunt wheels are built in Taiwan. I can not find where their rims are originally sourced from.
Hubs were Novatec and rims "were" generic no branders

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
A lot of the rims come from the same factory in China, 6th Element, Nobl etc I bought set rims direct & it’s not light bicycle (have those rims too) that’s another place

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Nextie.
(Nobl are not the same)
Sixth Element don't just use one supplier of carbon rims, there are hundreds of carbon fibre production plants in Asia and most well respected brands source their carbon from Asia be it toray T700 or T800.
As with all products produced in the EU, Asia or America, some of these products are superb quality and others are cheap low quality trash. I find it amusing when people just state made in Asia so must be poor quality, also saying they all use the same factory is even more misleading and totaly incorrect.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Sixth Element don't just use one supplier of carbon rims, there are hundreds of carbon fibre production plants in Asia and most well respected brands source their carbon from Asia be it toray T700 or T800.
As with all products produced in the EU, Asia or America, some of these products are superb quality and others are cheap low quality trash. I find it amusing when people just state made in Asia so must be poor quality, also saying they all use the same factory is even more misleading and totaly
Do you work for Sixth Element?

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Do you work for Sixth Element?
No but I have purchased from them recently and also owned Santa Cruz, DT Swiss and Hope wheels over the years, the vast majority of Carbon wheel retailers source there carbon from Asia, you will struggle to name more than 2 company's world wide that produce there own Carbon in house.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
No but I have purchased from them recently and also owned Santa Cruz, DT Swiss and Hope wheels over the years, the vast majority of Carbon wheel retailers source there carbon from Asia, you will struggle to name more than 2 company's world wide that produce there own Carbon in house.
But in fairness there are carbon wheels then there are carbon wheels.
I've had a few pairs of wheels using Nextie rims - some of the rims where great; others not so much.
Compared to my SC reserves they're like chalk & cheese

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
But in fairness there are carbon wheels then there are carbon wheels.
I've had a few pairs of wheels using Nextie rims - some of the rims where great; others not so much.
Compared to my SC reserves they're like chalk & cheese
Totaly agree and that's my point, just because a carbon hub is produced in Asia does not automatically make it bad, also most of the top brands will not and do not disclose where they source the carbon weave from.

Last edited:

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
And I have 3 x sets of Nexties, never had an issue. as I'm sure sitxth element are.
My Nobl's were bomb proof, just not the same as they're hand made in Canada.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
And I have 3 x sets of Nexties, never had an issue. as I'm sure sitxth element are.
My Nobl's were bomb proof, just not the same as they're hand made in Canada.
Nobl also source the carbon for there hubs from Asia, Nobl build there wheelsets from the ground up the same as Sixth Element.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Nobl also source the carbon for there hubs from Asia, Nobl build there wheelsets from the ground up the same as Sixth Element.
Working in the industry I have sourced a few rims direct from Asia over the years. The supplier I got them from supply quite a few big brands in Europe. Another mate who owns a suspension company also has had many carbon wheels in his possession at one time for his other company & were all identical. My LB rims are not the same as my other carbon rims different offset, rim depth etc

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Sixth-element doesn't build its own rims in the UK? (that doesn't make them at all bad) as discussed, Nextie who makes the rims, do so very well. I know they build the wheels up to be complete here.

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
Working in the industry I have sourced a few rims direct from Asia over the years. The supplier I got them from supply quite a few big brands in Europe. Another mate who owns a suspension company also has had many carbon wheels in his possession at one time for his other company & were all identical. My LB rims are not the same as my other carbon rims different offset, rim depth etc

Sixth-element doesn't build its own rims in the UK? (that doesn't make them at all bad) as discussed, Nextie who makes the rims, do so very well. I know they build the wheels up to be complete here.
They source there carbon rims from Asia like 99% of wheel builders, then they build the wheels based on which hub and Spokes you want. Lifetime guarantee which also allows you to sell and transfer the guarantee to the new owner.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles