Levo Gen 2 Which wheelset, Hunt or DT Swiss?

Jan 2, 2021
South Wales
Hey all,

I'm looking to update my 2020 Levo wheels for something a bit newer and I've narrowed it down to 3 which are all currently on offer :-

Hunt Enduro Wide V2 29 (£339)
Hunt E-Enduro Wide V2 29 (£389)
DT Swiss HX 1501 Hybrid 29 (£415)

What are peoples thoughts and experiences please?

Cheers.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
The DT splines use 240 hubs so they're kind of bulletproof and will hold their value. My only concern is them being straight pull - but that's a preference thing I think.

I'll get shot down for this but I only ever really hear about the Hunt rims that are softer than Hope Cheese... If your heart is set on Hunt then I'd go for the E-MTB for sure. And in fairness, I know lots of people that like the hubs, I'm just not a fan.

But for what it's worth and from what you've listed above I'd go with the DT setup.

Jan 2, 2021
South Wales
Not a recomendation, just another option.

Think about why you're changing yours though, standard wheels for standard wheels by the look of the budget?
The DT Swiss Hx 1501 wheels were the top spec aluminium version in 2020-2021 at £900+. The Hunt's have had good reviews and come in cheaper than the Roval Traverse that came fitted on the bike. Mine need a true and I have a flat spot on the rear so OK for a spare if I buy new. My budget is £500 ish 🤥

Jan 2, 2021
South Wales
The DT splines use 240 hubs so they're kind of bulletproof and will hold their value. My only concern is them being straight pull - but that's a preference thing I think.

I'll get shot down for this but I only ever really hear about the Hunt rims that are softer than Hope Cheese... If your heart is set on Hunt then I'd go for the E-MTB for sure. And in fairness, I know lots of people that like the hubs, I'm just not a fan.

But for what it's worth and from what you've listed above I'd go with the DT setup.
I think the DT 240 hubs might be decider you know, I also just read that the HX 1501 is re-packaged EX 511 rim which is a proven EWS race enduro rim 🤔 👌🏼

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Bought Hunt Trail Wide V2 wheels for my Trek Fuel EX in 2021 for ~£350 (6 pawls, 72 points of engagement).

Then when got the Trek Rail 5 in January 2022 swapped the wheels over from the Fuel. Wheels have been faultless since purchase. I don't drop in or jump more than a few feet btw.

Only problem was a couple of weeks ago when I serviced the rear I dropped a fecking pawl and couldn't find it! :mad:

So went to Hunt Wheels who are about 40 minutes drive from us and they gave me a replacement pawl plus 3 spares in case I dropped some more! ;)

Bike's been to BPW and often to QECP (30 minutes from us), and abused on the South Downs, with no damage to the wheels other than multiple scratches.

Can't argue with £350 (Edit: looks like they're on offer now at £296!)

PS as far as I can see the vast majority of rims used by wheels builders are in fact made for them by Alex Rims.

www.alexrims.com

Last edited:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
DT swiss are proven wheels although I did have some issues with the m1700 I got (rim got falt spots really easily, constant spoke retensioning until i changed the rim to an ex511).

Hunt are relatively new but seem to get good reviews, I had spotted "Newmen" as a good option also, similar price to hunt and frequently reviewed as bomproof despite sensible weights: E-MTB | Newmen Components

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
Dt swiss for the excellent and tool free ratchet system..once fitted to the free hub the cassette can be just pulled off to clean..also the sound is nice..not like a loud ticking clock

penguinni

E*POWAH Snack Master
Subscriber
Jun 22, 2020
Bangor, N Ireland
Anyone any experience with these wheels or the supplier?

Im very tempted.

I don’t actually need them but you know how it is.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've had the DT Swiss hx1501 for the past 2 or 3 years on my wild fs, they've been absolutely bulletproof reliable.

out of the list you provided I'd choose the hx1501 no question.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Hey all,

I'm looking to update my 2020 Levo wheels for something a bit newer and I've narrowed it down to 3 which are all currently on offer :-

Hunt Enduro Wide V2 29 (£339)
Hunt E-Enduro Wide V2 29 (£389)
DT Swiss HX 1501 Hybrid 29 (£415)

What are peoples thoughts and experiences please?

Cheers.
I'm very happy with my Hunt E-Enduro Wide set. I've killed 2 Roval rears and a Stans. The Hunts are working really well for me

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Anyone any experience with these wheels or the supplier?

Im very tempted.

I don’t actually need them but you know how it is.

Shimano
Shimano hubs are shit for ebikes, don`t buy these.

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
Hunt, my mech destroyed my Trail Wide V2 rear wheel. Hunt sold me a replacement rim and spokes at a massive discount under the lifetime crash replacement program. I'm not even the original purchaser of the wheels and so had no proof of purchase. Can't fault the aftersales service. I'm not a fan of the rim profile, would prefer deeper, but these wheels are strong for the weight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles