Which one? !

Aug 25, 2021
Hampshire
Hi guys,

I’m new to the e-bike scene and looking for my first one so your thoughts please. This 2018, unused bike with full warranty is available at a reduced price of £5800. At this price, a new Focus Jam2 6.9 could be had.
Is the older bike a better buy or is a brand new bike (with bigger battery) the way to go?
Thanks -Mark.

DAF7D194-000C-44F3-9365-929BCDC63BE5.jpeg

EB6F19F9-84DC-4180-9C72-B2D3AFDB45B8.jpeg

072B5B30-F9A1-45B1-9C8C-689BA23E731B.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I guess it depends what you want and how you imagine you'll use the bike .

If you just want shiny to look at, the one on offer is spectacular and you can't go wrong.

It's great spec and is basically a very very very cheap much better spec Orbea Rise.

However, a Jam2 6.9 is also really good spec for the money, probably the best/in the top tiny handful. It's a heavier bike though. Quite a good chunk heavier ! It does ride really really really nicely though and everything about it works well.

The Bosch, whilst we're nitpicking percentages, is more reliable than the Shimano. The Bosch is also more efficient. So with the larger battery and more efficiency, you'll get much more range/altitude from the 6.9 with similar levels of assistance. Specific numbers will depend on you, how you ride and where you ride.

If you're only planning shorter rides and want something either easier to move about/throw over gates or something a bit more playful then the 2018 is a good option. If you want to climb minimum's of 1500m in a ride and possibly go on rides of 60k 80k 100k then the Jam2 would be a better choice.

If you go for either, insist they do a full bolt check as someone on the Focus assembly line either has a chocolate Torque wrench or is a homicidal maniac.

Aug 25, 2021
Hampshire
Great reply and thanks for the detail.
I typically ride about 10-12 miles on my std mountain bike which is just a mixture of trails and back roads.
I think for the price and what I’m going to use it for I quite tempted by the older bike. I do like the bling and accept that”s pretty shallow! Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles