Which motor can I buy myself as a consumer?

scm007

Mar 23, 2022
Seattle
I hate being locked-in to a manufacturer and not being able to source the part myself. With these motor systems we can't just replace it if it breaks. Imagine not being able to replace a chainring and having to total a bike. That's where we are with these motor systems. So with repairability in mind, which system can I actually source my own replacement motor? I know the new Bafang M820 I can buy myself and it looks pretty good.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I'm surprised a cycling lobby group hasn't taken these bike manufacturers/motor manufacturers' practices to the EU's compliance people. It is anti-competitive, anti-sustainability, doesn't fit in with their 6 year usability clause, etc.

It needs to be rectified and parts need to be available outside of warranty freely to the owners of the products.

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
I'm surprised a cycling lobby group hasn't taken these bike manufacturers/motor manufacturers' practices to the EU's compliance people. It is anti-competitive, anti-sustainability, doesn't fit in with their 6 year usability clause, etc.

It needs to be rectified and parts need to be available outside of warranty freely to the owners of the products.
Totally agree. Almost at the point of junking 2015 Turbo Levo :-(

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Polini EP3+ is probably the most serviceable.

Giant are absolutely appalling. Their motors are physically identical to Yamaha yet cost £1000 more and are near impossible to buy. You can't buy ANY parts for them either, apart from bearings from regular bearing places.

In my experience Giant are an absolutely dreadful company and there's ZERO possibility of me ever buying anything from them again.

AFAIK, you can't buy any parts for Shimano EP8>, but if you're a proper company, like e-bike motor services (bearing man), you can buy parts for Bosch motors.

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
Polini EP3+ is probably the most serviceable.

Giant are absolutely appalling. Their motors are physically identical to Yamaha yet cost £1000 more and are near impossible to buy. You can't buy ANY parts for them either, apart from bearings from regular bearing places.

In my experience Giant are an absolutely dreadful company and there's ZERO possibility of me ever buying anything from them again.

AFAIK, you can't buy any parts for Shimano EP8>, but if you're a proper company, like e-bike motor services (bearing man), you can buy parts for Bosch motors.
I have an old Giant Dirt-e (2015) works like a Trojan. The new Giant negative waves are seriously putting me off going near them again.... shame really. Thier newe bike look great :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles