Which motor best for pedalling after 15mph

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
So which drive system is best for pedalling after you hit the 15mph limit, using the bike at uplift parks, so want want any drag that I encountered on my previous Shimano E8000.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Surely the weight of the bike is the main determining factor ..not the non functioning motor ..
Not really..
Some motors have a drag effect after assistance stops at 15mph, some are worse than others.
Just trying to determine which system still allows zero resistance after the assistance stops.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Tyres make a huge huge huge difference too.

For me, comparing Shimano e8000, Brose and Bosch Gen4 - I find the Gen4 has the least resistance which enables you to push through and ride over the limit easily to obtain good range when the terrain isn't too hard going. However, personally, I didn't think the e8000 was particularly draggy either and you could easily ride that over the assistance limit - but I get massively more range/altitude on the Bosch Gen4 compared to the E8000 .

gen4.jpg

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Surely the spragg clutch disconnects the motor drive from the crank above speed limit?

From looking at the internals of my own motor there are two spragg clutches. These behave in the same way as a freewheel hub.

One disconnects the cranks from the drive hub, the other disconnects the motor from the chainweel. This second one allows you to stop peddling with motor power on. Given that this is possible there can be no drag once the motor has stopped producing power.
I think motor drag is just perceived given the power cut is a hard point at 15mph.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Tyres make a huge huge huge difference too.

For me, comparing Shimano e8000, Brose and Bosch Gen4 - I find the Gen4 has the least resistance which enables you to push through and ride over the limit easily to obtain good range when the terrain isn't too hard going. However, personally, I didn't think the e8000 was particularly draggy either and you could easily ride that over the assistance limit - but I get massively more range/altitude on the Bosch Gen4 compared to the E8000 .

View attachment 67302
I find the Brose in my Levo 2020 a bit draggy (at any speed), even though it is supposed to disengage completely, but I can 100% confirm Zim's comment about the tyres. I got a second set of wheels for commuting and the tyres make a huge difference to the 15mph "wall". Also means that you can free-wheel much, much further.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Agreed I’ve just converted my hard tail to urban commuter with street tyres. Unbelievable difference. Really quite easy to pedal over the speed limit.
Interestingly, it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference to overall time and calories burnt (at least for me), but the feel is completely different.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Surely the spragg clutch disconnects the motor drive from the crank above speed limit?

From looking at the internals of my own motor there are two spragg clutches. These behave in the same way as a freewheel hub.

One disconnects the cranks from the drive hub, the other disconnects the motor from the chainweel. This second one allows you to stop peddling with motor power on. Given that this is possible there can be no drag once the motor has stopped producing power.
I think motor drag is just perceived given the power cut is a hard point at 15mph.
What about the magnets that you are pedalling against? Do they not make any difference? is there any magnetism between the stator and the permanent magnets when the stator electromagnets are not firing?

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
Not sure why or how but my Bosch gen 2 Cube HT with 2.6 Nobby Nics feels better cruising flat road/path at 30kph than my clockwork Flat Bar roadie with 34's.
And no, its not derestricted.

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
What about the magnets that you are pedalling against? Do they not make any difference? is there any magnetism between the stator and the permanent magnets when the stator electromagnets are not firing?
Not on my motor. Effectively the motor output shaft/chain ring is disconnected from the stator/magnets via the spragg/freewheel. The crank/pedals sit inside this shaft with another spragg/freewheel.This is the bit that allows back peddling without rotating the chainring.
I suspect this system is common across most motors given the pedelec principle.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
From the mid motors I have been able to test, Yamaha PW, PW-X, PW-SE, Brose Drive S and Shimano E8000 were about the same, EP8 a bit better, about the same as Gen 4 Bosch. Gen 3 Bosch was pretty bad compared to the others. Only when drag is concerned of course.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
The Yamaha drive system is also excellent in this regard. Any Class III should provide better or smoother riding at higher speeds than other bikes but also require more power input from the rider.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles