Where to go from here?

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
So, I've been looking into an EMTB for a little while now, put a couple of threads on here but I'm still left slightly lost on what bike to get or even look into more.

Originally I was looking at the Voodoo Zobop with the Shimano E8000 motor, then I was swayed towards the Decathlon Stilus with the Bosch Performance CX motor.

To be honest, I've gone off the idea of both bikes and I'm thinking of putting some more money in the pot.

Quick run down of myself and what the bike will be used for; I'm 6"2, weigh about 13 stone, the bike will be used for a whole range of things i.e riding to and from work which will be on a road, cycle paths etc, I'll also use it for simple rides with my son through fields and then quite tricky trails which will include jumps, twists and turns, in and out of trees and rocky sections.

I'm looking to start making yearly trips to Bike Park Wales as well so it'll be used for that.

I road a lot when I was younger and then switched to motorbikes and now I'm back on the MTB game but it hasn't been long so I'm not sure on my preferences regarding how the bikes sits or my riding style if that makes sense so geometry wise I'm kind of going in blind.

I'm looking to spend between £3000-£4000, I've tried to give as much information as possible in the hope that some of you very knowledgeable folk can assist me in the right direction.

This is my first EMTB so it's all quite new to me and I do feel pretty much any e-bike will blow my mind, I just want to get the correct one first time round and not end up wishing I purchased something else 6 months down the line.

HT is not an option, definitely want a full sus. I've been looking on Tredz.co.uk and they have some Meridas on there in my price range but I heard the odd bad thing about those. I seem to find something and then hear or read a bad review on it which has left me completely lost.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Some hard negotiation would put you on a Rail 7, a Whyte E150 S or a Levo full fat or even an SL for around the top of your budget. A Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL is £3999.

Your biggest issue will be finding somewhere with stock at the moment, CV19 has done wonders for new bike sales it would seem.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Have you looked at the trek rail 5 ?

You're also now in the budget area for some of the focus and cube bikes.

The Rail 5 is nice but I'm not a fan of the colour, same goes for the Focus bikes.

Found this Cube though which is really nice.

I should of mentioned in my original post that I quite like the bright, outragous colours.

Screenshot_20200608-223005_Chrome.jpg

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
I was all set to get a Trek 2020 Rail 5 with the 625wh battery, but when I went to the LBS 3 weeks ago I was told they are completely out of stock (most, if not all UK retailers are, especially L frames) I could order the 2021 model which would be in stock around 27th October 2020.

I didn’t fancy the wait and the LBS told me about the Whyte E150S. Ordered one the next day and should get it tomorrow or Wednesday. It was a bit more than I had planned to spend but I am very happy and I haven’t got my hands on the bike yet.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I should of mentioned in my original post that I quite like the bright, outragous colours.
Aaaaand we're back to the Rail 7...
1591652234530.png

It's much brighter in real life... :cool:

Two Wheels in Amblecote, Stourbridge have one in stock but I'm not sure which size. They'll do a deal too.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Some hard negotiation would put you on a Rail 7, a Whyte E150 S or a Levo full fat or even an SL for around the top of your budget. A Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 HPC SL is £3999.

Your biggest issue will be finding somewhere with stock at the moment, CV19 has done wonders for new bike sales it would seem.

They're all a little out of my budget other than the Cube which I was actually just looking at.

£4000 on a bike is an absolute push for me. I'm willing to fork that out but anymore at the moment I just can't justify

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bear in mind that 10-15% discount is achievable unless you want to use a 0% finance offer from the shop.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
I was all set to get a Trek 2020 Rail 5 with the 625wh battery, but when I went to the LBS 3 weeks ago I was told they are completely out of stock (most, if not all UK retailers are, especially L frames) I could order the 2021 model which would be in stock around 27th October 2020.

I didn’t fancy the wait and the LBS told me about the Whyte E150S. Ordered one the next day and should get it tomorrow or Wednesday. It was a bit more than I had planned to spend but I am very happy and I haven’t got my hands on the bike yet.

Yeah finding the right bike in stock is a nightmare at the moment, like you say, large frames are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Let me know what you think of the E150, post some pics as well

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Yeah finding the right bike in stock is a nightmare at the moment, like you say, large frames are as rare as rocking horse sh*t.

Let me know what you think of the E150, post some pics as well

Yeah it’s been quite a journey for me to decide on which bike to go for, have used the cyclescheme to pay for the bulk of it, so am saving a big chunk of it. But glad I decided to buy through a local shop so that when things go wrong I don’t have to send it off by courier. Have read some horror story’s on here with direct sales when things go wrong.

Will let you know how I get on with the e150, can’t wait to be honest. Have been out on my old acoustic mtb every morning and afternoon just imagining what the Whyte will be like.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Which cycle to work scheme? Some are better than others, make sure you do your research.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I doubt you'll get any discount from anywhere using a C2W scheme as they charge the shop about 10%.

Trowernator

Jun 1, 2020
East Sussex
Yeah it’s been quite a journey for me to decide on which bike to go for, have used the cyclescheme to pay for the bulk of it, so am saving a big chunk of it. But glad I decided to buy through a local shop so that when things go wrong I don’t have to send it off by courier. Have read some horror story’s on here with direct sales when things go wrong.

Will let you know how I get on with the e150, can’t wait to be honest. Have been out on my old acoustic mtb every morning and afternoon just imagining what the Whyte will be like.

? yeah I think I'll be doing the same, I bet you're absolutely gagging for it to turn up.

The town I live in has only got two bike shops, ones closed and the others completely out of stock so I think I'll have to head into Brighton, just down the road from me and see what they have.

Do you mind explaining the cycle to work scheme a bit more? You basically avoid tax on the bike right, but is there a final payment to buy it out right off of your company? And what's the process?

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
? yeah I think I'll be doing the same, I bet you're absolutely gagging for it to turn up.

The town I live in has only got two bike shops, ones closed and the others completely out of stock so I think I'll have to head into Brighton, just down the road from me and see what they have.

Do you mind explaining the cycle to work scheme a bit more? You basically avoid tax on the bike right, but is there a final payment to buy it out right off of your company? And what's the process?

Yes I am gagging to get on it to be honest! It’s bad enough waiting, but with the Covid situation it feels like it’s taken even longer than the 5 weeks it’s taken so far.

Yeah so your employer approves your application, gets an invoice from Cyclescheme and then pays it. When you apply it will tell you how much you will have taken out of your salary. Your tax rate will be taken off the total price, and then you pay that off over 12 months. Then you pay between 18-25% of the original value as a fair market value to get ownership of the bike. Other schemes keep you in the scheme for longer and then after a further 2-3 years the bike becomes yours. I am sure some are better than others but some employers have only enrolled in one scheme.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You'll have to use the scheme your employer offers, but most have a final value payment. As a basic rate tax payer that would be £336 on a £4800 Trek Rail 7.

There are other rules too; you cannot spend so much that it takes you under NMW and some employers, like mine, have stuck to the £1000 limit, even though it has been relaxed now.

You need to discuss it with whoever administers your scheme at work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles