jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx

20180213_164557.jpeg

FB_IMG_1511230367284.jpeg

junglie69

Mar 22, 2018
Warminster
I agree with Kernow the Atera DL is an excellent rack however it is wheelbase limited the Levo pictured below is 1250mm and doesn’t really fit I’m going to have to try something else.

886BE28F-8B8B-4DFA-A4C3-455131984D6B.jpeg

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I agree with Kernow the Atera DL is an excellent rack however it is wheelbase limited the Levo pictured below is 1250mm and doesn’t really fit I’m going to have to try something else.

View attachment 1277
Looks like the wheel chocks still have adjustment outward and your in contact with the tyre , the bike seems to be well supported

junglie69

Mar 22, 2018
Warminster
It looks well supported until you start driving, the wheels - despite the photo - are not supported and the frame holder has a lot of sideways movement. To much friction and rubbing and thats with everything cranked right up. Might just be my Atera but I'm still going to change for a carrier that supports the wheels. I will miss the curved tilt feature, that does work.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It looks well supported until you start driving, the wheels - despite the photo - are not supported and the frame holder has a lot of sideways movement. To much friction and rubbing and thats with everything cranked right up. Might just be my Atera but I'm still going to change for a carrier that supports the wheels. I will miss the curved tilt feature, that does work.

It’s hard to see what’s going on from the photo , I’ve not had the ebike on mine but I’ve had 3 enduro bikes on which are same dimensions , it took a while setting up and adjusting as all racks do but fine after. The rack I had before was a similar length , i only changed so that I could open the van tailgate One thing for sure they sell like hot cakes on eBay if you do change it

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I got a Saris Bones 2 from Halfords with a Bike Beam. Works great. Individual weight is above the reccomended weight but obviously under the total weight. Got two strong Velcro straps to stop it swinging and stop the front wheel spinning. Lifetime warranty on everything. Very easy to assemble (3 minutes) Overall very happy with it and saves putting a filthy bike in the car with the seats down and wrestling with it after a long ride!! Only issue is the licence plate which I’m going to address this week unless anyone has any hacks??

E617D91B-C938-485E-B1D8-03AB91FBD7E3.jpeg

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Skoda Yeti with its fabulous Varioflex rear seats. Middle seat removed, side seat pushed closer towars the centre and folded down.
Back wheel goes into that well, pedals on the side seats. Secured with quick release ratchet thingy. Takes around three minutes (including front wheel removal). Nice and secure, out of elements.

IMG_20180729_161825.jpg

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Mine goes in the back of the Civic with seats folded down. Takes a bit of wrestling (and not giving a shit about the interior helps!) but practice makes it easier. I think subconsciously it's why I've never bothered getting a decent car, the fear of my pride and joy hanging off the back is long in the memory.

Reactions: Dax

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Yup same with mine. I’ve had a nice car and was constantly worried about it and couldn’t ever use it for anything I enjoyed, like riding!

Treat mine like a van, was just the faff of the seats down and up all the time and worrying I might ding something in the process in and out..

Feels stable as houses on that rack. Looking into licence plate options but don’t have wiring for a rear light stack etc..

Will post when I’ve set something up.

How much was the van leff and what sort of MPG do you get?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Get a washer in the back as well..and a small genny for midday charge :)

Looking awesome though mate. I’m jealous! Some have said simple strap downs to the side on the bars same way as Dirt Bikes are secured..

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
Yup same with mine. I’ve had a nice car and was constantly worried about it and couldn’t ever use it for anything I enjoyed, like riding!

Treat mine like a van, was just the faff of the seats down and up all the time and worrying I might ding something in the process in and out..

Feels stable as houses on that rack. Looking into licence plate options but don’t have wiring for a rear light stack etc..

Will post when I’ve set something up.

How much was the van leff and what sort of MPG do you get?
Van was 4k, 11 plate with 70,000 on it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Skoda Yeti with its fabulous Varioflex rear seats. Middle seat removed, side seat pushed closer towars the centre and folded down.
Back wheel goes into that well, pedals on the side seats. Secured with quick release ratchet thingy. Takes around three minutes (including front wheel removal). Nice and secure, out of elements.

View attachment 8158
With your seats all folded flat why didn't you just lay the bike down with both wheels on?

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I use a Nissan Elgrand I’ve had it 4 years, can get 4 adults and 4 bikes in without front wheels on or 3 bikes with wheels on and bars turned at 90 degrees.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
With your seats all folded flat why didn't you just lay the bike down with both wheels on?

Tried that of course, it will fit with passenger seat backrest down, but fair bit of wrestling is required. Pedals are always trying to latch onto something, pushing from back then go around and pull.
For me, (with right shoulder badly damaged in moto accident) it is easier and quicker to just remove the front wheel, lower the dropper, and roll it on the back wheel till it drops into the well and rests against the centre console. I figured out the right position of pedals when they end up resting on back sets after the backward roll. Pic shows incorrect position but I've mastered that since.

The roofline design on Yeti is the key. Although it looks quirky, the flat roof is much more practical than the sloping roofline design on the new breed of small SUV's. I was visiting car dealers with a tape measure in my hand. My minimum opening thru back gate requirement was 930mm. Tried Subaru XV, KIA Sportage, RAV4, Honda HRV - all failed.

Anyway, Yeti turned out to be fantastic car to drive on and off road (2.0 turbo diesel, 4x4), ticks all the boxes for me.

Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have bought the Thule VeloSpace XT 938 2 bike rack, extendable to 3 with a gadget (extra cost).

13-pin electrics, foot operated tilt, folding. Weighs 18.7kg. Max vertical load is 60kg, max individual bike weight is 30kg. Lockable rack to car, bike to rack, one key. Max tyre width 4.7”

£425 from Halfords (a UK company). Free delivery, or click & collect
I opted for the click and collect to the local Halfords and unexpectedly got an extra 10% off, so £382.50.

Very happy with it so far, very solid and robust bit of kit. The keys take a bit of wiggling to get them in the locks though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know that exact model, but this may help.
My Thule VeloSpace XT 938 2 bike rack, (extendable to 3) is designed for bikes up to 30kg and wide tyres up to 4.7".

The aluminium tread measures 1250mm, but extends underneath the plastic end caps, which make the overall length 1330mm. The end caps are shaped so that they don't get in the way of the tyres.

My Focus Jam2 size large has a wheelbase of 1230, which fits easily onto the rack. But the bike with its 29" wheels is longer than the car is wide!

Cooldaddygroove

Jul 11, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Well, if you are like me, 90 percent of the time it's just me + bike + car driving to meet my friends to go ride. Simple solution, very light, and modified to hold a single bike, the Yakima LiteRider was perfect. It takes all of 60 seconds to mount to the car, it weighs nothing and I can carry the rack in one hand, and it's pretty cheap.

I modified it from a 2-bike rack to a 1-bike rack by re-positioning the blocks like in the pics. Hoist the bike up, slide 3 clips in, and I'm gone.

Best part about it is that there is no bike sway because there are 3 mounting points for the bike now.

Bike and rack don't even wiggle while driving

20190412_102510.jpg

20190416_175741.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles