Where do you stick yours?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Bike, that is, in/on your vehicle? And if on your vehicle, what do use?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
7 bikes one car!

Thule roof bars and bike racks and Thule Easyfold XT3 (I believe it is called that) for the Levo / Stumpjumper and another.

IMG_0063.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's a lot of bikes!

Unfortunately, I don't have a tow bar which turns a £400 purchase into an £800 purchase. :(

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
That is a lot of bikes, the steering must feel very light if those are all ebikes on the back?
How did you squeeze 7 people into that car?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That is a lot of bikes, the steering must feel very light if those are all ebikes on the back?
How did you squeeze 7 people into that car?
It’s a 7 seater. Only a single EMTB on the back, the other is a Stumpjumper Fattie and my daughters Boardman. It has a weight limit of 60KG so fine with 2 EMTB’s and a vintage bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If I had 800 quid lying around I'd buy a spare battery! :p

My problems are threefold;
  1. Lifting the eBike in and out of the car is playing havoc with my back.
  2. Vertical lifts are usually OK, but roof mounted racks seem to top out at 20kg.
  3. I have a dog that I'd like to take with me but she's not comfortable in the car unless she's in her crate which doesn't leave room for the bike.
I'm looking for inspiration before I spunk stupid money on a towbar and Thule Velospeed 918. I could buy a cheap van for less FFS! :rolleyes:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If I had 800 quid lying around I'd buy a spare battery! :p

My problems are threefold;
  1. Lifting the eBike in and out of the car is playing havoc with my back.
  2. Vertical lifts are usually OK, but roof mounted racks seem to top out at 20kg.
  3. I have a dog that I'd like to take with me but she's not comfortable in the car unless she's in her crate which doesn't leave room for the bike.
I'm looking for inspiration before I spunk stupid money on a towbar and Thule Velospeed 918. I could buy a cheap van for less FFS! :rolleyes:
I agree, its so frustrating. I could find no other option at all other than this (other than taking wheels off and sticking it in the boot, which is not ideal).

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I can recommend one of these , especially if you have a van or car with a large tailgate
I tried 3 racks on my vw transporter including Thule but none allowed me access to the tailgate t
This as far as know is the only rack that will allow access to tailgate or rear doors on a van
Quality is very good and it’s very compact when not in use .

Atera STRADA DL 3 to 4 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2603.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My buzzrack allows me to open the tailgate on my grand cherokee

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
Yes, many have a tilting feature but the one referenced by Kernow do it in a more ingenious way that should work with almost any car.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Yes, many have a tilting feature but the one referenced by Kernow do it in a more ingenious way that should work with almost any car.
That’s what I was trying to say ? It’s the only one that works with vans like vw transporter transit Vito etc with iether barn doors or tailgate . As you can see in the pic below , normal tilt won’t give clearance

51A49B2A-71AF-4019-90AB-F5AD026F1266.jpeg

Stretch

Feb 11, 2018
UK, Fleet
Hi @Biscuit, great to meet you too. Sounds like you are loving your Levo (y)

The guy that did mine: Home - Top Banana Mobile

Highly recommended and fits for main dealers.

Cheers
Rob.
Hi @Biscuit. If you met Rob at Swinley, I suspect you live somewhere local. Today I had a towbar fitted by these guys www.towbarmansouth.co.uk (office based in Farnborough). I'll be honest I was initially put off by their web site but they were the only local company that could do it for me at such short notice before the Easter week end so decided to take a chance. Was super impressed with both the product and the service I received from them, highly recommended. If you have not chosen a fitter and you live near the Fleet, I'll be happy to show you the work they did on my vehicle today if you interested. BTW I also love my Levo :) Nice bike choice, yet to bump into another Levo at Swinley :-(

Biscuit

Mar 24, 2018
Surrey
Hi @Biscuit. If you met Rob at Swinley, I suspect you live somewhere local. Today I had a towbar fitted by these guys www.towbarmansouth.co.uk (office based in Farnborough). I'll be honest I was initially put off by their web site but they were the only local company that could do it for me at such short notice before the Easter week end so decided to take a chance. Was super impressed with both the product and the service I received from them, highly recommended. If you have not chosen a fitter and you live near the Fleet, I'll be happy to show you the work they did on my vehicle today if you interested. BTW I also love my Levo :) Nice bike choice, yet to bump into another Levo at Swinley :-(
Hi @Stretch, good to hear of another local company, I’m still trying to decide what bike carrier to buy, I like the look of the Witter zxe, but would be good to see what you have had fitted. Lifting the bike in and out of the car is becoming a right pain. If your planning a ride @swinley this morning/weekend it would be good to meet up ?

Iain at the back

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2018
Labamo
What kind of prices are you guys paying to have a tow bar fitted? I had my serviced last week and the dealer quoted £1200. By the time you add the £600 Bike rack, taking the wheels off and putting it in the boot looks so appealing

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
What kind of prices are you guys paying to have a tow bar fitted? I had my serviced last week and the dealer quoted £1200. By the time you add the £600 Bike rack, taking the wheels off and putting it in the boot looks so appealing
Mine was about £200 fitted by the same guy that the main dealers use. I bought all the kit myself (Geniune OEM) and got the towbar itself online from PF Jones Witter Tow bars, Westfalia Towbars, Price Promise all Tow bars. Eberspacher Main Dealer

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Out here in the sticks it's £300ish for fixed ball 7-pin and about £70 more for 13-pin. That's for universal electrics (scotchlocks...), dedicated electrics are a couple of hundred quid more.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Depends greatly what vehicle it is surely there’s no fixed price
, towbar for my Astra estate was about £100 on eBay and under £50 to fit using my local garage , then I found Vauxhaul wanted £150 for a wiring kit and there wasn’t any choice , luckily my friendly mechanic found a way round it for a third of that cost .
Wouldn’t want to pay for a new one on my vw transporter these days from what I hear .

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
My Haibike and the wifes Giant go on the roof rack of a Dacia sandero stepway .
But I will be upgrading to a towbar mount system very soon as the weight on the roof bars worries me a little
Ade

Theolegit

Patreon
Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Halstead
My Haibike and the wifes Giant go on the roof rack of a Dacia sandero stepway .
But I will be upgrading to a towbar mount system very soon as the weight on the roof bars worries me a little
Ade
Brave

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles