Where can I get Schwalbe tires which are puncture resistant?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I need 29 inch 2.6 wide Schwalbe either Smart Sam or Nobby Nic type but with really high puncture protection.
I want to use tubes still.
I’ve found the Schwalbe website really confusing and don’t know what I’m even looking for.

Superlukey

Aug 25, 2018
Hertfordshire
Hi. Had my Kenevo a year now. Done 2,500k on tubelless with just one puncture (which quickly sealed itself) and none since. Guessing you have a reason for tubes but tubeless is one of the best things I've ever done ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If such a thing exists, then it will be really heavy. Maybe even heavier than using a Slime tube. Slime make heavy duty tubes that also have their own Slime sealant in them. They are not puncture proof, but they are flat proof (mostly, you will still get snake bit punctures if you hit a rock going too fast)

A lighter, but equally flat proof (but snake bite proof) solution is to go tubeless.

Going tubeless is very much easier than beginners make it look, but only slightly harder than experts make it look. Give it a go and you will soon be an expert.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I have used Slime tubes, but they don't come in sizes suitable for 2.6" tyres (not that I've found anyway - I was using them with 2.25" tyres).

If you really want to keep using tubes, and if the tubes have removable valve cores, you can buy Slime in a bottle to fill your normal tubes.

Otherwise, the only tyres that have significant puncture protection are usually commuter or touring tyres, not really suitable for serious off road use (and much smaller than 2.6").

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I had Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my hardtail as I don't do much off roading on it, they claim to be pretty much puncture proof, mine are 2.1 inches but think they are available a bit wider... I have since replaced them with 2.25 wide Smart Sam Plus, they are more puncture resistant than puncture proof though.

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
Hi. Have you thought about Tannus armour inserts. I’ve been using them for a few months, and they seem to do the job. I’ve added slime to the tubes for extra protection and I’m able to run lower tyre pressures.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Hi. Have you thought about Tannus armour inserts. I’ve been using them for a few months, and they seem to do the job. I’ve added slime to the tubes for extra protection and I’m able to run lower tyre pressures.

Yes it does seem that the Tannus armour is worth a try. Can you put it in one wheel at a time or would this make the bike feel unbalanced?

Madmatt75

Nov 22, 2018
London
Yes it does seem that the Tannus armour is worth a try. Can you put it in one wheel at a time or would this make the bike feel unbalanced?
You could put it in the rear wheel as that takes the biggest hits. As for balance, I don’t think it makes much of a difference as it doesn’t weigh much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles