Which Cube Stereo Hybrid is right for me?

sigg

Jul 1, 2020
Poland
Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading from my Cube Acid hardtail to a full suspension Stereo Hybrid.

I'm however having some problems with all the different models - 120, 140, 160, Pro Race, HPC, TM, SL. Which one is worth getting for my style of riding?

I enjoy riding in the forest - single trails, light hills. Some roots, some rocks. Not really into downhill, jumping or some hardcore drops. I also use my bike to get to the trails im riding so it's not 100% dirt roads, but some asphalt and bicycle lanes.

Would 120 be enough? Or is 140 better? 160 seems to be a bit of an overkill. And if so - which version to get?

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I'd say 120 would cope but you'd be better off with 140.The rest comes down to budget ie Race would be fine and you could upgrade certain parts as you progress but TM if you can afford it

Reactions: Maz

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have often asked exactly the same question as at some point I’ll be upgrading my Cube hardtail to a full suspension bike. The 120 will probably be all i need.
the other thing to think about is the Cube 120 is an aluminium frame and anything with more travel is only available in carbon. All my carbon shafted golf clubs have either splintered, snapped or shattered yet my metal ones are as good as the day I bought them ?

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
I think the TM is over the top for what you do which in turn means higher priced. If I were you I'd go model lower than TM and dependant on your weight a 625 battery but if you're a lightweight a 500 will do and will be cheaper.

Ananda

Jun 29, 2019
Athens
Hi,

I'm planning on upgrading from my Cube Acid hardtail to a full suspension Stereo Hybrid.

I'm however having some problems with all the different models - 120, 140, 160, Pro Race, HPC, TM, SL. Which one is worth getting for my style of riding?

I enjoy riding in the forest - single trails, light hills. Some roots, some rocks. Not really into downhill, jumping or some hardcore drops. I also use my bike to get to the trails im riding so it's not 100% dirt roads, but some asphalt and bicycle lanes.

Would 120 be enough? Or is 140 better? 160 seems to be a bit of an overkill. And if so - which version to get?

The faster you go off road, the more suspension travel you will appreciate having. The 120 bikes apart from lower suspension, they have longer chainstays (which makes them more stable) and a lower seat height (which makes them more suitable for everyday riding).
So the question to ask yourself is whether you are a recreational rider going places, or a rider who tends to push his comfort/safety zone and will ride with full on protection etc.

sigg

Jul 1, 2020
Poland
The faster you go off road, the more suspension travel you will appreciate having. The 120 bikes apart from lower suspension, they have longer chainstays (which makes them more stable) and a lower seat height (which makes them more suitable for everyday riding).
So the question to ask yourself is whether you are a recreational rider going places, or a rider who tends to push his comfort/safety zone and will ride with full on protection etc.

Thanks. The thing is i don't really have that much terrain around me that would require 140mm suspension. I live in a very flat area where the highest hills have maybe 50-100 meters.

So on one hand I would like to have a bigger suspension that would allow me to ride harder trails and be more terrain proof, but on the other hand the reality is I will be mostly riding on stuff that you could as well do on a hardtail (albeit less comfortable) and I'm afraid the bigger suspension will make the bike less responsive and slower.

This is how most of the trails look around here:

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
Interesting discussion. I have a Cube Reaction Pro hardtail and am in the market for a full suspension bike. My hardtail has 29" wheels and I was leaning towards getting a bike with 27.5" wheels but if I go for another Cube that means the 160. Otherwise I had been thinking of the 140 SL. I think the 140 and 160 are pretty much the same price.

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
Interesting discussion. I have a Cube Reaction Pro hardtail and am in the market for a full suspension bike. My hardtail has 29" wheels and I was leaning towards getting a bike with 27.5" wheels but if I go for another Cube that means the 160. Otherwise I had been thinking of the 140 SL. I think the 140 and 160 are pretty much the same price.
I’ve had both and I would say for the price the 160 sl is a much better bike. The fox 34’s really let the 140 version down. It’s great for trail riding but if you want to progress onto bigger stuff you would need to upgrade. TM version would be the lowest spec I would go with personally and that would be fine for most stuff. As for the 160 sl 2021 it’s pretty impressive for the money. The Zeb forks and the deluxe on the back will cope with anything. I ride mine down the craziest black runs I can find and it’s a beast. Only thing Ive changed out was the wheels, cassette and chain, everything else was fine.

Reallycristoff

Sep 30, 2020
F.O.D
I have a 140 Race and to be honest, I wish id gone for a TM. Its still a very capable bike but the RS 35 Golds are a bit ... meh.

I'm'a keep my race for a year and then invest in a 160 action team.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles