When will someone put out a 52v emtb

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
The whole emtb category is just so stagnant now imo. All the other ebikes categories are pushing the envelope of the technology and emtbs are stuck with these low power assist only drivetrains that also greatly limit the speed. Its really sort of sad because the other segments of ebikes just do what they want and dont worry about meeting the strict class which frankly I doubt most riders even care about except for the older and ultra careful crowd. I just saw a chimera bmx ebike live and in the flesh and it was so sick, goes 35 mph by throttle alone.

Someone needs to put out a proper 52v emtb. Class 1 be damned. They will devour the segment. Its not like its illegal to sell an ebike with more power so I am not sure what the developers are waiting for. Give us a new and exciting ride experience. I dont see the value in buying another class 1 emtb that is essentially the same product I already have with some minor tweaks. If I ever buy another emtb, its gonna have to be a more powerful platform.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
You already have the option. If you want an EMTB there are plenty to choose from, likewise if you want a high powered bike for use on private land. If you want an electric motorcycle there are also plenty to choose from.

The last thing we need is morons rocking up to Halfords and getting their hands on a 35mph EMTB, I don't think I could be trusted on a 35mph EMTB.

With your speed requirements also comes additional battery requirements and hence additional weight. Most MTB riders accept the weight of an EMTB up to a point. But it's generally accepted added weight only holds you back.

You don't generally see 52v systems on regular EMTB's because they're not needed, you can pull enough current from high capacity cells in a 36v pack to run up to about 1Kw, without having to resort to expensive electronics. Also, 36v systems are far friendlier when it comes to connectors etc.

Lastly, and I've said this before loads of times.... The moment an electric bicycle stops being a bicycle (i.e. something a pensioner or teenager can safely use) the government will hammer us with all sorts of rules and regulations, insurance, registration etc. Embrace the fact you can jump on your RAIL and pop down the shops in board shorts and flip flops with no license tax insurance or crash helmet if you want. Phew!

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
The last thing we need is morons rocking up to Halfords and getting their hands on a 35mph EMTB, I don't think I could be trusted on a 35mph EMTB.
there were already some kids in Wales doing that (on Suron ebikes?), however they are dead now :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You seem to be mixing two different discussions ??

One : That you want a 35mph bike with a throttle. You can already buy electric motorbikes. It's really annoying whenever some knob is behaving anti-socially on an Electric motorbike and the press say "Electric Bike" or "Electric Mountain Bike". It's not. It's a motorbike, with an electric motor as opposed to a 4 stroke or 2 stroke petrol engine.

Two : When are we going to see 52v bikes ? I think there might be an EU law restricting e-bikes to 48v, but I might be wrong.

There is a new Full Fat 52v motor due for release (Pedalec, so 25kph/32kph restricted) so I'm not sure how they'll deal with the 48v law. Either it doesn't exist, it's lapsed, there are get out clauses or they've campaigned to remove it.

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
Too heavy for emtb. All that weight needs stiffer suspension and power needs beefier frame and drivetrain. You just end up with a motorbike.

Maybe some use to those living in countries with lots of wide open, legally available, places to ride. No good here in the uk.

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
yes it is, but that was the OP request, to have an e-bike (pedelec, moto etc.) that goes to 35mph.

I agree that 25km/h limit is stupid, I can do more on my ebike on a flat (without an assistance), I do more when I ride down, I can ride >40km/h on my road bike....

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
If you want to go faster buy a motorbike, simple really. 👍
no i want an emtb with like 3 kW. i have a 72v surron with 15kw and its awesome but its still not an emtb, it weighs like 125 pounds. what i dont get is all the crap ebikes they are putting out have more power than these expensive emtbs that are good for actual mountain biking. i really think someone should focus on that segment of putting higher voltage and power drive units in proper emtbs. just dont sell them as class 1 bikes, they can still be sold. sometimes i see people out at the trailhead with these garbage ebikes that have at least twice the power of the class 1s and im left wondering why we have spent all this money on these piddling drive units

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I fitted a 52v bbshd to a hard tail. The 1kw motor (running around 1600w) and the 1000wh battery that only gave it 20 miles range on flat ground weighed a total of 11kg.

A 3kw motor is going to want a bloody big battery, would probably weigh 10kg on its own. It’s just not feasible while trying to keep the agility of a mtb.

That’s why you don’t see emtbs with 3kW motors.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
no i want an emtb with like 3 kW. i have a 72v surron with 15kw and its awesome but its still not an emtb, it weighs like 125 pounds. what i dont get is all the crap ebikes they are putting out have more power than these expensive emtbs that are good for actual mountain biking. i really think someone should focus on that segment of putting higher voltage and power drive units in proper emtbs. just dont sell them as class 1 bikes, they can still be sold. sometimes i see people out at the trailhead with these garbage ebikes that have at least twice the power of the class 1s and im left wondering why we have spent all this money on these piddling drive units
Because garbage ebikes don't ride like a proper 'enduro' sled. The bikes with piddling drive units are still bicycles at heart, with all the trail shredding capability that comes with a regular bike, just with some extra nudge to get you back to the top.

Try riding a decent line on a crappy 3kw bike that was 3000usd and see where it gets you.

I just don't understand the fascination with the more more more mentality when it's already catered for. You can always use the 'This bike was half the price and is more powerful than mine' argument, but the bike WILL be a total pile of crap, will ride like a pile of crap, and will eventually put the rider off when it breaks and becomes unrepairable.

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
no i want an emtb with like 3 kW. i have a 72v surron with 15kw and its awesome but its still not an emtb
.... WTF you are talking about?
do you want an ebike or pedalec/moto?

you have ebikes putting 600W and you want 5x more.... how do you want it to be class1 ebike/bike ? (ah...sorry
"just dont sell them as class 1 bikes"
so you don't want an ebike anymore, and you want to use it on your private land then....)
it's difficult to manage power/grip/front tire on a ground while climbing on ebike cat1, how do you expect to do that with 5 times !! more powerful motor ??? only way is to have a throttle, so you can fully focus on balancing with your body, which makes it pedelec/motorbike.

TQFreak

Dec 2, 2022
USA
There is Optibike with such power. It looks like pretty good 2500W emtb with its own motor. There are also good frames for Bafang m620 motor you can turn to 3000W and equip with good components. Some sells complete emtb bikes with unleashed m620 motor and good components like Watt Wagons or Luna.

You do need 2000-3000W power to climb more than 40% grade slopes on emtb

Last edited:

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I fitted a 52v bbshd to a hard tail. The 1kw motor (running around 1600w) and the 1000wh battery that only gave it 20 miles range on flat ground weighed a total of 11kg.

A 3kw motor is going to want a bloody big battery, would probably weigh 10kg on its own. It’s just not feasible while trying to keep the agility of a mtb.

That’s why you don’t see emtbs with 3kW motors.
fine maybe 3kw is too much to expect on an emtb but something like this at 1.6kw i think would be the sort of drive unit i would like to see on a proper emtb. and an easily hot swapable battery so you can have 2 batteries and not need to weigh it down too much in the quest for range. these emtbs are not cheap and if someone were selling one with 2.5 times the power in a nice package with premium parts and correct geometry i know where i would be putting my money and it wouldnt be on the same old class 1 platform

i have seen alot of diy builds that achieve just this with the cyc motors but overall these bike are not great with the clumsy drive unit integration and the batteries precariously hanging off the frames. i want to see that level of power in a refined package like we are used to with the class 1s

michael_bc

Sep 4, 2023
Laax, Switzerland
The whole emtb category is just so stagnant now imo. All the other ebikes categories are pushing the envelope of the technology and emtbs are stuck with these low power assist only drivetrains that also greatly limit the speed.
The reason is that most people who buy an electric mountain bike want to ride it in the mountains. You cannot ride alpine downhill trails and hiking trails using an electric motorbike equivalent.

That said, you can order such monster eMTBs from China, e.g., Best Value off road Electric Mountain Bike | Frey Ebike

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The tq hpr 50 motor and battery is a 50v system. Not that the voltage makes much difference in the real world to anything anyway

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles