Wheel dish - Cube Hardtail

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Is this something I should have LBS do or can I do myself (loosening spokes on one side and tightening on the other). Or just leave it be?
20220907_113841.jpg
20220907_113806.jpg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
are they new wheels? factory built?
with that amount of dish off, with factory wheels you should get away with tightening just the one side to pull it accross?
Use a tie wrap to measure from the chain stay to stay even on all spokes. Half turn on each spoke per rotation i would say, and if you do need to slacken the other side, agian half turn on each spoke.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Do you know that the wheel is not dished correctly? I mean I know it looks incorrect when compared to the left and right chainstays in your images, but thats kind of irrelevent on its own, the back wheel needs to be in line with the front wheel and not necessarily centred on the chainstays. You would expect most bike rear wheels to be centred on the chainstays and that also means in line with the front wheel, but I wouldnt assume this for all frames - ie the chainstays may not be symetrical by design..... rubbish design, but still

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
are they new wheels? factory built?
with that amount of dish off, with factory wheels you should get away with tightening just the one side to pull it accross?
Use a tie wrap to measure from the chain stay to stay even on all spokes. Half turn on each spoke per rotation i would say, and if you do need to slacken the other side, agian half turn on each spoke.

Factory wheels, to be honest I always thought it's supposed to be like that. Bike is like 4 months old.

Do you know that the wheel is not dished correctly? I mean I know it looks incorrect when compared to the left and right chainstays in your images, but thats kind of irrelevent on its own, the back wheel needs to be in line with the front wheel and not necessarily centred on the chainstays. You would expect most bike rear wheels to be centred on the chainstays and that also means in line with the front wheel, but I wouldnt assume this for all frames - ie the chainstays may not be symetrical by design..... rubbish design, but still

I dunno if it's supposed to look like this, that's why I'm asking here. I think I will go check LBS for their showroom bikes to see if they have it like that from factory.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
They sometimes favour non drive side a bit more dish wise for tyre and chain clearance in the lower gears
But i must admit that does look a little bit too much
What do the seat stays look like in comparison ?

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
From behind it's quite visible that there's more clearance on the cassette side all along. However the wheel looks pretty centered to the seat post. Drive side chain stay and seat stay are more protruding than the other side. I could measure the distance to the spokes, but it looks like 1 cm difference. Perhaps to accommodate for 12 speed cassette? Could be on purpose, I wonder if other manufacturers do something like that?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
From behind it's quite visible that there's more clearance on the cassette side all along. However the wheel looks pretty centered to the seat post. Drive side chain stay and seat stay are more protruding than the other side. I could measure the distance to the spokes, but it looks like 1 cm difference. Perhaps to accommodate for 12 speed cassette? Could be on purpose, I wonder if other manufacturers do something like that?

I suspect that if the wheel centre line is inline with the centre of the seat post/tube then its all correct and its how its supposed to be.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
That's too close on the non drive side and is the reason for the paint rub in your other thread.
Are you sure there isn't a max tyre size for your frame? Cube website might mention this.

You could make a simple timber frame to measure the dish on either side and see if there's a difference.
If you are going to adjust the dish, loosen the non drive side spoke nipples 1/4 turn and tighten the drive side 1/4. Start at the valve so you know when to finish. Do the same again if you need more clearance - Or take it to a shop.

Eliadn

Jul 25, 2022
Croatia
Forgot to close this issue! The wheel was out of dish by good 2 cm. LBS fixed it and now it's properly centered. Must have happened during one of the tumbles :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles