Wheel building - what hub?

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
I've got a set of 42mm rims that I think I'm gonna use to build a strong/decent weight wheel that also can be used on an ebike. So what hub is out there that are strong and not too expensive (Chris king is not in my budget). I know of DT 350's , and I've got good experience with HOPE, but I'm not too sure about pawls and how much tourq they can take. Would also need steel freehub or steel "slot" in the aluminium freehub so the cassett won't eat up the aluminium freehub.

So, any suggestions to a good solid hub that can take the tourq?

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
I’ve tried Novatec hubs but not on an ebike. They seem pretty good bang for buck.

As there are no distributor here, there are no easy accessible spare parts. So Novatec is excluded. They do make hubs for other known brands though, so they do have quality hubs in their lineup. Problem is knowing which one.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
If you want to avoid the cassette chewing up the hub perhaps a XD driver and SRAM cassette is the way to go.
I have DT Swiss M1501 on my ebike and had no issues at all. I like how quiet the ratchet clutch is compared to a Hope. Don't think you'd have any problems with a Hope though.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
superstar do pretty good hubs usually fitted with quality bearings

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
May be worth a call to hope to see what recommend, they are very helpful easy to service and get parts for , DT Swiss and hope are my favourite hubs fir lasting and easy service , mavic are ok but not as strong
Also need to look at spokes j pull us stronger than strait pull , I notice ebike specific wheels using j pull spokes .

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I replaced the Formula rear hub on my Meta with Hope Pro 4 because I didn't like the 20T engagement. I don't think you should be worried if the hub can handle the torque as it's recommended from XC to DH. I personally don't produce as much torque even with the motor as a pro XC rider. :)
The good thing about Hope is that you can get a steel freehub body so the cassette won't chew it up.
As for noise - the Hope Pro 4 is not any louder than the DT 350 with 36T ratchet on my other bike - which is also a good choice and the same price as the Hope. I choose Hope over DT 350 because the flanges are the same on the Formula and I didn't have to buy new spokes just swapped the hubs.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
As for noise - the Hope Pro 4 is not any louder than the DT 350 with 36T ratchet on my other bike
The DT240 must be different to the 350 as all I can hear when my mates are behind me is their Hope hubs not mine!?
Lots of Hope parts on my bikes they are great don’t think I have a downer on them.....

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
The DT240 must be different to the 350 as all I can hear when my mates are behind me is their Hope hubs not mine!?
Lots of Hope parts on my bikes they are great don’t think I have a downer on them.....

I never had a 240 but the ratchet is the same with the 350... maybe the hub's acoustic is different :)

Seric

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
Norway
I never had a 240 but the ratchet is the same with the 350... maybe the hub's acoustic is different :)

The ratchet system is not as loud ad the hope-bzzzzzzzzz. But if you use oil in the DT hub, you get more sound. And if you then compare it to a well/overly greased Hope-hub, you'd probably hear the DTover the Hope.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
The ratchet system is not as loud ad the hope-bzzzzzzzzz. But if you use oil in the DT hub, you get more sound. And if you then compare it to a well/overly greased Hope-hub, you'd probably hear the DTover the Hope.
I have both (350/36T and Pro4) and to me, they are the same loudness with little bit different tone. But I don't have a dB meter... :)

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
I have hope pro 4 hubs and hope rims. With XD driver with a Sram cassette. Had no problems as yet.
I got Hope, because of the reliability and you will always get your hands on spares.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Heads up with hope hubs they are great however I discovered a problem that can leave you stranded . The free hub unusually has 3 bearings , the inner is a pair of bearings and the innermost one gets more muck in it from the freewheel , it can fail and you won’t notice any play until it breaks up and throws all the pieces into the freewheel and causes a lot of damage . Mine cost me a new free hub and a 6 mile push / carry home . first signs of this happening was the normaly noisy freewheel getting quiet ,which I didn’t notice due to the tiny ball bearings falling into it as the bearing breaks up , and then the indexing failed causing the chain to ride over the top of the cassette into the spokes . More regular checking is all it needs but without the tool required to refit the hub and seemingly bulletproof nature of the hub I paid for neglect . If the freewheel is feeling tight or just quiet or your getting chain suck then whip it off and check the bearings .

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Heads up with hope hubs they are great however I discovered a problem that can leave you stranded . The free hub unusually has 3 bearings , the inner is a pair of bearings and the innermost one gets more muck in it from the freewheel , it can fail and you won’t notice any play until it breaks up and throws all the pieces into the freewheel and causes a lot of damage . Mine cost me a new free hub and a 6 mile push / carry home . first signs of this happening was the normaly noisy freewheel getting quiet ,which I didn’t notice due to the tiny ball bearings falling into it as the bearing breaks up , and then the indexing failed causing the chain to ride over the top of the cassette into the spokes . More regular checking is all it needs but without the tool required to refit the hub and seemingly bulletproof nature of the hub I paid for neglect . If the freewheel is feeling tight or just quiet or your getting chain suck then whip it off and check the bearings .
Good advice! I had a similar bearing failure in a Superstar freehub but I caught it when I swapped the wheels.

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
What tool is required to service Pro4 hub? The freehub seal tool maybe? I'v done service to my own hubs several times and it's tight fitting seal but possible to install without specific tool and with no damage to hub or seal. On the otherhand bearings should be pressed in with tools that fit perfectly.

Heads More regular checking is all it needs but without the tool required to refit the hub and seemingly bulletproof nature of the hub I paid for neglect . If the freewheel is feeling tight or just quiet or your getting chain suck then whip it off and check the bearings .

Uppy

Mar 8, 2018
Cambridgeshire
I have hope fortus 35 wheelset with pro4 hubs, with a steel cassette freehub..I contact hope and they said the wheelset should be fine on a ebike. As long as you choose a steel cassette freehub

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I use Industry Nine hubs for all my custom wheel builds. Great engagement (particularly the new Hydra), reliable, light, and decent flexibility/interchangeability for various freehubs and axle types and sizes. I prefer the I9 hubs that use standard spokes (vs I9's proprietary spokes). I built a couple wheelsets on 40mm and 45mm rims and they've been bombproof.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles