What's your "best" bike ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Not really expecting this thread to gain much traction, but I think it's interesting all the same.

"Best" is obviously very subjective.

In my mind "best" is a collection and culmination of ideas/ideals/theories/preferences/values.

At present, my "best" bike is my 2019 Kenevo Expert. For me, anyone buying a second hand bike, just coming into the EMTB world for instance, it's fits with all the things in my mind which make it the "best" ..

1685132383217.png

The Zaskar next to it, is an example of how things have advanced .. but over 30 years - not really that much.

The Gen1 Kenevo is Solidly built ! Mine's been crashed more times than a Dodgem. The 1.3 Brose is fast as hell, with 42v full charged and 20 amps, you get 840w, so it leaves pretty much anything else for dead on a climb.

It's fortunate that it has the absolutely shite Brose motor (though in fairness probably the most reliable version). Why's that good ? Because it's so crap that there's a whole industry available to repair and replace it as necessary unlike every other ebike motor.

It's also out of the box, spec'd really well with great forks (ok, a little skinny and scary at times) incredible shock (once you get the spring right) and amazing brakes and gears (once you give all the SRAM crap to someone who won't be a friend afterwards).

It's also faster up and down than anything else I have ridden. It's also more sketchy and I've broken more bones on it than anything else in my life, both collar bones, all my ribs, pelvis and a shoulder. But I still love it.

It's the best.

Subjective. Remember Value counts. Spending 15k on some shiny thing that's "worth" half that 2 days later is not "best" ..

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’m gonna throw this in.

Primary as it’ll provoke argument, that it’s not an EMTb, though in part it’s not true, it was sold to assist with the Levo purchase
IMG_4020.jpeg

That there bike tore both meniscus, or should I say the climb to the top of many a Monroe did without a motor
Crippled walks half way down, had me leaner and fitter than I’d ever been and really tore up the trails whilst in betrayal of the need for full sus! Almost always guaranteed a bike ride & walk of shame when it broke me!
No matter how hard I fell, it was always waiting for it’s next outing, it had thrown me off many a time eating gravel and using my face as brakes and loyally landing (on me) and knocking the wind out my lungs
Still remember showing off at the kids bike park - Jumping and landing with loose stem bolts arguing with the landing wheels going one way, bars the other and me through the middle
In its day, it was never cutting edge, granted only 5 years ago, though seems an eternity.
With many incarnations of bike prior this one has fondest memory for reliability

In comparison to my current Levo (which is currently terminal again) it gave sterling reliable service, smashing the gnarliest of trails that it perhaps shouldn’t & shaming the bigger bikes with their tuned fork and shock!
id say since getting rid, I’m a worse rider and think too much of consequence and chicken out too often, that used to smash through everything, whether it be flowing trail, rock gardens, jumps or river crossings….

Cost of ownership was nada other than purchase, maintenance was unheard and gave two years of joy!
That was until the legs couldn’t take the abuse!

Id go as far to suggest that bike offered equal affection as I gave it & thought nothing of the abuse and neglect
My Levo is an ar5ehole by comparison, I love it dearly, it’s high maintenance, more than sure it’s having an affair with the bike shop and always wanting something and pitifully broken
Want Want want - I’m “bitter” and in need of something dependable, moreso as I’ve just blown the new bike monies on a family holiday and the Levo reacted by shitting the bed!
Just a shame, one can’t stalk bikes, like a jealous man would on Facebook (or the likes) as I’d happily go searching for where that bike is now!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well for me it has to be by slayers.

I dont have my own e-bike yet. That is winging it's way to me right now. I have been using my daughters Orbea Rise. Which is a cool bike. But it's not capable enough on the down to come close even close to a rating.
That amount of crazy ass barely ridable sometimes not ridable track I have ridden on those 2 beasts if foolhardy.

20230513_155439.jpg

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
My "best" bike is my current one. It's the first bike I purchased after almost 30 years. My old 90's MTB is also still in my possession, and it has accompanied me on countless shorter and longer tours and holidays. Career and family were always in the foreground, but I never completely lost touch with my old MTB hobby.

Since I've had my Levo SL in 2021 it's beed a completely different story - I never knew much about bike parks and MTB-only trails before, so the new bike has made a whole new world available. On the other hand it's so versatile that I can also use it for commuting (only on holidays, when I don't have to carry my kids to school) and 'classic' bike tours. That's why the Levo SL is my best do-it-all bike. And >7.000 km in less than two years say it all. Loving it!
IMG_3364.jpeg

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
While waiting for delivery of my e160s, I have to say my S150 Cars is the best bike I've owned.

Just so confidence inspiring..... Kind of forced me to do things beyond my comfort zone and made a n00b rider look half decent (that's a push by the way 🤣)

20220917_121455.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Whyte T130C RS.
Whyte large.JPG

Only 130mm travel front and rear, less than the 150 I had before. But that bike inspired me to ride stuff that I hadn't ridden before. The suspension never seemed to run out. I started with knee pain and tried everything to overcome it, without success. It was the last mtb I had before moving to an emtb. I kept it for 3 months and tried to ride it again, but my arthritic knees were still there!
I most sincerely wish that I had never sold it. :(

This an action shot that brings back fond memories. (That blur to the left of my left shoulder is a bird taking flight).

Steve root drop.JPG

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Whyte E160RSX..............one of my current bikes and the best allround bike I have ever had the fortune to ride. Why the best? Firstly it does everything well...climbing, descending, cornering, going fast, and is perfectly balanced with a low centre of gravity. Secondly its build has no silly quirks like knock blocks or cabling through the headset. Thirdly, the component set is top drawer, reliable and easy to maintain........Fox 38/Fox Float X ( both performance Elite), DT Swiss HX 1700 wheelset, Maxxis Assegai/DHR11, SRAM AXS, Raceface cranks,Crank Bros dropper, SRAM Code RSC brakes. 800km of fun so far. Fourth and not least...........Bosch CX motor and 750w/h battery.

Last edited:

JonnyManc

Apr 18, 2023
Cumbria
Whyte E160RSX..............one of my current bikes and the best allround bike I have ever had the fortune to ride. Why the best? Firstly it does everything well...climbing, descending, cornering, going fast, and is perfectly balanced with a low centre of gravity. Secondly its build has no silly quirks like knock blocks or cabling through the headset. Thirdly, the component set is top drawer, reliable and easy to maintain........Fox 38/Fox X2 ( both performance Elite), DT Swiss HX 1700 wheelset, Maxxis Assegai/DHR11, SRAM AXS, Raceface cranks,Crank Bros dropper, SRAM Code RSC brakes. 800km of fun so far. Fourth and not least...........Bosch CX motor and 750w/h battery.
Really wanted the RSX... Just could muster the extra £1700.....

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
My Orbea Oiz M10 TR.

I never thought a bike could feel so good. I feel like I’m flying on this bike.

It’s so nimble, precise and confidence inspiring. I feel like I can “dance” with it” which is funny because I’m very clumsy by nature. It just makes me feel like a better rider than I am.

It’s the “anthracite” & black one below. My husband’s Oiz is in the back.

IMG_1858.jpeg

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Havent owned to many bikes yet but my current bike is the best and my first full suspension bike.
When I suited to it from my hardtail, the funfactor went up alot :).
Also made me shred alot harder and faster.
20230430_155645.jpg

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
My best bike is the one I have now. Whyte E150RS. It feels part of me and makes me feel confident on it.
IMG_8704.jpeg

My other best bike was my old canondale super V 500. Remember them you old ones. That bike I had for twenty years from new when they first came out and rode it like I stole it. Getting on it was like putting my favourite T shirt on, just felt so comfortable. If I had space I would have kept it and hung it on a wall in the house. ( if I had a house). Good times. My Whyte makes me feel the same now.
DSC_0002.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles