What Video Editing Software?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
[humblebrag]I've just bought a Mac M1 [/humblebrag] what video editing software are people using for GoPro footage?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I'm using (if i want to do it properly) power director. But that is on my phone after importing from gopro quik.
My mate swears by Adobe Premier pro on his apple, so that maybe worth a look, having never touched an apple mac, i'm not much use on that front.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
LumaFusion is far easier to use than some of the epic editing packages, and can also be used on iphone on ipad too. You’ll need minimum of iOS 15 with an M1 processor

It still takes ages to make an edit though, and the ‘free’ music library is a bag of shite

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
[humblebrag]I've just bought a Mac M1 [/humblebrag] what video editing software are people using for GoPro footage?
was just about to buy one of these as a laptop or mini.
just use imovie that comes with it, its pretty capable or if you wanna splash, go for final cut. ive had both, imovie is dead easy and FCP is more powerful with tools etc

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Movie Studio Platinum..........its a full fat NLE but short of being the Pro version. For music I use Jamendo.com........fine to use virtually any track as long as you dont monetise your channel..........the artist gets any revenue instead.

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Movie Studio Platinum..........its a full fat NLE but short of being the Pro version. For music I use Jamendo.com........fine to use virtually any track as long as you dont monetise your channel..........the artist gets any revenue instead.
Slightly off topic but whenever I try to upload some of DJ sets to YouTube (not monetized) most of the tracks labels claim the rights no problem but there's always a few that flat out refuse and simply don't let the video get put up at all which is a massive pain in the ass because you either have to redo the whole set without those tracks or redact the audio while those tracks are playing which simply isn't an option as that just kills the set. I've tried all the methods of disputing the copywriting and stating that the labels can monetize but that never works either.

The funny thing is all these tracks that I get rejected are all on many other YouTube channels already?!!! I have no idea how they can upload the full uninterrupted extended version of a track yet I can't upload half of it as part of a set 😡 For example, Delerium - Silence is all over YouTube but if I try uploading a set with it in my video is taken down.

Oh and on the rare occasion I do edit any video I also use the free version of Davinci Resolve on my gaming PC and it does everything I need no problem.

Reactions: Dax

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Being a cheapskate I use Shotcut (free) on my Windows laptop. It is available for mac as well I believe. It seems pretty good, at latest for my fairly basic needs.
On the subject of music licences etc... My son was doing a MTB race which I was filming. Around the start/finish area there was music playing over the PA. When I uploaded to youtube it got rejected as they had picked up the music in the background :mad::p

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Slightly off topic but whenever I try to upload some of DJ sets to YouTube (not monetized) most of the tracks labels claim the rights no problem but there's always a few that flat out refuse and simply don't let the video get put up at all which is a massive pain in the ass because you either have to redo the whole set without those tracks or redact the audio while those tracks are playing which simply isn't an option as that just kills the set. I've tried all the methods of disputing the copywriting and stating that the labels can monetize but that never works either.

The funny thing is all these tracks that I get rejected are all on many other YouTube channels already?!!! I have no idea how they can upload the full uninterrupted extended version of a track yet I can't upload half of it as part of a set 😡 For example, Delerium - Silence is all over YouTube but if I try uploading a set with it in my video is taken down.

Oh and on the rare occasion I do edit any video I also use the free version of Davinci Resolve on my gaming PC and it does everything I need no problem.

How does music on YouTube work these days? I know they dropped a bunch of videos I put up years ago because of music copyright, does the monitization let you use stuff now?

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
How does music on YouTube work these days? I know they dropped a bunch of videos I put up years ago because of music copyright, does the monitization let you use stuff now?
Not in my experience no, my videos are not monetized and I can make all manor of claims of fair use or specifying that the labels can monetize my videos if they want but there are certain labels that just block videos and that's it. Doesn't make any sense because essentially I am creating content they will make money from for free yet they're not interested, who in their right mind turns down free money.

In the past I've had some rejected and actually directly emailed the label and they have actually allowed it but for the most part all my sets got taken down for one or two tracks where the labels just wouldn't budge.

What completely confuses me is how other channels can just post whatever they want. I'm subscribed to several channels that literally all they do is uploaded full 12" versions of popular dance music spanning from the 80's to now and they seem to have no issue with the very same tracks that I cannot upload. I've even pointed this out in appeals to labels but they don't listen, so you'd think maybe it's pretty random if they notice a track and reject it but no, I've tried several sets with the same track in it and they all get rejected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dax

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Never had a problem with Jamendo using their free download/streaming selection.
There is lots of confusion re copyright and " Royalty free". Royalty free does not mean it is not subject to copyright and you can use such music if you buy a licence ....either per track or a monthly/annual fee.
Copyright can apply worldwide or only in certain territories............depends on the rights bought by the copyright holder. In some cases copyright may be owned by the original artist and they tend not to have the means or maybe the willingness to prevent use of their music. More often music copyright is owned by a record label and they have systems to monitor copyright breaches.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles