What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

mccoyman

Dec 26, 2022
Belgium
Have mounted the schwalbe NN soft front and speedgrip in the back. Both in super trail, great tyres, lot of grip and still able to pedal to 30 kmh on the flats.

jacksonlui

Oct 8, 2022
san diego
Not sure how you guys are running such low pressures. I'm on a 2.4 DHR2 DD and dented my alu rim at 25psi. I'm 190lbs. I think 25psi is good on an amish bike but not on a 52lb bike in rocky terrain.

bazxa

Jan 18, 2022
Heathcote NSW Australia
Minion rear at about 24psi, nobby nick front about 19 psi. 100kg rider, terrian sandy, rocks & roots mostly open trails. I am getting some sidewall sealant wetting after a ride which probably means excessive sidewall flex but grip is good.
Minion is about half worn in 250klm which is better than the delivery tyre.

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
I've just blown my second Maxxis DHR II - separated from the bead - tyre pressure 25psi. Looking at either Vittoria Martello or Schwalbe Eddy Current Ebike rear tyre. 27.5 x 2.8.
What are your thoughts?

mcboab

Aug 2, 2022
NE UK
Just fitted a Conti Argotal 2.6x29 enduro soft on the front of my Crafty, moving the previously fitted Krytotal (same size, casing) to the rear to cater for local winter slop conditions. The front @20psi felt a little skittish so dropped to 17 for the next ride and it hung in a lot more. The conti enduro cases are as stiff as Schwalbe DH so seem to like lower pressures (for my trails) to grip in the slop/roots we have in local wood trails. Size wise these are tall tyres and run close to the rear swingarm front strut easily 10mm taller than same size Magic Mary, so I had to alter my home brew rear mudguard (for shock /linkage cover) as it was rubbing on the Krytotal centre knobs
DCFD24CD-48B4-4ADE-A7EA-A751033F5D0F.jpeg
90E6F3FC-6B2B-493C-B605-5652DF87441A.jpeg

Bubbel

May 12, 2021
Germany
HI all,

what do you think?
In the back i have an Eddy Current. I'am really happy with this tyre.
Now the Front - Magic Mary Super Trail or Eddy Current Front Super Trail?

boringol

Dec 22, 2022
High Peak, UK
Mary's are a winner all round and i use them on my normally aspirated MTB On the E I have been using the Maxxis Assagai which give excellent grip and a controlled transition as you tip the bike over onto the side lugs. Only downside has been in lots of mud which has been plentiful recently where it struggled to clear to the hard ground.

Infex

Jan 20, 2020
Tessenderlo, Belgium
My setups usually look like this:

Dry: Maxxis Assegai front + Agressor rear
Medium wet/Loam: Maxxis Assegai front + DHR2 rear
Wet: Maxxis Shorty front + DHR2 rear
Realy wet: Maxxis Wetscream front + Shorty rear

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
Hey guys

Maybe a stupid question but here it goes: do I need to search for E-Type tyres or "regular" MTB tyres are good enough for a E-MTB bike?
Thanks

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I thought that because of the weight of the bike we should get more adequate tyres.
Thanks

I think it’s safe to say that Maxxis is one of the most popular tire brands on the market. They don’t offer e-bike specific tires.
I think that’s more or a marketing gimmick, I mean if you’re a 180lbs riding a 60lb eBike how is that any different than a 210lb rider on a 30lb enduro bike?

rop12770

Nov 10, 2022
Portugal
I think it’s safe to say that Maxxis is one of the most popular tire brands on the market. They don’t offer e-bike specific tires.
I think that’s more or a marketing gimmick, I mean if you’re a 180lbs riding a 60lb eBike how is that any different than a 210lb rider on a 30lb enduro bike?
True that hehhhe

I was looking at these: Maxxis Rekon 29x2.40" WT TR EXO Dual 60 Folding tyre
What do you think?

Aug 18, 2022
Netherlands
29" Maxxis Assegai 2.5WT MaxxGrip up front, 27.5" Schwalbe Hans Dampf 3.8 SpeedGrip in the back

A mix of everything: sometimes a lot of mud, some rocks, other times some hard pack dirt.

Personally I find the Rekons quite slippery in wet conditions and loose over hardpack. Great for general trail riding in the summer, but not for charging the trails.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
assegais in exo + came on my pivot LT stock, i took the front one off initially and left the rear in place. Onthe front i put a bontrager xr2, a micro knobby x country tire. Well after putting an assagai exo back on the front recently i am a believer-smoother, more damped, tracks straighter, way better braking, less vague, and the cornering

SGS

Jan 5, 2021
Sydney
After having 2 DHR-II fail at the bead halfway through their life - both have only been half worn when failure occurred, I have switched to a Vittoria Martello on the rear, still running a DHF up the front.
Will see how the Vittoria holds up.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i noticed the maxxis go on easily , almost too easily. I tried putting a 600 mile assegai on and the beads were so loose i couldnt get the air to catch, so i could see some stretch happening

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
i noticed the maxxis go on easily , almost too easily. I tried putting a 600 mile assegai on and the beads were so loose i couldnt get the air to catch, so i could see some stretch happening
What is a "600 mile assegai"? I use Assagai 3C EXO+ and DD MaxxGrip on DT Swiss EX 511 and RaceFace Arc30 rims without any issues with running them tubeless. Installing the Assagai 3C EXO+ and DD MaxxGrip with Cushcore is also not too difficult. DH tires with Cushcore can be a bit of a challenge tho. What kind of rims where you putting the tire on? If you don't access to a compressor, you may need to use a CO2 inflator to seat the bead on tires that have been taken on and off a number of times. YMMV

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Can't say I've noticed problems with Maxxis. I generally run them all year round, swapping a DHF & Assegai on & off the front for winter here & usually leave a DHR on the back full time. I'd say they're average for installation. I normally put them on with a tube & then remove it so one side is seated. I find that makes life easier than trying to seat both sides at once.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@SGS, that is a manufacturing fault. I had two Continental Trail King tyres fail. Each failed on the same side and the same distance away from the logo. Each failed at about 700 miles of use. Both rear tyres. Bought from different sources (different countries even), so unlikely to be the same batch. With zero issues, I got a full refund on the first one, even though I wasn't expecting one. When I sent in the second claim several months later, I included pictures of the current one plus those from the first claim. This time I was convinced it was a manufacturing defect, previously I had thought it was my tyre pressures.

I could get four fingers through the gap on my tyres.

PS: They were both made with the black chilli compound, so they came from the same factory as Continental only have one factory (Germany) that makes black chilli tyres.

Maxi

Oct 5, 2021
Cumbria
Just changed both Michelin tyres for WTB Vigilante up front @ 25psi and WTB Trail Boss @ 22psi at the back and I must say that the difference is staggering. OK - the Michelins were worn and still had loads of tread, but in the soft / wet / mud of the Lakes over the weekend, I was seriously impressed with the WTBs. And they were a bargain at £25 each from CRC.

Only issue was getting the front running tubeless as the bead just wouldn't seat no matter what I did. Quick trawl through youtube and a very helpful Park Tool video (use the belt method) got it sorted !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles