Levo Gen 3 What tyres have you switched to?

urastus

âš¡The Whippetâš¡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Braking..🤔
What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? 😂
I also have the Assegai on the front and have had a DHR on the rear and replaced it with the DHF when it was worn ..
My own take is that it "rolls" better ...
yes, I think it rolls better too. I run dhf on the rear through the drier months. I've also found that it's a bit stiffer than the equivalent dhrII; I can run a pound less psi and it still feels stiffer than the dhrII. It could be that it's taller and not as wide? It feels better but not as good as the dhrII for clearing mud.

Last edited:

urastus

âš¡The Whippetâš¡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have been using a 2.8 dhrII exo (lightest casing) on the rear. It is a freebie and I was curious about this size. It came with an 8mm cut in the centre - I've patched it inside; I also use tannus in the rear, so not a problem for me.

It is noticeably draggy (I use low assistance), but I'm still liking it. It feels a significant change to the 2.6 in dhrII or dhf. Better on the climbs; I suspect this is aided a bit by the accompanying change in geo. I run it just 1psi less than the 2.6 (18psi) and it feels good at that - that is with the tannus of course.

Last edited:

urastus

âš¡The Whippetâš¡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
the Maxxis Aggressor was the best overall rear tyre
that finding really surprises me. It's a nice looking pattern but just looks like the tread is too shallow. It seems a bit like the minion ss - fast in the centre, reasonable side knobs for cornering. I see they conned it for loose conditions and braking, but not much. I would have thought good for xc or hardpack.

Actually, I think I've changed with ebike. I probably would have run this on my analogue trail bike - I used to run continental mountain kings and thought they were great. Emtb really does seem different when it comes to tyres, for me anyway. Geez, it's worse; I just looked at my old analogue bike service record; I had maxxis crossmark on the rear and a conti mountain king on the front. Wow, that motor and extra weight really have made a difference to my riding and choices.

Last edited:

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
What were your thoughts on the standard tyres Rob.

I'm finding the front a bit of an enigma. One minute it feels great. The next minute it's all over the shop losing traction.
That’s because the side walls are paper thin. Soon as I got rid of those tires the bike was transformed. You could try their grid gravity casing, I’ve heard those are pretty good.

psycho29

Jan 8, 2022
Andorra
Agree with the Assegai on the front..but forget about the Minnion DHR on the rear and instead go for the DHF dd casing instead ..totally transforms the ride in a good way ..despite what you may think F&R don't signify front and rear ..the f= freeride..

(Sorry to refloat this, but maybe interesting for others)

Not sure about yout statement @The Hodge ....

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.13.02.png

From Maxxis website:

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.14.46.png
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.15.23.png

I was checking to see if I could change from Assegai 2.5 front maxxgrip and rear maxxterra to other models/brand and saw your post and checked.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Looking at changing the standard T9 butcher and t7 eliminator for something different.

I don't find the standard tyres that good at all.

Quite like the idea of a Maxxis Assesgai up front and dhr 2 on the back.

What tyres have you all switched too ?
High Rock Ruti

I have Assasgai front and back with dh sidewalls but most importantly HG high grip rubber, it's the HG that is the crucial designation. I'm replacing now and considering dhf or r, with heavy casings and HG of course

Warm Regards Ruti

psycho29

Jan 8, 2022
Andorra
Ended up with Schwalbe Tacky Chan front Super Gravity Ultra Soft and Super Downhill Ultra Soft on the rear, both 2.4.
I'll test them today here in Andorra :)

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Just gone Magic Mary Front and Big Betty rear in 2.6. Ultra soft front and soft rear, Super trail and Super Gravity with Cushcores. Heading up to a rocky Scotland next month so will see how they do. Always ran Assegai and DHR before this.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
assegai dh casing front and dhrII dh casing.

I've also used schwalbe magic marys but I blew the casing apart a couple times, one of them blew up after one day so I switched to Michellin wild enduros when I could get them off chain reaction.

Then I used the michelin ebike dh tires which were cheap and good but those eventually split as well.

Id use the michellin dh 22 dh casing but there too difficult to deal with. I can put the maxxis dh casing tires on with just my hands there great for ease of use and grip/strength

Also tried specialized hillbillys which are pretty similar to a schwalbe magic mary. Cheap as well.

I know some people are pretty into the Continental Kryptotals but those are also a pain to get on the rim. They are probably pretty good too though for riding on.

gibbers

Jun 1, 2023
UK
assegai dh casing front and dhrII dh casing.

I've also used schwalbe magic marys but I blew the casing apart a couple times, one of them blew up after one day so I switched to Michellin wild enduros when I could get them off chain reaction.

Then I used the michelin ebike dh tires which were cheap and good but those eventually split as well.

Id use the michellin dh 22 dh casing but there too difficult to deal with. I can put the maxxis dh casing tires on with just my hands there great for ease of use and grip/strength

Also tried specialized hillbillys which are pretty similar to a schwalbe magic mary. Cheap as well.

I know some people are pretty into the Continental Kryptotals but those are also a pain to get on the rim. They are probably pretty good too though for riding on.
My Contis were a tight fit but managed to get them on with some tyre levers, maybe I'm used to their road tyres which are also very tight!

Yet to try mine out, I am planning a ride this weekend!

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
My Contis were a tight fit but managed to get them on with some tyre levers, maybe I'm used to their road tyres which are also very tight!

Yet to try mine out, I am planning a ride this weekend!
Yeah some of my buddies use the contis and they love them

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
I'm also running the Conti Kryptotal Fr and Re combo (Enduro casing, tubeless) and very happy with them even though they are a littlebit heavier than the original Butcher and Eliminator. I must admit that I am biased and will probably always run Conti, because they are produced in my former home town and I used to work in their factory as a student. ;-)
Front has already seen 2.900 km, rear 1.300 km. No puncture so far, profiles still looking fresh, lots of grip and predictability. My riding profile is a mixture of commuting, fire roads and enduro lines.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles