Levo Gen 3 What tyres have you switched to?

Turbo Mike

Jun 29, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
I am in the desert SW and tore 10+ knobs from my rear stock butcher tyre after 500 miles. Is this to be expected? Running 27 psi in rear. Fairly rocky decomposing granite terrain.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Looking at changing the standard T9 butcher and t7 eliminator for something different.

I don't find the standard tyres that good at all.

Quite like the idea of a Maxxis Assesgai up front and dhr 2 on the back.

What tyres have you all switched too ?

High Rock Ruti

Maxxis Assegai front and rear 2.5; expensive, wears out quickly, and so sticky like a "bully at the beach" they kick sand in your face.

In all seriousness they are the best tire's I've ever ridden, oh yeah they're heavy but at 52 pounds of bike?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Rockstar

Jan 31, 2021
San Diego
Running Maxxis Assegai 2.5 WT grip compound up front and Maxxis DHR2 2.4 maxterra both EXO+. After 400+ miles I’ve lost several knobs in the rear tire and some seepage of sealant coming out of both on the side walls. Love the tires provide lots of traction on my hard pack/ loose over hard trails. Next set will upgrade the casings (double down) but run the same compounds

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I've ordered a 2.6 dhf to try on the front and will look for a dhr2 for the rear.

I had this set up on my Orbea Wild and felt really confident on them.

Will let you know how they feel.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
thats not my experience.
I've been very surprised at the all-round great performance Eddy Currents provide. Trails are mostly dry in my neck of the woods and the times I have ridden in wet conditions, performed quite well. For my $, best tire for my Specialized Levo S-Works and Yeti 160e. On my dh sled (custom YT Decoy Elite) run the Michelin E-Wild's and they are a perfect match!

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I've been very surprised at the all-round great performance Eddy Currents provide. Trails are mostly dry in my neck of the woods and the times I have ridden in wet conditions, performed quite well. For my $, best tire for my Specialized Levo S-Works and Yeti 160e. On my dh sled (custom YT Decoy Elite) run the Michelin E-Wild's and they are a perfect match!
I wouldn’t want to pay your power bill!🤣Nice stable.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Agree with the Assegai on the front..but forget about the Minnion DHR on the rear and instead go for the DHF dd casing instead ..totally transforms the ride in a good way ..despite what you may think F&R don't signify front and rear ..the f= freeride..

rsantos450

Mar 12, 2020
portugal
new tires on expert carbon 2022:
front maxxis assegai 29x2.5 exo+ maxxgrip 1200 grams
rear maxxis dhr-II 27.5x2.4 exo+ maxxterra 1050 grams
tire insert "soulciccia" blue about 120/130 grams for insert
sealant stan's valves nukeproof ard
I'm very happy with this combo
Did you notice the diference in traction ?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Agree with the Assegai on the front..but forget about the Minnion DHR on the rear and instead go for the DHF dd casing instead ..totally transforms the ride in a good way ..despite what you may think F&R don't signify front and rear ..the f= freeride..

High Rock Ruti

I was told this exact thing by Maxxis, put Assegai on (Turbo Levo Pro) with all the all ratings transformed the bike. Come to find out is was just Maxgrip not the Assegai, Maxxis then went on to recommend the DHF with all the fancy ratings (on the rear) because the tread pattern is superior to Assegai in terms of the center lugs (knobbies) As an aside is, the rear 27.5 x 2.5 Assagai failed, sidewall separated from bead, in warranty process (which is laborious) started over a month ago after weeks was then asked to send tire back (despite very clear pictures of failure), still no resolution. With cushcore installed I'm suspicious cushcore insert pushed too hard against the sidewall ripping tire casing from the bead wondering of cushcore is necessary with the three layer sidewall tires, thoughts?

Warm Regards

Ruti

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I can't really give an opinion on that as I've never used Cushcore ..
What I would say ( famous last words) is that I religiously check tyre pressures prior to every ride as I have a tubeless set up and no problems to report to date ..

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Thinking Assegai 29x2.5 DD front and DHR ll 27.5x2.4 DD rear. Mostly southern California riding.

Last edited:

Mounty80

May 29, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
2.5 Assegai Maxx Grip DD front & 2.4 DHR2 Maxx Terra DD rear. Exactly the same on my leg bike.

Only change I make for winter is now the Shorty2 in the same compound on the front.
This is the combo I'm looking at putting on my Rail, but also wondering if going wider with 2.6 Exo+ front/rear might be a better option as I'm 100kg. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm in Auckland, not riding anything too gnarly, rocky etc.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Switched to Magic Mary on the front and Big Betty on the rear as the Michelins E-Wilds suck in the wet.........
Other then riding better in wet conditions, how to you compare the Magic Mary and Big Betty versus the Michelin E-wilds? Been running the Mich's for over 1,000 miles on my YT Decoy and wanna try a different tire when the current set needs replacing.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
DHF loses quite a bit of braking compared to an Assegai or a DHR when used on the back. I'm running an Assegai front and a Butcher T9 on the rear and liking it a lot.
Braking..🤔
What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? 😂
I also have the Assegai on the front and have had a DHR on the rear and replaced it with the DHF when it was worn ..
My own take is that it "rolls" better ...

MISTER HYDE

Oct 9, 2019
ITALY
WTB Vigilante High Grip Front 2.6"
WTB Trail Boss Tough Fast Rolling Post. 2.6"

Better than Maxxis, Schwalbe, Vittoria & Pirelli, I already tried time before.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Braking..🤔
What is this strange phenomenon of which you speak? 😂
I also have the Assegai on the front and have had a DHR on the rear and replaced it with the DHF when it was worn ..
My own take is that it "rolls" better ...
Don’t fool us, or at least yourself. Yes, you brake 😂

Tjmarsh

Aug 7, 2020
Alaska
Built a 27.5 wheel set, put a magic Mary up front and eddy current in the rear. Live in Alaska where terrain is very mixed type. Sometimes it’s a soaking wet mud pit with wet roots and slick clay and sometimes it’s loose rock, boulders and dust. I’ve been extremely impressed with this set. With that being said, I’d never run an eddy current without the help of a motor because it’s a heavy thicccckkk b|tcchh.

Mounty80

May 29, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Just got Assegai 29 x 2.5 Exo + front and DHR II 29 x 2.4 DD rear on my Trek Rail 9. Tried them out on winter clay based trails and the Assegai is incredible. DHR got a little loose sideways off camber and over wet roots but amazing under braking and when climbing. Money well spent replacing the stock tyres. NZ$230 (115 pounds).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My new bike's rear tyre was Maxxis Aggressor 27.5x2.5 TR DD Dual compound. (Weight 1105gm). I struggled with it. It was skidding out on too many corners and was spinning out on steep climbs. Ok I hear you say, those are technique issues. That may be so, and if I couldn't find another tyre then I would have had have to learn.

Fortunately, I happened to have in the garage a WTB Trail Boss 27.5 x 2.6 TR TCS Light (Triple Compound + nylon Slash guard, Light casing) (Weight 1063g). I had taken from my grandson's bike because I thought it was too heavy for him. It was brilliant! No more problems.

Much later I came across Outdoor Gear Lab's survey of 25 MTB tyres (see link below), the Maxxis Aggressor was the best overall rear tyre with an overall score of 79%. But the WTB Trail Boss also scored 79% overall, so although a really good rear tyre where did it lose out to the Maxxis?

If you look at the individual scoring, the WTB only scored 6 on installation, whereas the Maxxis scored 9. Everywhere else the WTB scored the same as the Maxxis (all 8's) except on braking traction where the Maxxis only scored a 7.

Best Mountain Bike Tires

I sold the Maxxis Aggressor to my mate who loved the tyre (probably because his old rear tyre was worn out).

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
Specialized currently has a 2 for 1 sale on selected tires so I simply picked up a couple more of each of the stock tires. I won't be changing for a while! (Both of which are the 'best bang for the buck' options in the above article - esp. at 2 for 1!)

Last edited:

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Magic Mary 27.5 x 2.60 Super Downhill ADDIX Ultra Soft.

I’ve put GOOD tires on small cars that cost less is the only part that hurts in this situation.

I’ve come to hate silly online sellers websites that make it close to impossible to sort though for the correct tire.

I’ve always found I cannot get along with tires with big edge blocks like minions, I lean a lot in corners. I’ve always gotten along best with rounded tires like Nobby Nic and Magic Mary.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Michelin enduro raceline 2.4 front , DHR DD 2.4 rear , combo tested in all weather types Scotland has to offer , works for me 🤟🤟

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
The stock tires with trail casings are very week. Dented the rear rim (26 psi) after Only a few rides. Should have got those off right away. Replaced with Delium Rugged tires in the reinforced casings recommended by “the loam wolf” review. Awesome tires, great in all conditions. Have 550 km’s on them and the rear tire cornering knobs are starting to tear at the base with about 1/4 wear on the knobs overall. Still usable, but probably not much left in it. Front tire looks almost new. Got a new Delium for the rear, but when these are done think I’m going to try Vittoria Mazza front and back. Heard they don’t tear and last at least twice as long. Anyone try these?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles