Levo Gen 3 What tyres have you switched to?

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Looking at changing the standard T9 butcher and t7 eliminator for something different.

I don't find the standard tyres that good at all.

Quite like the idea of a Maxxis Assesgai up front and dhr 2 on the back.

What tyres have you all switched too ?

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Looking at changing the standard T9 butcher and t7 eliminator for something different.

I would say it's more to do with casings and compounds than anything else.

bikeguy11

Subscriber
Oct 9, 2019
Oregon
Assegai front/Dissector rear. Minion dhr is on the back is great too. Totally changed the handling and grip from stock, in a good way.

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany
Magic Mary front and Big Betty rear…

A840D974-CB41-486A-873D-8F2BDE5C729B.jpeg

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Use Eddy Current if you ride dry conditions only. For damp and wet offers very poor performance ...

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
2.5 Assegai Maxx Grip DD front & 2.4 DHR2 Maxx Terra DD rear. Exactly the same on my leg bike.

Only change I make for winter is now the Shorty2 in the same compound on the front.
Getting hold of a shorty in max grip DD has proved impossible for me.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Did you know that Maxxis soft compound tires hardens in cold weather as soon as the temperature is below +5 C.
That’s why I consider the original Spesh Butcher T9 as a front tire that doesn’t harden.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Did you know that Maxxis soft compound tires hardens in cold weather as soon as the temperature is below +5 C.
That’s why I consider the original Spesh Butcher T9 as a front tire that doesn’t harden.
I never knew that. Where did you source that from?

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
new tires on expert carbon 2022:
front maxxis assegai 29x2.5 exo+ maxxgrip 1200 grams
rear maxxis dhr-II 27.5x2.4 exo+ maxxterra 1050 grams
tire insert "soulciccia" blue about 120/130 grams for insert
sealant stan's valves nukeproof ard
I'm very happy with this combo

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

Never experienced hardening Maxxis decent compounds, which is ironic because virtually every complaint about how sh*t Specialized tyres are isdriven by how hard the compounds are, unless you are in the Sarhara Desert 😆

However, they still arnt ‘quite’ as sh*t as an Eddy Current (in any conditions)!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
2.5 Assegai Maxx Grip DD front & 2.4 DHR2 Maxx Terra DD rear. Exactly the same on my leg bike.

Only change I make for winter is now the Shorty2 in the same compound on the front.
Did you find the geo changed much going to the 2.4 on the rear? When I tried it I could no longer climb some steep stuff due to it lowering the rear a bit compared to the 2.6" stock tyre and the front lifting. Although I did have the BB height set to low. Might give it another go soon with the same combo as you and change the BB flip to high.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Did you find the geo changed much going to the 2.4 on the rear? When I tried it I could no longer climb some steep stuff due to it lowering the rear a bit compared to the 2.6" stock tyre and the front lifting. Although I did have the BB height set to low. Might give it another go soon with the same combo as you and change the BB flip to high.
What were your thoughts on the standard tyres Rob.

I'm finding the front a bit of an enigma. One minute it feels great. The next minute it's all over the shop losing traction.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
A bit random but I'm also finding that my shoes are filling up with bits of twigs and mud being flicked up from the standard tyres. Never ever had that before 🤣

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Maxxis Assegai 2.5WT in Double Down casing on the front and rear for spring/summer/autumn

Maxxis Shorty 2.5WT in Double Down casing on the front and rear for winter

Mainly ride the Southdowns, QECP and Surrey Hills so a real mix of Mud/Roots/Chalk/Flints/Sand

The only thing we dont seem to have is large rocks

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I never knew that. Where did you source that from?
The experiences are based on the times of several winter seasons here in the north throughout the enduro racing scene.
Maybe more to the MaxTerrain compound.

Unfortunately, I could not find a link to support this.

Kenevieve

Sep 21, 2021
Perämettä
Maxxis tires 3C marking's true meaning is temperature limit, so they don't work below 3 Celsius temperatures😀😀😀. Everyone who is riding colder temperatures knows it and actually one Maxxis rep said it in the interview that their tires don't work in cold weather ( near freezing on below it). Of course if you live in the area where it never drops below freezing then you don't have to worry it at all.

Schwalbe's MM/BB combo in soft compound is nice set of tires

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK

I didn’t actually ride it with the stock tyres, they literally went in the bin as soon as I got home 😆

I don’t notice any issue with the wandering front end, unless its silly steep & i’m in turbo, which is always an opportunity for disaster...

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
2021 Levo and Magic Mary/ Big Betty. Super Downhill and Ultra Soft. It’s really wet and slippery here in Finland now.
Those are best tyres so far.
I had also Butcher T9 and Eliminator Garvity T7/T9, very good combo on wet also. And other surfaces also.
Last before MM/BB’s was Eddy Currents, not so good on wet. On dry conditions very good combo. Sucks on wet.

Walkea

Aug 18, 2019
Glasgow

I bought Butcher grid and Eliminator on sale for my Focus Jam2. More than happy with them in the dry but on wet roots and rocks I do not have confidence in the Butcher. Just put a Vittoria Mota on front but happy to keep Eliminator on rear. Have a Vittoria Martello ready in case winter riding beats the Eliminator. Then will put the Spesh tyres on for summer

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
For me, The front end was good enough standard, I have fitted dhf now.
The rear was different story, tried most settled on a 2.8 dhr. Found it helped keep the back end inline… I found at speed the back end broke free too easy, going to a 2.4 to turn quicker a suicide move for me, I think the bike turns fast enough, too fast if anything, tge 2.8 seems to settle things down

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles