Levo Gen 2 What on the Gen3 Levo will work on the Gen2

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I know this might be pie in the sky.... or premature.
But if we were to speculate... What parts from the Gen3 Levo will work on the Gen2 ?

Master mind .. YES (This is fantastic)
New Motor cover and Plug connector. ????
Angle Set?
650 Wheel rear wheel (YES )
New Motor 2.2 ? I believe so

When all the parts come available and if you can retrofit the gen2, I think it would be a better bike and you can run both 29 and 27.5 based on the terrain you riding that week.

Any thoughts ?

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
I would like to see compatibility with the new 2.2 motor. I'm on a 3rd motor now and if (when) this one breaks, I would like to get the new one which I hope is now fixed for real. Other than that I'm pretty much satisfied with my levo after I upgraded suspension on it. Also, 29'' front and rear works for me.

Last edited:

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
I would like to see compatibility with the new 2.2 motor. I'm on a 3rd motor now and if (when) this one breaks, I would like to get the new one which I hope is now fixed for real. Other than that I'm pretty much satisfied with my levo after I upgraded suspension on it. Also, 29'' front and rear works for me.

It's the same motor..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It would seem strange to make something incompatible via a software update which obviously works with the present systems.

Wonder if they're just trying to down play it to reduce interest for now as they don't have any stock anyway.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
It would seem strange to make something incompatible via a software update which obviously works with the present systems.

Wonder if they're just trying to down play it to reduce interest for now as they don't have any stock anyway.
I agree - there seems no reason to limit its usage given similar systems ( and same motor even on levo ). Doesnt inspire brand loyalty. Hopefully it’s an erroneous quote.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I know this might be pie in the sky.... or premature.
But if we were to speculate... What parts from the Gen3 Levo will work on the Gen2 ?

Master mind .. YES (This is fantastic)
New Motor cover and Plug connector. ????
Angle Set?
650 Wheel rear wheel (YES )
New Motor 2.2 ? I believe so

When all the parts come available and if you can retrofit the gen2, I think it would be a better bike and you can run both 29 and 27.5 based on the terrain you riding that week.

Any thoughts ?

2.2 Motor - yes with firmware 7.4.1 and newer. Older firmware versions are highly likely to error out during a ride.

Mastermind TCU - yes until forthcoming software update which will remove support for 2.1 motors, so you’ll need to swap the motors at that point.

Motor cover and battery plug - unlikely due to different frame design. You may be able to cut the plastic but it wont be a lift and swap.

27.5 rear wheel - yup people do it today, although I’ve not seen anyone switch the rear triangle for the Gen3 so not sure if that will fit.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
2.2 Motor - yes with firmware 7.4.1 and newer. Older firmware versions are highly likely to error out during a ride.

Mastermind TCU - yes until forthcoming software update which will remove support for 2.1 motors, so you’ll need to swap the motors at that point.

Motor cover and battery plug - unlikely due to different frame design. You may be able to cut the plastic but it wont be a lift and swap.

27.5 rear wheel - yup people do it today, although I’ve not seen anyone switch the rear triangle for the Gen3 so not sure if that will fit.

What about the SL wrt mastermind?

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Thanks — good to know about %age. Was specifically asking about TCU upgrade invalidating levo and whetber same applies to SL.

It's unlikely for the time being until the new SL is released, and then after that point Specialized will want to run a few production bikes 'in the wild' before they lock out older generations (in case they need to retrofit motors in the event of an issue).

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Ok. This morning I figured out how to get my levo battery percentage in my garmin forerunner 935. So now don’t need the tcu anymore. (Would be nice though)
Just the new motor.... well updated one when mine blows.... and it’s going to blow at some point.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Wanting to try mullet configuration so wouldn't it be nice if possible to fit the 2022 rear triangle, shock link, and X2 shock on my 2020 Levo, to get the initial rearward axle path for better rollover like the 29 inch wheels, and a second flip chip in the rear triangle to better prevent increased pedal strikes since frame not designed for mullet config. Keeping fingers crossed specialized will offer this separately.

Steveg56

Nov 7, 2019
California
I just got my Bullit XT kit and was considering waiting on the new Gen 3 Levo myself. My wife has a 2020 Levo Comp and so I do have some comparisons. Off the bat the EP8 is very quiet going up and mine is very quiet going down (no noticeable knocking noise) so I’m very happy there as I’ve heard the rumblings from the net. Love the 170/170 front and back as it’s a very plush ride and very stable...I’m much faster going down now without even trying to be. Love how the EP8 is small motor and now very quiet opposed to the Levo having a large very Ebike looking motor. Levo’s are tanks comparatively at least in the Comp trim line. The Gen 3 Levo is step in the right direction Geo wise and I’m sure will be a fantastic bike, but the Santa Cruz is sex appeal and super light. You’ve had the Levo’s ....it’s time for something new and exciting and the Bullit will compliment your Gen 2 Levo very well. Just my 2c.
75E548C3-F0AB-474E-BCAF-6145499EB8C0.jpeg

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I just got my Bullit XT kit and was considering waiting on the new Gen 3 Levo myself. My wife has a 2020 Levo Comp and so I do have some comparisons. Off the bat the EP8 is very quiet going up and mine is very quiet going down (no noticeable knocking noise) so I’m very happy there as I’ve heard the rumblings from the net. Love the 170/170 front and back as it’s a very plush ride and very stable...I’m much faster going down now without even trying to be. Love how the EP8 is small motor and now very quiet opposed to the Levo having a large very Ebike looking motor. Levo’s are tanks comparatively at least in the Comp trim line. The Gen 3 Levo is step in the right direction Geo wise and I’m sure will be a fantastic bike, but the Santa Cruz is sex appeal and super light. You’ve had the Levo’s ....it’s time for something new and exciting and the Bullit will compliment your Gen 2 Levo very well. Just my 2c. View attachment 58158

lovely looking bike, congrats

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles