What makes a tyre Tubeless Ready?

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Is there an extra layer/coating applied to the inner surface of a tyre to make it airtight? Is it something that can be added retrospectively?

I have a pair of tyres on my hard tail that aren’t marked as tubeless ready but the rims are.

It would be a shame to discard them.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The first tubeless bike tyres that I knew about were part of a Mavic wheelset. The tyres were designed to hold air without the need for sealant (an extra layer of rubber I believe, not sure). But I always used sealant on them because, despite being air tight, they were not puncture proof. Once I got into tubeless, I realised that I did not have to buy Mavic's UST tyres, or even Maxxis's LUST tyres, any tyre would do as long as I used a latex sealant. I tried non-latex sealants but they didn't seal the sidewalls as well as the latex stuff did (they had other benefits though, such as not going off).

The only tyre that I failed to set up tubeless was a super light Maxxis Larsen TT XC 26x1.9 It was for my grandson's bike when he was nine. At 545gm, it was so light the walls felt like thick paper. After several attempts I gave up and used a tube. I could have saved weight and bought a heavier tyre to start with.

Ref your tyres, I would give it a go with confidence. Use soapy liquid to wet the rims and tyre beads to help the beads pop into place when you add the air. Pump up to max allowable pressure, to force the sealant into any pores. Give the wheel a good shake to distribute the sealant all over the inside of the tyre. If the sidewalls are particularly porous you might have to lay the wheel on its side (I use a bucket to sit it on to get the rim level). Leave for 30 mins, shake and lay other side up. I monitor the tyre pressure to see if the sealant is doing its stuff. It does not have to be perfect, just good enough to last a ride.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The only downside to using tyres with thinner non TR ready sidewalls is that you may get 'bleed through' where the sealant finds all the pores in the rubber and either it makes the tyre appear to be sweating or it will show all the seams and patterns in the tyre side wall from its construction.

Screenshot 2021-08-10 142830.jpg
Screenshot 2021-08-10 143036.jpg

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
Ah ok so this was part of my question. Is there anything suitable to paint on the inside of the tyre to seal it?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No.

as in pour it inside the tyre when setting it up and stop worrying. ;)

You'll probably find a latex based sealant such as stans or orange seal better with pourous non tubeless tyres. and add more sealant than recommended. I tend to run 120ml for 27.5 tyres up to 2.5" width - add a little more than that if you're running larger volume.
IME orange seal tends to coat the entire tyre casing as it swills around inside

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As in brush it on the inside of the tyre and let it dry?

No need, too much faff. Just add the sealant and refer to my previous post. You might get some seepage through the sidewalls (see @Jackware 's post), but it will stop as the sealant seals the holes (that is what its for)! Have patience.

Once the sidewalls have sealed, you will never have to do it again.

By the way, you will have to top up the sealant every 3-6 months (depending upon a variety of factors). But all you will have to do is to literally add some more sealant and then go ride! That's it, no faffing about. :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
How do you know if and when the sealant needs topping up?

my car has on oil dipstick but what method would I use to indicate sealant level in a bike?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Personally, it's when I can't hear it sloshing around inside the tyre. Some people break the bead on one side to have a look.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How do you know if and when the sealant needs topping up?

my car has on oil dipstick but what method would I use to indicate sealant level in a bike?
I check my tyre pressures before every ride. Consequently I can tell when the sealant is running out because the air starts leaking from all the holes in the tyre from the scores of punctures I have (must have considering where I ride). Once I see the pressure loss from one ride to the next starting to increase, I add some more sealant.

Of course, if you are not in the habit of getting lots of punctures (how would you know?), then this method will run you dry before you know it.

An alternative of course is to just top up every six months.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles