• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

What is volspeed V4?

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Interesting how they have now added the ability to mess about with the profiles a bit. And a max limit of 28mph is still more than enough for me. Hmmm

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Hi George, no I havent yet, still very inteterested though. Its only the possible issue with a 504 that bothers me, nothing else. I didnt know anything had been changed re the anti tuning detection though.

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Hi George, no I havent yet, still very inteterested though. Its only the possible issue with a 504 that bothers me, nothing else. I didnt know anything had been changed re the anti tuning detection though.

Now that the max speed has been capped at 45kmh it's extremely unlikely that you'll get a 504 error now. Most of the time these errors happen when people use their bikes for commuting and consistently ride over the limit.

Jmc123

Nov 4, 2020
Hemel Hempstead

If you use the 10% off code on the website it reduces the price further 👍

DubbyMcDubs

Nov 14, 2021
Sydney

If you use the 10% off code on the website it reduces the price further 👍

I am unaware of the 10% off voucher

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I have around 250 miles on Volspeed V4. No 504s and it is mostly working as intended.

However, I am not getting the advertised speed out of it. I am in US and I set it 27.9 mph as top speed, but the motor is still cutting out around 25. It is an def improvement over stock where it cut out at around 19 but I still want that last couple mph.

Any insights into this from anyone?

LenM

Sep 9, 2021
White Rock BC
Just ordered the V4, I live in BC Canada so it looks like about a 2 week journey. Will be putting it on my 2021 Powerfly4. Just had a new motor installed when it failed after only having it 5 months. It started skipping, similar to a worn our socket or chain, shop even replaced 2 (smaller) cogs, charged me $45 and it still skipped. Turns out it was the motor, just picked it up and rode it home for 15KM worked great. Very excited to up the speed!! BTW, I didn't have a detuning device on it.

Jack___

Mar 31, 2022
Spain
Hi, can anyone else share their experiences with V4? Anyone experiencing and dreaded errors yet?

Cheers

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Hi there,

George from Ebiketuner here, did you decide to go ahead with the V4? TLDR they've improved the anti tuning detection and also made the it plug & ride.
Hi George,

Just as an update, I got my V4 from yourselves the other day via the Bay. All fitted up fine, was really worried that the available space was going to be a problem though, and at first was thinking 'hmm this motors gonna have to come out' with a view to poking the module up into the seat tube or summat (this is on a 2020 Haibike AllMtn3 btw).

The setup on my bike has a small black plastic cover screwed to the underside of the motor, then another much bigger piece of plastic (bashguard if you like) goes over that. The small cover sits pretty snug to the motor but with some careful jiggery pokery, head scratching and various attempts at layout I was able to get all the wiring, connectors and module inside (just!). Also a close call was removing the required screws that hold on both the plastic pieces - some of the bolts come VERY close to the chainring and again I first thought that I would have to pull the crank and then remove the ring but again I got lucky and was just about able to get the bolts out although I did need to reach for my ball headed allen keys, no way a regular key would have got in there.

All works as expected, really like the fact that everything still reads in MPH (including the V4 speed setting and range remaining). Battery percent is an awesome touch (I have a Purion) and is actually one of the big reasons I went for it.

My only gripe (which I have seen mentioned by others too) is that the V4 is set using the - button, long press 3 secs. I don't think this is ideal as the same button also controls the on screen display modes (long press 2 secs I think) so it's a bit of a pain not triggering the V4 on/off/speed setting when switching display modes. It can be done obvs, but you gotta be real quick letting off the button before the V4 triggers.

I would have thought it would make a lot more sense to control the V4 with the + button or maybe even the walk button. Perhaps theres software reasons why this isn't possible.

Anyway, I've made a note of my mileage, we'll see how it goes. Anything further I'll post it up here. Cheers.

the_ace

Oct 12, 2022
West Lothian
I have Volspeed v4 on my 2022 Trek Rail 7 and just got a 503 error which won't clear and has baffled the mechanic. I have removed the volspeed v4 and had it reset but still no joy just constant 503 error. I'm awaiting a replacement speed sensor to test and hoping thats going to sort it!

jezza

Feb 12, 2023
Somerset
Is the volspeed v4 detectable on the purion version of the Bosch gen4
My bike is new so has a warranty ...so can it be detected by the shop/manufacturer if things go tits up.
I only want to get to about 20mph as I seem to hit the limits of 15mph very early 🤷

Feb 2, 2020
Dorset
Is the volspeed v4 detectable on the purion version of the Bosch gen4
My bike is new so has a warranty ...so can it be detected by the shop/manufacturer if things go tits up.
I only want to get to about 20mph as I seem to hit the limits of 15mph very early 🤷
Hi @jezza

No it's not detectable. A 20mph limit reduces the chance of getting an error to virtually zero. VOLspeed set the max speed to 28mph so you'd be well under this limit.

Hope this helps

Stu12a

Nov 6, 2020
Australia
Hi @jezza

No it's not detectable. A 20mph limit reduces the chance of getting an error to virtually zero. VOLspeed set the max speed to 28mph so you'd be well under this limit.

Hope this helps
I beg to differ. I installed a V4 on my Focus jam² 2020 bosch cx4 unit. After about 300km of riding with a Max speed set to 35kph, it decided to not turn on one day after being charged.
The motor was taken to my LBS and immediately, Bosch said they could see it had been tuned. Provided a run down of how they could tell it was tuned and voided my warranty.
Suffice to say, the authorised dealer who sold me the V4 wasn't interested in helping me at all.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That's why most people don't use them until the warranty period has passed.
I doubt the V4 had anything to do with why your motor failed.
might not even be the motor, could just be the connections from the ecu/battery got moisture in them and need cleaning or the ECU thing on your bars died.
I know the LED one even has it's own battery because you can try to turn it on without the battery installed and the LEDS still flash

Stu12a

Nov 6, 2020
Australia
All connections were checked as recommended by bosch before the motor was pulled and sent. They were able to tell by the power draw of the motor that it had been modified. It was clear as day to them.
This myth that they are undetectable is misleading and a false claim.

Stu12a

Nov 6, 2020
Australia
Out of curiosity. After rides, did you let the bike power itself off or did you power off ?
Yep, always let it power down itself. But from memory, that wasn't a requirement or an instruction on the V4.
There wasn't any issue with error codes coming up. The bike simply didn't turn on one day and Bosch were quick to say its been tuned the moment they got the motor on their bench

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Did they repair the motor for you, at a cost, or did you have to buy a new one?
I was thinking of fitting a Volspeed 4 to my Rail but you've made me think twice now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles