What Have You Lost & found 🤔

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I was thinking about what I may have lost while riding 🤔
What have you lost whilst out n about.
On the same token, what have you found?
I found a wallet just the other week on a trail with £85.00, bank card & two driving licences, which I returned to the address on one of the licences & received a case of beer for my trouble 🍺🍺😋

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Sometimes I find rocks.
Sometimes I take the rocks.
Sometimes I let the rocks be.
The rocks are found in the Santa Ana Mountains.

I don't really know the full story behind the rocks. I suspect they're created by rider(s), because their locations are really far from where a hiker would have to park their car. I suspect they're done by a lady rider, or maybe several lady riders, because generally the artwork has a feminine flair. It also seems like chick thing to do. Or maybe I'm just a sexist pig. That's probably more like it.

If I take a rock, it will come home with me. Eventually I'll place the rock along another trail. Sometimes I'll leave the rock hundreds of miles from where I found it.

The rock in this picture is a little different. The artwork is cruder and the theme is not really consistent with the other rocks I've run across. In my mind, a chick was painting up some rocks one evening, and told her man that he needed to help her. And this is what he did. Or maybe the rock was just made by a chick who likes to smoke and drink--my kind of girl. Anyhow, this rock has been deposited elsewhere.

IMG_8284.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I rode over what turned out to be an Apple phone in a leather wallet. I rang "wife" and got a right bollocking on the lines of "what time do you call this, I suppose you're with her......." Which was a bit of a surprise. When I managed to get a word in, I told her that her man had lost his phone and had probably spent time looking for it and couldn't call her to tell her he'd be late etc. I told her that I would leave the phone at the trail centre bike shop. I never heard back. :)

I used to use a Cateye bike computer. The display unit fell off, no idea where and no point looking as it was black and quite small. The next time at that trail, I stopped in one of my usual places and there it was laid on the floor right under my bike. What it is to be a creature of habit! :LOL:

I have found some good friends on the trail, some I no longer ride with, but they are not "lost". :love:

JWD

Subscriber
Nov 15, 2022
Aberdeenshire
Lost - my wedding ring! It came off with my gloves when I stopped for a break...:oops:

Found - my wedding ring! I knew where it was likely to be so a few days later I contacted some friends who I knew were on a night-ride which I couldn't go along to, "it'll probably be under the tree, you, the tree we always stop at?". The wedding ring was posted through the letterbox the next day...:D
I never told my wife until it was returned!

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Lost - my wedding ring! It came off with my gloves when I stopped for a break...:oops:

Found - my wedding ring! I knew where it was likely to be so a few days later I contacted some friends who I knew were on a night-ride which I couldn't go along to, "it'll probably be under the tree, you, the tree we always stop at?". The wedding ring was posted through the letterbox the next day...:D
I never told my wife until it was returned!
I think I'd be more devastated than my Fiancée if I lost my engagement ring 😢😢😢😢

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Sometimes I find rocks.
Sometimes I take the rocks.
Sometimes I let the rocks be.
The rocks are found in the Santa Ana Mountains.

I don't really know the full story behind the rocks. I suspect they're created by rider(s), because their locations are really far from where a hiker would have to park their car. I suspect they're done by a lady rider, or maybe several lady riders, because generally the artwork has a feminine flair. It also seems like chick thing to do. Or maybe I'm just a sexist pig. That's probably more like it.

If I take a rock, it will come home with me. Eventually I'll place the rock along another trail. Sometimes I'll leave the rock hundreds of miles from where I found it.

The rock in this picture is a little different. The artwork is cruder and the theme is not really consistent with the other rocks I've run across. In my mind, a chick was painting up some rocks one evening, and told her man that he needed to help her. And this is what he did. Or maybe the rock was just made by a chick who likes to smoke and drink--my kind of girl. Anyhow, this rock has been deposited elsewhere.

View attachment 101691
Must be quite cool to find those rocks 😎

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Found usual stuff
Mobile
Bike light
Bash guard
McDonald’s wrappers
Once found a frt wheel in a trail car park (Facebook returned that to its owner)
But the best thing I’ve found was a whole emtb,owner had snapped there chain and decided to just walk out of there. Met her about 1 mile up the trail.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Found a Garmin Edge 830, retail $400. It was sitting on a post at a lightly used trail entrance and I left it there. Two days later it was still there so I took it and made attempts to find the owner. There was no info in the unit, which could have been entered, I called Garmin, they couldnt help, and contacted the Park Ranger to see if anyone had reported a missing unit.

I tried, I dont feel guilty anymore.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Found a Garmin Edge 830, retail $400. It was sitting on a post at a lightly used trail entrance and I left it there. Two days later it was still there so I took it and made attempts to find the owner. There was no info in the unit, which could have been entered, I called Garmin, they couldnt help, and contacted the Park Ranger to see if anyone had reported a missing unit.

I tried, I dont feel guilty anymore.
You did all you could. People shouldn't be so careless with their possessions 😉

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I lost an Endura jacket in June at Cannock Chase....,..it was strapped onto my back pack but obviously not very well.

Great jacket, should be at that price....it was a forest green colour and I am currently without a jacket!

I went back to look for it but got lost and missed the same trail...

Reward available!

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Lost a water bottle, haven't found anything of note outside of interesting natural items. Our trails have low traffic, and I do a lot of cross country off-trail riding.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I loaded my bike into the car and set off home. On arrival I realised that I had left my front wheel behind (top of the range Mavic). I shot back to the trail centre a damn sight faster than I drove home. No wheel where I had left it. I called in at the centre bike shop and asked if anyone had handed a wheel in. "Might have done" was the reply. I knew instantly that the answer was yes and almost did cartwheels in the shop. It took another couple of minutes to convince the guy that the wheel was mine. (I'm sure he was just messing with me, err, I think). About 11 years ago.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I lost my g/f's bike off the bike rack. The rack was similar to this one. The working theory is that the bike had a slot leak and the tire went flat and when I went over a bump, the bike popped out of the wheel holder 🤔. We drove back to look for it but not only was it over 20 plus 2kms, it was getting dark. I never heard it fall off the back of the rack but I never heard the end of of it from my g/f. I replace her bike and shortly after, her. I now have a MUCH better rack and am happily married to a lovely woman (who just came in the room and made sure I wrote the last part)!
I have also found countless gloves, glasses, jackets and goggles on the trail.

bike rack.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
In 2011 still very much a beginner at mtb, I accompanied a mate of mine on a route in the Peak District. The objective was to descend Cavedale. It was named that because the trail used to be (I assume) into a cave, but the cave roof had collapsed leaving a rough and steep descent. We stopped at the top and looked over the wall at the walkers scrambling up on all fours and also avoiding the stream running towards them. We removed our backpacks and had some lunch and went back to looking over the wall. At this point people with cameras and video cameras started forming a crowd. One guy said "You're not going down there? You'll kill yourself!" My mate promptly said "It's why we are here!" :eek::ROFLMAO:

Anyway, we both survived without killing ourselves. But I realised that I had left my backpack at the top of the decent! As well as the usual stuff, it had my phone, wallet and car keys in there. As I wearily started to remove surplus gear for the hike back up, my mate who was more than 20 years younger than me said "Don't bother Steve, I'll go!" I nearly kissed him!

He set off and ran up the hill until he was out of sight round the bend in the trail (he later told me that he immediately walked from that point.:D) He was gone ages while I had nothing to do except to wonder how on Earth I was going to resolve the situation if the backpack had gone missing. Eventually he hove into view; but he wasn't carrying my backpack!!!! He got closer and closer but I still couldn't see my backpack. Oh noooooo, it's gone!

The bastard was wearing it.

Despite the nail-biting suspense, I was very grateful to him and treated him to a cream tea in the nearest Cafe in Castleton.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I lost my g/f's bike off the bike rack. The rack was similar to this one. The working theory is that the bike had a slot leak and the tire went flat and when I went over a bump, the bike popped out of the wheel holder 🤔. We drove back to look for it but not only was it over 20 plus 2kms, it was getting dark. I never heard it fall off the back of the rack but I never heard the end of of it from my g/f. I replace her bike and shortly after, her. I now have a MUCH better rack and am happily married to a lovely woman (who just came in the room and made sure I wrote the last part)!
I have also found countless gloves, glasses, jackets and goggles on the trail.

View attachment 102212
Did you find my jacket at Cannock Chase?? :))

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
This whistle on the south downs way. I emailed the rangers office but they didn't reply so it's sat in a drawer for a couple of years. Shame really, it looks hand made, I expect someone misses it. Maybe I should use it to scatter the clockwork riders as I blast by.

ZqELg3_y.jpg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I lost a pair of 5-10 free rider pros. Sat them on my rear bumper and forgot to put them in the truck, they were gone by the time I got home.

I found a brand new Yeti SB150 frame that I had bought and forgot about. I was living overseas and bought the frame/fork back in 2019, it was sent to my dad in the US and he put it in my storage unit. I was back in the US for the first time since 2015 last summer, was going through the storage unit and found it.

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
on a Sunday morning ride i was really enjoying the early start, in my happy place , heading into town via our coastal cycle path .
and i found a crisp new $100 bill , that just makes a good morning excellent

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, I've lost a pair of Oakleys in t,peak district, but during lockdown whilst walking my dog at chicksands, I found a set of panniers sitting in the middle of a trail, so I put them over my shoulder and thought I'd take them to the entrance of the bikepark, then i saw a chap on a bike with a rack and no panniers, I shouted "over here mate", he came I gave him them, he then opened them to make sure it was all there, on the top was his wallet, and it was rammed, absolutely rammed with red and purple notes. He said thanks and off he went. Then found a very nice horse riding crop, and then a bag of white powder! Horsey neighbour got the crop, toilet got the gear. I found a gold wedding ring at chicksands 3 weeks ago, posted on a local sight, and it was returned to the rightful owner a few days later. Which was nice.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was driving through the town centre, came to a set of traffic lights and waited. The lights went green and the car in front drove off. I saw what looked like a £10 note on the road, so I got out of the car and went to pick it up. A few car horns sounded, but as I was walking back to the car, I held the note up in both hands and gave a big grin. The car horns stopped and I got a big laugh from the car behind me. :ROFLMAO:

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I was driving through the town centre, came to a set of traffic lights and waited. The lights went green and the car in front drove off. I saw what looked like a £10 note on the road, so I got out of the car and went to pick it up. A few car horns sounded, but as I was walking back to the car, I held the note up in both hands and gave a big grin. The car horns stopped and I got a big laugh from the car behind me. :ROFLMAO:
Steamin 🤙

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Hello, I've lost a pair of Oakleys in t,peak district, but during lockdown whilst walking my dog at chicksands, I found a set of panniers sitting in the middle of a trail, so I put them over my shoulder and thought I'd take them to the entrance of the bikepark, then i saw a chap on a bike with a rack and no panniers, I shouted "over here mate", he came I gave him them, he then opened them to make sure it was all there, on the top was his wallet, and it was rammed, absolutely rammed with red and purple notes. He said thanks and off he went. Then found a very nice horse riding crop, and then a bag of white powder! Horsey neighbour got the crop, toilet got the gear. I found a gold wedding ring at chicksands 3 weeks ago, posted on a local sight, and it was returned to the rightful owner a few days later. Which was nice.
This is the plot of No country for old men!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles