What feature are you hoping to seeing future generations of EMTBs?

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Apart from the obvious (lighter, stronger/smaller motor, increased range, etc). What do you hope to see from new ebikes in the future.

One thing I am expecting before too long is an electronic shift. Not like the Shimano Di2 but more like the Bosch system where one turn of the crank is 2.5 turns of the front sprocket, but with an electronically variable ratio. Could really be a game changer.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
New, higher energy density batteries would be a true game changer, but I don't think it is likely anytime soon. Even adding 30% to the range of the current ones for no addition in weight would make a big difference and probably meet 90% of our needs; doubling the energy density would be truly transformative, with much lighter bikes you could ride for 6-8hrs straight if required. We'd better cross our fingers and hope Mr Musk can make this happen before he makes a faux pas that puts him in prison...! ;)

Beyond that, not so much... More affordable, long lasting drivetrains (no more than 10 spd please) would be nice, or maybe kill the derailleur altogether and move to a Pinion style gearbox unified with the motor? Gearboxes have some challenges for analogue MTBs (most notably weight and changing under load), but the approach makes a lot of sense for ebikes.

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Today I could have done with a boost switch for starting on steep climbs, just something to get moving from a standing start :)

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
New, higher energy density batteries would be a true game changer, but I don't think it is likely anytime soon. Even adding 30% to the range of the current ones for no addition in weight would make a big difference and probably meet 90% of our needs; doubling the energy density would be truly transformative, with much lighter bikes you could ride for 6-8hrs straight if required. We'd better cross our fingers and hope Mr Musk can make this happen before he makes a faux pas that puts him in prison...! ;)

Beyond that, not so much... More affordable, long lasting drivetrains (no more than 10 spd please) would be nice, or maybe kill the derailleur altogether and move to a Pinion style gearbox unified with the motor? Gearboxes have some challenges for analogue MTBs (most notably weight and changing under load), but the approach makes a lot of sense for ebikes.

Yes, this is what I was talking about in the original comment. A motor and ‘gearbox’ all in one. With no derailleur, just a rear sprocket attatched to a front, driving sprocket that spins at different speeds in relation to the cranks, according to the ‘gear’ it is in.

Could be set to a desired resistance or speed and automatically find the most efficient setting. Basically like an auto transmission on a car.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Yes, this is what I was talking about in the original comment. A motor and ‘gearbox’ all in one. With no derailleur, just a rear sprocket attatched to a front, driving sprocket that spins at different speeds in relation to the cranks, according to the ‘gear’ it is in.

Could be set to a desired resistance or speed and automatically find the most efficient setting. Basically like an auto transmission on a car.

I like that ...anything to get rid of the derailleur will suit me . This. Is my emtb mission.and would be the only ting to make me buy another bike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Waterproof electrics, and I mean river crossing waterproof!

Not that I have suffered from water problems, I've only had the emtb a few days, but there is a river crossing on my menu of trails and I'm wondering how it will survive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles