What do you reckon Sram AXS Setup

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Right just putting all the bits together for my Sram GX AXS Setup and thought I would run by you all for your opinion.

Setup

Sram GX AXS Upgrade Kit - Ordered awaiting delivery
Sram 36T Eagle E-MTB X-SYNC2 Chainring - New Recently fitted
Sram Cassette 12 Speed NX - Reckon this is the best option as I don't believe I will get range as on a regular bike so focus on cost
Sram 12 Speed Chain NX or GX - Again just looking at the cost effective option as plan to change chains regularly to early to know exactly when

I look forward to your opinions

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I have the GX AXS , I broke one after a big off I'll use it as spares , fitted a new one paired it set the b-gap upper/ lower adjustment and haven't touched it since , nice clean shifting , I also have a 1295 cassette and xo1 chain , chain and cassette probably done 500 miles so far , all in all no complaints 🤟🤟

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
After a year of using the AXS GX I only regularly charged the battery after it was initially setup. No micro-adjustment needed, even after I installed a new chainring, chain and cassette. A few weeks ago I paired the AXS GX with the E-thirteen chainring 34t, XT Shimano 12speed cassette, HG Shimano chain. (Some say this is a hack…but it works).
A few complaints though; too quiet, too smooth and too reliable. Other then that …👍🏻

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I have the GX AXS , I broke one after a big off I'll use it as spares , fitted a new one paired it set the b-gap upper/ lower adjustment and haven't touched it since , nice clean shifting , I also have a 1295 cassette and xo1 chain , chain and cassette probably done 500 miles so far , all in all no complaints 🤟🤟
Thanks mate what is the condition of chain and cassette and why did you go for that combination?

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
After a year of using the AXS GX I only regularly charged the battery after it was initially setup. No micro-adjustment needed, even after I installed a new chainring, chain and cassette. A few weeks ago I paired the AXS GX with the E-thirteen chainring 34t, XT Shimano 12speed cassette, HG Shimano chain. (Some say this is a hack…but it works).
A few complaints though; too quiet, too smooth and too reliable. Other then that …👍🏻
Awesome any reason why you went for that hack?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Awesome any reason why you went for that hack?
Yes, back then I had a new Shimano cassette and chain. I found the hack on YouTube and decided to give it a try. I kinda think this setup has extended the life of the cassette and chain …but I’m not counting. I only changed the lower jockey wheel (guide wheel) from the Sram 14t to a Shimano 13t. The fit was perfect but I really didn’t analyze if that made any difference. But it works great. I didn’t have a B screw gage so I made some adjustment myself. I’ve recently upgraded to the Shimano XT cassette, HG 8100 12speed chain, and the 34t E thirteenth chainring.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have read on few forums best setup is XTR cassette & chain with XX1 AXS shifter & derailleur. But when your spending that sort of money your going to say it works great 😂 this was on analog bikes too,
I am old fashioned with XX1 cable derailleur & XTR shifter with Ali express XD cassette & KMC X12 chain 😂

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Cassette and chain were already on the bike 🤟

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I also got tricked into the Sram wireless eco system and waited 7 months for the AXS Reverb Dropper. Installed yesterday. 😎
B3E10BAB-9BA6-4E9C-9553-2E614EC71E60.jpeg

Went from the 150mm Bontrager to the 170mm AXS reverb. I’m so gullible. 😉

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Update; It took longer to sync the app an d/l the firmware after installing the Reverb dropper. Faster activation than the Wolftooth cable controller and improved rise/drop over the Bontrager dropper. Cleaned up the cockpit too. Expensive luxury though. 🥴
31C511B7-D75E-4C04-B539-BD3D6A121F41.jpeg

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Right just putting all the bits together for my Sram GX AXS Setup and thought I would run by you all for your opinion.

Setup

Sram GX AXS Upgrade Kit - Ordered awaiting delivery
Sram 36T Eagle E-MTB X-SYNC2 Chainring - New Recently fitted
Sram Cassette 12 Speed NX - Reckon this is the best option as I don't believe I will get range as on a regular bike so focus on cost
Sram 12 Speed Chain NX or GX - Again just looking at the cost effective option as plan to change chains regularly to early to know exactly when

I look forward to your opinions
I’ve had the AXS for about a year and it’s great.
Low to no maintenance but keep an eye on the battery. (On the app)..
I did run out on a ride and had to do the rest of the day with a fixed gear.
I now carry a spare battery, and controller one as well, but the new one I got lasts for ages so i think the one that it came with was faulty.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I’ve had the AXS for about a year and it’s great.
Low to no maintenance but keep an eye on the battery. (On the app)..
I did run out on a ride and had to do the rest of the day with a fixed gear.
I now carry a spare battery, and controller one as well, but the new one I got lasts for ages so i think the one that it came with was faulty.
HI what Cassette and chain are you using?

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
High Rock Ruti

AXS dropper is the best dropper I've ever used (hard stop, period)

Warm Regards Ruti
I love the way they work but I am not a fan of droppers although I have one but hardly use them, so at the moment this is one part of AXS eco system I will not be using but I have never read a bad report so you never know.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
HI what Cassette and chain are you using?
SRAM XG 1275 which has the XD hub. GX chains and started changing them when it gets to 0 .5 wear. I have replaced them all together in the past (cassette, chain, chainring) but this seems a lot better and the cassette is wearing a lot longer.
I've also "dipped" the newest one in the paffifin wax / teflon coating that is recommended by an Australian guy on YouTube. That helps with lubing (or not) as well.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I've has a GX AXS on one of my bikes for about a year, but it hasn't done massive mileage, I reckon I've charged it around five times in all.

Up to now I've been mostly happy with it. The ergonomics of the supplied paddle were terrible and I have no idea why they don't just supply the updated paddle as standard now, besides they'll get another £25 off every customer for a bit of plastic, a screw and a spring. The other niggles I have are that it needs to have stiffer springs in the shift paddle so it's less easy to do an accidental shift, and they need to put some 'debounce' time between allowed shifts so that you don't accidentally shift multiple times on rough terrain due to thumb bounce when you only want one shift.

Anyway, I've recently found that it's suffered considerable wear on the outer pivots of the (not) parallelogram.

I'd recently changed to a 10-52 XG1299 cassette, not by choice, more driven by parts availability than anything.

Anyway, the derailleur now won't hold in first gear, it's visibly off to the right when in first gear. The limit screws, chain length and the B-screw are set, and I've been trying tweaking it either way from 'correct' to try and find a sweet spot. Obviously I've also been adjusting the micro adjust as well, to try and get it just right. I did all this before noticing the pivot wear which I now think is the culprit for my shifting problems.

I suspect that the alloy outer part of the parallelogram is too soft, so the steel pivot pins have worn the holes oval. Hopefully they'll swap it under warranty, but I can only see them swapping it once before I'm out of warranty, and they're a bit pricey to have to keep buying them when they go bad, unless they start supplying spare parts for them.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Thanks all I am going with a NX Cassette and Chain was planning on changing chain regularly as being so cheap, with a view that I may also need to do this with cassette. Total price for the 2 including delivery £90.97 fit not until the 2nd so still debating if I should go with GX Chain.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Thanks all I am going with a NX Cassette and Chain was planning on changing chain regularly as being so cheap, with a view that I may also need to do this with cassette. Total price for the 2 including delivery £90.97 fit not until the 2nd so still debating if I should go with GX Chain.
I would go with a better chain, NX cassette is fine though. I did around 1000 miles on my T/Levo with an NX cassette and that shows little wear tbh.

Last edited:

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I would go with a better chain, NX cassette is fine though. I did around 1000 miles on my T/Levo with an NX cassette and that shows little wear tbh.
Point taken rich on 2 previous bikes I have had XX1 setup and have never had to change chains prior to sale, although certainly not a daily rider. These 2 don't look that different accept one stupid funny colour & weight with case XX1 305gms NX 318gms.

chains.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles