AXS Destroying SRAM Cassettes?

ALLeighton

Jan 7, 2023
Oceano, California
I have 2023 Ibis Oso with SRAM GX AXS. After six months and less than 400 miles, the shifting went from perfect to impossible-to-adjust gear jumping. This despite a clean chain with less than 0.5% stretch, straight derailleur hanger, and correct b-tension setting at 30% drag. After dropping it off at my LBS they finally determined the cassette was damaged, with visibly bent or twisted teeth on several gears. The cassette was replaced with another GX and a new chain.

All is working like new again, but I am concerned about going through cassettes every 300 miles. I ride in EMTB mode 99% of the time and push hard, but weigh ~150 lbs. and take care not to dump through the gears. Anyone else have a similar experience with AXS systems and SRAM cassettes?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No................and the most likely way to bend cassette teeth is not backing off as the mech is changing gear. AXS change is fast and often completely silent so it does make it slightly less obvious when to back off.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
No NX cassette/AXS problems on my Cube with Bosch CX, but I habitually back off pedal pressure for every gear change. I ride a lot on steep hills too.

ALLeighton

Jan 7, 2023
Oceano, California
Yeah, I try to consciously back off my pedaling before shifting but wonder if I also need to factor in the Bosch motor overrun. Is this what you guys are doing?

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
I get 3,500 miles out of an AXS drivetrain before having to swap anything. Then usually do the cassette, chain and chainring at the same time.

ALLeighton

Jan 7, 2023
Oceano, California
I never use Turbo mode. Typically, in EMTB mode. I am modifying my shifting a bit more to see if it helps. Otherwise, I might swap back to Shimano XT or consider the new AXS system. Talking to a SRAM rep at Sea Otter Classic, he was well-aware of this issue and said the new AXS system should prevent this from happening. Hoping I can adjust to the current AXS system:)

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
GX AXS with GX 10-50T cassette & GX chain here.

Shifting is still perfect as when it was new, I saw a really low degradation of shifting quality when the chain was a little above 0,5. Replaced the chain for a new one and it's all perfect again.

I back off during shifts and start back to pedal when I hear the chain engage, which is almost instant on AXS.

CliffP

Jan 24, 2023
San Antonio Texas
I have 2023 Ibis Oso with SRAM GX AXS. After six months and less than 400 miles, the shifting went from perfect to impossible-to-adjust gear jumping. This despite a clean chain with less than 0.5% stretch, straight derailleur hanger, and correct b-tension setting at 30% drag. After dropping it off at my LBS they finally determined the cassette was damaged, with visibly bent or twisted teeth on several gears. The cassette was replaced with another GX and a new chain.

All is working like new again, but I am concerned about going through cassettes every 300 miles. I ride in EMTB mode 99% of the time and push hard, but weigh ~150 lbs. and take care not to dump through the gears. Anyone else have a similar experience with AXS systems and SRAM cassettes?
I have about 400 miles on my Smart system and have no issues yet. I do try to shift smart but by no means baby the drive train. I love the EMTB mode as well. Your bike has lots more rear travel but not sure that matters. I will keep an eye on it though. Good luck

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA

Mine is working O.K., but I’ve been guilty of shifting with pedal pressure on and subsequent hard shifts, so the drive train has taken some hits. I’m trying to learn how to ease off the pedals when I shift to a larger cog.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I back off during shifts and start back to pedal when I hear the chain engage, which is almost instant on AXS.
I back off pedal pressure about 1/4 to a 1/2 second before I click the shifter and start applying pressure almost immediately after clicking the shifter. That's with the rear cassette, I've never ridden AXS with a front derailleur.

No problems yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles