What did you buy your ebike this week?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A Minion SS after broken glass killed the one I've been happily running for 2600 miles ;)
I HATE WANKERS WHO BREAK GLASS AND DON'T CLEAN IT UP!
Patched it from inside with an automotive patch like I always do if sealant won't plug a hole/tear but the threads are now weakened meaning it'll bulge like one of those frogs necks if run tubeless at 50psi (would have still worked fine with a tube). Binned it anyway though and fitted a new DHRII I already had
I won't be fitting the SS until spring now as I have spare wheels slicked up for the commute. Just bought it ass they're a good price just now (£25)

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
A Minion SS after broken glass killed the one I've been happily running for 2600 miles ;)
I HATE WANKERS WHO BREAK GLASS AND DON'T CLEAN IT UP!
Patched it from inside with an automotive patch like I always do if sealant won't plug a hole/tear but the threads are now weakened meaning it'll bulge like one of those frogs necks if run tubeless at 50psi (would have still worked fine with a tube). Binned it anyway though and fitted a new DHRII I already had
I won't be fitting the SS until spring now as I have spare wheels slicked up for the commute. Just bought it ass they're a good price just now (£25)
in answer to your original question: Gary bought "a tire".

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I got a tyre for the rear and went again with a 27.5x2.6 Specialized Eliminator black dimond. After doing 2800km on the last one, I was happy to buy again. Also stuck with the 2.6, as anything 2.8 is horrid and vague.
I also got a new Sram pc110 chain and SRAM pg1130 cassette and have already managed to bend a tooth on the cassette because I shift under full power.
Scored the dampener shaft on the Monarch, so replaced it with a Fox Float DPS. Was going to get a x2 or the like but I don’t do long descents as I tire easily.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pick your choice of sticker today Mr Limits

spelling.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Inexpensive week for me.
Tire levers that fit into my toolkit that fits in the bottle cage.
My local bike professor says he’s tried countless over the years but IceToolz are his choice and are used day in day out in his busy workshop.
A9D1285E-979D-4D4C-A321-2E5C7F10E545.jpeg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
A bottle cage tool kit. What a great idea!
Yes absolutely I agree. I mostly need more than a single bottle of water.

I wonder who it was it dawned upon first...presumably an early emtber possibly even earlier mtb rider?
And thanks to whoever it was here that prompted me to get a cage toolkit.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

I wonder who it was it dawned upon first...presumably an early emtber possibly even earlier mtb rider?

My Tri-Metals bike shed gets scorching hot in the summer so there are certain things i don’t keep in there like gas canisters, batteries, torches.
A storage canister like that would be great for popping things in and out of the bike

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk

Plenty of stuff on YT on how to convert your bottle/bidon, should you need to, and to what people carry in theirs, for trails and racing.. I first converted a bottle into a toolkit about 5 years ago when I was racing.. seemed to be all the 'rage' then..

Muc-Off Tool Bottle | Merlin Cycles

Back on with the thread title - mucky nuts xl fender.

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My eBike got a new shifter trigger with an indicator window (SLX to match my derailleur). I can't believe I just did this, because in my early MTB days, I hated these things! We used to consider that triggers with indicator windows were for commuter bikes or beginners that didn't know which way to shift.

But with motor assist making pedal effort feel closely similar, I could never get close to guessing which gear I'm on. So annoying when I either shift when I didn't have to, or shift in the wrong direction, or I don't shift enough steps to be where I should be - like getting in or out of switch-backs.

I had the new trigger installed for the first time on a new trail today, and it was fantastic! Just a quick peek and I know exactly what to do - two or sometime three clicks up or down (depends on my power setting which I also change all the time) and my gearing was on point... very satisfying!

SLX Trigger.jpg

The only SLX trigger I could find is a direct bar mount. But the original Deore trigger is an i-Spec mount, which is tucked underneath the brake lever clamp... so I had to insert a plastic spacer in there as a substitute to get the brake clamp to tighten properly. I couldn't find a local source that had them, and I didn't have the time to order one from overseas so I did some measuring and printed one in PLA plastic on my 3D printer.

iSpec Spacer.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
We used to convert water bottles to carry tools, spare tubular etc when I was 16 riding road bikes. That’s over 30 years ago now. ?
An old roadie mate used to do the same. He'd done it since the 60s so I suspect it's almost as old an idea as the waterbottle and cage itself.

There are far better solutions today for not a lot of dosh.

LifeLine Zip Up Tool Stash | Chain Reaction Cycles

Same product is available on ebay for about £3.50 if you can wait for delivery from China

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
As it’s pouring down with rain I decided to visit the Wimbledon Evans store to buy my ebike some presents today.

1. Contoured grips
2. Bell
3. Chain cleaner

Was also going to buy an Osprey Synchro 12 bike specific rucksack but it seemed a bit small. I think the size 20 is better but they didn’t have it in the right colour.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
An old roadie mate used to do the same. He'd done it since the 60s so I suspect it's almost as old an idea as the waterbottle and cage itself.

There are far better solutions today

I agree, I actually always preferred the under the seat pack, or seeing if I could stuff everything under the seat rails.

I hate anything extra attached to the bike these days, preferring a small backpack. I know from the popularity of bottle mounts that others don’t feel the same :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I agree, I actually always preferred the under the seat pack, or seeing if I could stuff everything under the seat rails.
Can't say I do agree. Personally I think saddle mouted bags are an awful idea on anything other than a roadbike (but even then they're hardly ideal)
  • in direct firing line from water/mud/debris off the rear tyre
  • most larger saddle mounted bags have a high chance of rubbing the stanchion of a dropper post
  • the largest packs get in the way of pelvis/crotch clearance
  • Can limit dropper post drop (fouling/buzzing the rear tyre at full travel)
  • adds weight high up (the worst place possible)
Plus it's kinda mental running a £200 135g SLR saddle and then hanging 400g of shit from it ;)

A small frame mounted bag down by the BB out of harms way would always be the best option for me. Sadly not possible on my own FS Emtb frame.
I never ever carry a pack. I absolutely hate them. But I also hate unneeded weight added to a bike so I carry only minimal/essential spares on the bike (mounted as low and centrally as I can) with phone/keys/money in my pocket and on longer rides I just use a small lightweight runners waterbottle waist belt with a 500ml bottle and a tiny zipped pocket with just enough room for, keys, money and a small snack/multitool.
I also always dress light but appropriately for the ride/weather/conditions and effort I'm going to be using so absolutely never carry spare clothing or any other faffy stuff I'll never use.

Each of my bikes has it's own set of tools/spares specific to it and mounted to the frame so I can ride straight away without the need for any faff, forgetting or having to look for stuff.
eg. my Emtb has a Dakine hotlaps gripper bag mounted to the frame (iunfortunately due to my bike frame design/size it has to be mounted above the battery towards the front of the downtube/toptube junction)
The bag contains: 2x superlight 90g innertubes, 1x tyre patch, 1x tube patch, a small tube of vulcanising solution with a square of sandpaper, 1x really tiny folding hex key/torx set. 1x tiny chaintool, 1x10mm hex bit , 2x Co2 carts with head. a couple of zipties, a mech hanger and a quicklink. The entire pack loaded full is 600g. I mainly carry all that as I also commute on it between a 20-40 mile round trip 4 days a week.
for shorter local rides I'll often take the hotlaps bag off the bike completely and just ride with a multi tool in my pocket as the bike is nicer to ride without the added weight. and wort comes to it I need to walk home a few miles (I have miles and miles of off road trails within a 5 mile radius of my front door)

Each to their own though ;)

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
We used to convert water bottles to carry tools, spare tubular etc when I was 16 riding road bikes. That’s over 30 years ago now. ?

I’ve never seen that before, but I picked up a hitchhiker once who showed me that his gas can was a fake that he used to carry his food, water and light jacket.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Was also going to buy an Osprey Synchro 12 bike specific rucksack but it seemed a bit small. I think the size 20 is better but they didn’t have it in the right colour.

I've got the Osprey Raptor 14 and that is more or less spot on for me with my normal pack-up inc. hydration pack. Would not go much smaller though...

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Can't say I do agree. Personally I think saddle mouted bags are an awful idea on anything other than a roadbike (but even then they're hardly ideal)
We do agree. I was referring to my road bike at age 16 ?. My eventual solution was everything in the three pockets in the back of my jersey. Climbing with stuff in your seat make the bike feels less nimble when your ’dancing’ up a hill. In those days I was 55kg wet through though so 500g on my back was easy. I’m 10 kg more now but my ethos is still the same as I’m light and the bike is heavy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles