What chance of selling a Levo 500wh battery if we upgrade to the 700wh

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys my wife Linda wants a Levo and is trying to find the base model in the black/nice blue colour although they seem to be sold out :( but she wants the 700wh battery upgrade so if she got one what chance if any would there be of selling a brand new 500wh battery? Little or none? :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
You can always find a buyer - the question is price. Even brand new with a receipt I doubt you would get more than 50% of the list price, as getting a warranty replacement in the event of a problem could be difficult for the buyer.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
You can always find a buyer - the question is price. Even brand new with a receipt I doubt you would get more than 50% of the list price, as getting a warranty replacement in the event of a problem could be difficult for the buyer.

Thanks Matty I know we would lose money on it but to be able to sell it new would be great even if we lost on it as having an extra battery lying around makes no sense.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
On top of the warranty issue I guess that it is not that attractive to buy a spare battery as it’s next to impossible to carry it in a backpack unless you are 7’ tall. Furthermore I bet the market will flood with the small battery as many will upgrade to the 700 Wh. All in all I think 50% is rather optimistic.

Karsten

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
On top of the warranty issue I guess that it is not that attractive to buy a spare battery as it’s next to impossible to carry it in a backpack unless you are 7’ tall. Furthermore I bet the market will flood with the small battery as many will upgrade to the 700 Wh. All in all I think 50% is rather optimistic.

Karsten

You're probably right she might have to wait until they launch next years bikes

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Seems a very expensive way of getting a bit more power.
I’d talk her into a Focus and TEC pack or another option where the battery isn’t going to cost you over £1k

i know it is and I know it's not really feasible, you never know when she sees my new Focus Jam2 with the TEC pack next week she might love it but I know how much she loves the Levo :)

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

Karsten
I think the price is going to be pretty country dependant, here in Switzerland they are Chf 8/900 so 5/600 pound for 2018 models. Warranty should be covered every where so might be worth looking at shipping costs to sell abroad if you have a contract there.

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Just a thought - Why not use the 504Wh battery and see whether it is enough? - your other half might be surprised with the available range. If it proves inadequate then get the bigger battery and sell on the other one. As others have said even unused it will lose a lot of money, a few charge cycles will probably make no difference if you have to upgrade. You would be no worse off if you do upgrade, and if you don’t you will have saved a fortune. The 2019 bikes are powerful and efficient, so your partner might not need as much support dialled in as you expect.

Simon

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Well worth having 2 battery’s if they are cheap enough , keep one in the car for bike park days etc
1000 w combined, so better than 1 700 w in my opinion , but I’m not gonna carry one in a rucksack as I’m already heavy enough !

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just a thought - Why not use the 504Wh battery and see whether it is enough? - your other half might be surprised with the available range. If it proves inadequate then get the bigger battery and sell on the other one. As others have said even unused it will lose a lot of money, a few charge cycles will probably make no difference if you have to upgrade. You would be no worse off if you do upgrade, and if you don’t you will have saved a fortune. The 2019 bikes are powerful and efficient, so your partner might not need as much support dialled in as you expect.

Simon
Thanks Simon and that's not a bad shout, she has a three year old Haibike with a 500wh battery and she has never run out of power although she has been close :) but she does have to manage that battery and she thought if she got the 700wh battery she would be in clover :) I wonder how her setup from 2016 compares to the Levo setup of 2019 in terms of efficiency.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How about a range extender? Much cheaper than buying / selling batteries.

I actually think if you do sell the 504Wh will hold good value. It’s a popular bike and lots of potential purchases of backup batteries.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
How about a range extender? Much cheaper than buying / selling batteries.

I actually think if you do sell the 504Wh will hold good value. It’s a popular bike and lots of potential purchases of backup batteries.

Hi Rob a range extender I didn't know you could get one for the Levo?

Ahh I just googled it and found it on here hmmm not sure about the looks on that bottle, great idea though.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
three year old Haibike with a 500wh battery and she has never run out of power although she has been close
After 3 years there could be a drop in capacity. Also, the Bosch PowerPack 500 isn't actually 500Wh, it's closer to 480Wh. Add the 5% capacity hike to the lighter bike with a more efficient motor and she should be in clover already. ;)

Unless she's paying, I'd be telling her to forget the Levo and getting her a Focus and TEC Pack.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
After 3 years there could be a drop in capacity. Also, the Bosch PowerPack 500 isn't actually 500Wh, it's closer to 480Wh. Add the 5% capacity hike to the lighter bike with a more efficient motor and she should be in clover already. ;)

Unless she's paying, I'd be telling her to forget the Levo and getting her a Focus and TEC Pack.
Oh that's good to know, but she is paying :) and I am not sure she would like the same bike as I am getting :) Interesting about the 2016 battery though.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I'd buy one based one the fact that 504wh is all i need for my commute and basically running the battery till it's dead is what I have in mind. When or if you sell it, post it on the forum as I may take it if the price is right. :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think you would have a problem selling it at all - I have tow batteries for my bike, and would for any EMTB I own in the future, simply because you can keep one in the car, have a spare charged up ready to go if you are riding multiple days in a row, and many other reasons. The 700wh isn't enough of a battery to do a full day at some of the bigger trail centers, so even if I had a bike with a bigger battery I would still have a spare.

I also think there is a market for those with the bigger batteries in their bikes wanting the smaller barttery too, as it save a fair amount of weight. If I had an S-Works, I would want the smaller battery in it for most rides, and only use the bigger one for longer days.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I dont think you would have a problem selling it at all - I have tow batteries for my bike, and would for any EMTB I own in the future, simply because you can keep one in the car, have a spare charged up ready to go if you are riding multiple days in a row, and many other reasons. The 700wh isn't enough of a battery to do a full day at some of the bigger trail centers, so even if I had a bike with a bigger battery I would still have a spare.

I also think there is a market for those with the bigger batteries in their bikes wanting the smaller barttery too, as it save a fair amount of weight. If I had an S-Works, I would want the smaller battery in it for most rides, and only use the bigger one for longer days.

Thanks that does make sense, out of interest I will have to see if I can find out the weight difference between the two batteries.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
How long and how much climbing our your rides?

The rides vary and often we go from home so her battery easily copes, we do 28 mile off road rides on the north york moors with around 3000ft of climbing and her bike has done that as well but she has to manage the battery, and has very little left at the end :)

I think she likes the idea of having more battery power than she needs and not having to manage it as much but I think in reality a 500wh newer bike would be fine for her, I wonder if the Levo's are quite efficient on the battery.

Joss

Well I know a man who’d almost certainly buy it - me! Finally dug my wallet out and ordered a Levo, due to be delivered on Saturday. I’m already looking into spare batteries. First choice would be a 700 for the reasons you describe but I’d settle for a 500 just for the peace of mind as they don’t seem that easy to get hold of. I should really speak with Bikescene to find out! Like you, my typical use will be 25-30 mile rides on the NYM, and the 500 has managed that but without much room for greedy use of power and ill-disciplined use of the higher support modes. I’ve limped back into Guisborough a couple of times with very little juice left.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Have you asked your dealer if they can do the exchange at the time of purchase and you just pay the extra for the 700 battery.
So basically they give you a full refund for the 500 battery?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Have you asked your dealer if they can do the exchange at the time of purchase and you just pay the extra for the 700 battery.
So basically they give you a full refund for the 500 battery?

Sadly they don't do that you have to buy the 700wh battery and then you are stuck with the 500wh battery.

Linda is going to wait for a while now as some of those posts showing big paint chips after only 5 rides are a bit concerning.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
In the UK we're waiting for the next batch to be delivered - LBS says all 700W batteries are for the iop bikes, or for warranty, and not able to swap out at purchase time - this after talking to Specialized - before that he thought would be possible. So it's either a supply and demand issue, or there's a strong line from Spec not to sell the cheaper bikes with the larger battery.....

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
In the UK we're waiting for the next batch to be delivered - LBS says all 700W batteries are for the iop bikes, or for warranty, and not able to swap out at purchase time - this after talking to Specialized - before that he thought would be possible. So it's either a supply and demand issue, or there's a strong line from Spec not to sell the cheaper bikes with the larger battery.....

That's what I thought they won't sell the cheaper bikes with the 700wh battery!

Joss

My LBS would upgrade the battery for £750. Not sure of their full RRP but it sounded like I was very nearly paying for 2 batteries but only getting to keep one.
If you do go that route, I'd be genuinely interested in the second battery for a nominal discount from best available price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles