Weight gain from EMTB

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I ride about twice the miles on my analogue Enduro as I do on my Trek Rail.

If I'm riding with friends where everyone's on an ebike and going hard I still find my average heart rate is about 10-15 bpm lower than on my Enduro. I'm not 100% sure why, but my theory is that the technicalities of the trail don't let me go as flat out because of the higher average speed. Skill and technicality get in the way. The ebike definitely gives me a better upper body workout though.

So yeah, I have sympathy with the OP. Getting an ebike let me keep up, and then get fit enough to ride analogue with the fast group of friends I hang out with now. Regular bike rides are more strenuous than ebike rides, but probably only because other factors come in to it.

(Edited to remove snark)

Last edited:

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
Actually, almost any sport will burn almost the same calories an hour if done at similar intensity. It's your capacity to do aerobic stuff
exactly, that's the point.
I noticed that on EMTB is harder to keep the same intensity...
yes, you can do that, but you have to focus a lot. I had intense rides, but some of them are less.
maybe because non-stop climbs are shorter? dunno.
This is from my experience, I ride my Levo for 6 months, on different modes, different intensities, I can easily reach >90%mHR on techy climbs.
Also I do 2500m elevation on my analog Transition Sentinel (160/150mm travel) and burn 4kkcal (I weight 73kg)
It's the same with a road bike, training is better, because i'm able to execute better intervals. Steady power for some time (possibly longer, like 15-20 mins)

but calories=calories of course, doesn't if it was ebike, bike, rowing or playing chess

Last edited:

saifyboss

Jul 14, 2022
karachi
I did a quick search on this and didnt find much. Be honest, how many of you have gained a decent amount of weight going from an analog to an eeb? Ive been riding regularly (analog) for a little over two years. In the last year, Ive really stepped it up to averaging 4x a week, about 50ish miles, and 6000 ft +. This is a mix of enduro/dh, xc, and a little gravel mixed in. I also hit the gym about 3x a week. In pretty good shape and fairly strong for my age. Rides usually end with a big meal (bar food) and occasionally a few IPAs. With all the riding I did, it was easy to burn off the calories and then some.

I picked up an emtb this past november. I still get out about 4x a week, but most of my rides are on the emtb. The bad part is, Im still eating/drinking the same post ride. In 3 months, Ive gained 10 lbs!

Yes, the emtb does provide a decent workout, but no where near an analog, especially on the tough climbs which my local trails are full of. I’m talking climbs where your lungs are exploding and you curse the day you ever stepped foot on a bike. I miss the feeling of coming back from a ride completely drained. I love the hell out of the ebike, as nothing comes close in producing the smiles per hour (sph) for me. However, I think Im going to have to suck it up (literally) and take out the old pedal bikes a couple times per week.

How many of you have gained a sizable amount of weight? How much? Are you adding the analog back in the mix? Do you not care? Is a hotdog a sandwich?
Here i have lost 5 kg from 77, you need to join gym or hire some personal trainer lol :D

Last edited:

Paris Doo

Jun 20, 2022
Greece
Since I got my e bike I haven't lost any weight but I haven't gained either. Compared to last year and my regular bike I have already done 700 km vs. 200 km and I feel in much better shape & riding form but my weight has remained the same and the reason is that even though I ride more I also eat more so it is a simple calculation of calories in vs. out.

Now I am on a diet and the benefit of riding an e bike is that even though I feel a bit weaker I can still ride 2-3 times per week without feeling exhausted or burn my legs in the process.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
I think i'm different to many in the fact that Ebikes are not for fitness or weight for me, the Ebike is the 'plaything' for me. It's the bike that enables me to lap more at lower efforts.
I still manual MTB i still do lots of Zwift riding, the Ebike isn't for me to work on fitness, but more to enjoy trails and work i guess on technique.
I could lower the power on the Eeb, but don't ...

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I lost almost 7 stone to be able to ride a bike but since then I’ve put 3 stone back on even though I was doing over a 100 miles a week, I’m back on the diet but it’s slow going despite going to the gym 4 times a week, I’ve had a few health issues but hopefully that’s all behind me and I’m able to do more biking now🤞🤞

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
I stopped riding my analog MTB as the hill climbs became to much and I would end up going anarobic and then bonking. (I'm old). My eMTB allows me to ride the trails again and I can keep my heart rate below a thresh hold that then allows me to ride for hours. As an old MTBer, these eMTB's have been a godsend for me.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I stopped riding my analog MTB as the hill climbs became to much and I would end up going anarobic and then bonking. (I'm old). My eMTB allows me to ride the trails again and I can keep my heart rate below a thresh hold that then allows me to ride for hours. As an old MTBer, these eMTB's have been a godsend for me.
I can relate to that entirely mate, I’m old too 🤔

Ribinrobin

Apr 16, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Ride my normal bike more than my e-bike, most my ebike mates are unfit. They are E-MTB fit don't get me wrong they can move bike around etc, but on a normal bike they can only do 1-2 hills before throwing in towel.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Ok thanks. That puts me at 12+ stone.

The problem I have is that I lose weight when I stop riding for a while. I can almost lose 10lbs. When I was working I would gain 20+lbs…or more.

Different metabolism I guess. The eMTB keeps me in shape …and now the Fuel EXE keeps me in better shape.

Ps; my helmet makes me look fat 😉😁.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Holy Crap! If I lost that much I’d probably disappear.
(Not exactly sure how much a stone weighs?)😉
Roughly 108lb’s lost 👍 I envy people who can eat whatever they want to and don’t gain weight, it’s the total opposite for me and pretty miserable at times, I have to exercise to loose weight and keep it from coming back, if I don’t work or go to the gym I can gain weight by pounds a week, sitting around all day is not an option for me, think yourselves very lucky guys ☹️

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles