We got hit hard by Storm Arwen, heres the tree carnage in the town and in the pine forest, very sad.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Pretty much the same in Northumberland with " Tens of Thousands " of trees down in my local forest Kielder ( 250 Square mile ) ...now we have storm Barra to look forward to on Tuesday with more strong winds forecast ..and another dollop of the white stuff..

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
Pretty much the same in Northumberland with " Tens of Thousands " of trees down in my local forest Kielder ( 250 Square mile ) ...now we have storm Barra to look forward to on Tuesday with more strong winds forecast ..and another dollop of the white stuff..
jesus, I didnt realise it was that bad..guess we were lucky

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've got several down in the garden and we just got a flick of it. Can you keep your storms to yourselves now we have Brexit :)

jesus, I didnt realise it was that bad..guess we were lucky
I love the road closed sign at the end .. Like anyone can go down there unless they had a dozer or a harvester.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Riding on the beach could shorten the life of your drive train and motor .
The salt and sand are enemies of E Bikes .
I live near the ocean , but wouldn`t contemplate riding on the beach .

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
I've got several down in the garden and we just got a flick of it. Can you keep your storms to yourselves now we have Brexit :)

I love the road closed sign at the end .. Like anyone can go down there unless they had a dozer or a harvester.
oh they love a good sign in England
Ha...I live on the beach and dunes, dry lubricant and use a bike for what is designed for, its a fatbike.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This is a local trail in some woods in North Yorkshire. The trail is Pirate Radio, it’s very popular

198FD417-AEBE-4456-B6E9-BFB4348244DF.jpeg

The tree was cut up and removed by mtb’ers within hours of it being discovered fallen on the Sunday, the day after the end of the storm

Sadly there are hundreds of trees all over the trails and thousands more uprooted & fallen everywhere

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
This is a full pelt downhill trail near us, The green mile. Or a bitch of a climb, depending on your orientation. We had hardly any of the storm & it still put a fair few trees on their uppers.

E-x9eTHh.jpg large.jpg

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA

I've been riding on sand with eBikes for years with no detrimental effects with a bit of care, and I could say a good bit less than most on here, it is fine. I do however not ride through the salt water. And I don't even have a fat bike!

Blasting around in those dunes looks, well, like a blast! We have similar here.

That windstorm wreaked havoc for sure. In an area north of me now I came upon similar, and in fact worse, damage but it was from the Park Service deciding that it needed to cut down a bunch of trees for I guess a "fire break" in an area where there were no homes......in the process they wiped out a good section of the trail that went through that part of the park.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
What happens now, Hodge? Do the FC start slowly clearing the trails of fallen trees, bearing in mind that they have a lot of other work to do? Or do the local trail builders lend a hand. Sounds like a massive job whoever does it. Have you been to have a look?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Hi Bill..
I would be lying if I said I knew ...
Best guess is that it will be all down to the F.C and contractors...who are pretty shit hot on health & safety and would probably deem it to be too hazardous for volunteers to lend a hand .
I think it fair to assume that the forest roads will be cleared first so that operations ( harvesting ) can continue and that fallen trees will be dealt with as they move to new harvesting sites..walking & mtb trails will be last ..whether or not they will involve trail building volunteers onto these sites ..your guess is as good as mine ..?
I havent been for a look-see..my riding at the weekend was all moorland ..the quote with regard to "Tens of Thousands of trees down" was from a forestry manager on our local TV news ..

Bobbobby

Nov 7, 2018
United Kingdom
presumably they are timber cultivation forests, those trees have very shallow roots and can be knocked over easily.
a few men and a rope can pull one down.
Our pine forest was planted mainly by the victorians to protect the coast.
A lot of it is 200 years old and in my memory of 50 years this is the worst single felling.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
When did you become Mystic Meg ? Presume that’s because of your deer incident 😆
But did he say about the deer incident because he already knew he'd become Mystic Meg if he did ? Has he maybe already answered your question in another thread knowing you'd ask it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles