Waterproof jacket

jezza

Feb 12, 2023
Somerset
I've found over the years that all breathable jackets aren't very breathable once wetted out ..,and for that reason I've always gone for pertex ...it's more breathable and yet you do get a little wetter but it's soo much lighter . You don't get cold as it's windproof so it's warm water underneath....

Just my experience...🤷

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've found over the years that all breathable jackets aren't very breathable once wetted out ..,and for that reason I've always gone for pertex ...it's more breathable and yet you do get a little wetter but it's soo much lighter . You don't get cold as it's windproof so it's warm water underneath....

Just my experience...🤷
You see someone with a new goretex jacket the water runs off it . Doesn't last long like that . Used to say goretex good for about 6 washes . I've got five all bought for hillwalking . I throw nothing away 1986 first one was bought it's twice as thick as the others and a lot more hardwaring . I've never bought in to the reproofing so can't comment. I use a old one if it's really cold on bike and it's so windproof. Most my cycling jackets would be pertex . Trouble I find is when you find one you like they usually change the spec or discontinue it.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I've never found a hardshell jacket that works very well for biking. I use an Endura hardshell if absolutely necessary in the summer, and it's fine but it's sweaty.

For UK winters I can't recommend Paramo enough. A 100% waterproof soft-shell, I just wear it all the time. Ignore their marketing, it's absolutely no good once the temperature is above about 10 degrees, but below that it's incredibly comfortable, well vented, adjustable, and not the slightest bit sweaty despite being 100% waterproof. I wear it with a long sleeved jersey underneath from -5 to +10 and am completely comfortable and dry.

Edited to add: I wear it for about 6 hours of riding a week over the winter, out in all weathers. I ended a six hour ride in Wales in pouring rain in January with a completely dry shirt underneath.

I wash it about every 6 weeks using TechWash, and reproof about every three months with Nikwax proofer. I also have a 15 year old Paramo jacket that would still be fine if the zip wasn't broken, must get that mended. The newer jackets are lighter, which is a mixed blessing.

Expensive, you do need to keep it proofed, but for me nothing else comes close.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I've never found a hardshell jacket that works very well for biking. I use an Endura hardshell if absolutely necessary in the summer, and it's fine but it's sweaty.

For UK winters I can't recommend Paramo enough. A 100% waterproof soft-shell, I just wear it all the time. Ignore their marketing, it's absolutely no good once the temperature is above about 10 degrees, but below that it's incredibly comfortable, well vented, adjustable, and not the slightest bit sweaty despite being 100% waterproof. I wear it with a long sleeved jersey underneath from -5 to +10 and am completely comfortable and dry.

Edited to add: I wear it for about 6 hours of riding a week over the winter, out in all weathers. I ended a six hour ride in Wales in pouring rain in January with a completely dry shirt underneath.

I wash it about every 6 weeks using TechWash, and reproof about every three months with Nikwax proofer. I also have a 15 year old Paramo jacket that would still be fine if the zip wasn't broken, must get that mended. The newer jackets are lighter, which is a mixed blessing.

Expensive, you do need to keep it proofed, but for me nothing else comes close.
My friends swear by paramo . I always thought it was too hot for me as I had a smock and I don’t suffer from cold too much. I noticed in cold or rain hill walking if we stopped for something to eat goretex people put on another top Paramo people didn't have to. So yes for Paramo but I get too muddy.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Two months ago bought the Outdoor Research Foray 2 jacket and love it. It is not an MTB-specific jacket but excellent all around. The pit zips are amazing and layers well, which is what I was looking for. It is also an excellent price, and I even got it on sale.

So far, I've used it for fat biking as a shell over my soft shell or a base layer, depending on the temperature. It's been on a few snowshoeing trips (where I used it in the poncho configuration), and currently on vacation in Florida and just used it to walk to the store in the rain. It is a bit too tight to be layered over my down 800 puff jacket, but that is to be expected.

My only issue with it so far is it doesn't come with a way to pack it up into itself. I might still buy the 7mesh Northwoods shell as more of a strap to the bike backup. I wanted the 7mesh co-pilot, but the lack of pit zips made me skip it.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
My friends swear by paramo . I always thought it was too hot for me as I had a smock and I don’t suffer from cold too much. I noticed in cold or rain hill walking if we stopped for something to eat goretex people put on another top Paramo people didn't have to. So yes for Paramo but I get too muddy.
Paramo handles the mud better than a hard shell IMO. I do find that I get hot when I stop as I'm relying on the vents to control temperature when moving, but that's probably a +ve not a -ve.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Paramo handles the mud better than a hard shell IMO. I do find that I get hot when I stop as I'm relying on the vents to control temperature when moving, but that's probably a +ve not a -ve.
Trouble is drying or washing something as hi tech as that gear twice a week I don't think it would last . If I was a millionaire and had 7 jackets it wouldn't be a problem.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Trouble is drying or washing something as hi tech as that gear twice a week I don't think it would last . If I was a millionaire and had 7 jackets it wouldn't be a problem.
You can't wash any waterproof jacket twice a week, they'd all die! I hose mine off after the ride, it gets rinse washed every 2-3 weeks, proper washed every 6 weeks or so, and re-proofed every quarter. My older Paramo is 15 I think? The zip's buggered but the jacket's fine.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
You can't wash any waterproof jacket twice a week, they'd all die! I hose mine off after the ride, it gets rinse washed every 2-3 weeks, proper washed every 6 weeks or so, and re-proofed every quarter. My older Paramo is 15 I think? The zip's buggered but the jacket's fine.
Totally agree I rotate jackets if it's still wet when i want to go out . Not so much mud since I got mudhugger . Roll on summer ☀️

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not a jacket but swear by these at £25 from army surplus and just cut legs off. Not a great cycling fit but with the galases they are OK. I have gore ones as well which are a great fit but thin as paper and have a few holes already.

20230316_111927.jpg 20230316_112048.jpg

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I thought of the hood issue too. It only flaps around and it’s difficult to tuck away …but I sometimes need it when I wear the MT500 for those downpours. It’s nice to have a hood.

I also have a ShowerPass rain jacket for MTBing. Heavy duty with a magnetic ass-flap. Great for really cold days when full coverage is needed.
Hi,
I am looking also into the MT500 waterproof jacket and tried it on today but the hood is extremely large (to cover the helmet).
Is there any way to roll it / fold it / clip it?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi,
I am looking also into the MT500 waterproof jacket and tried it on today but the hood is extremely large (to cover the helmet).
Is there any way to roll it / fold it / clip it?
That Sport Pursuit website worth a look for clothing it's seems a lot cheaper. Not sure if they have MT 500 though. Ps just looked they have MT500 but only green in small size £140 worth keeping an 👁 on site.

Last edited:

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Just an update on the Outdoor Research Foray 2 jacket

I'm a year into using it - I used it all last winter for fat biking when there was a chance I might get wet or to help cut down on the wind. Then I also used it most of the summer as a rain jacket and used it when snow-blowing and snow-shoeing. Still use Patagonia R1 or R2 layer under it and often as a top layer if it is nicer out.

I'm using it again this year for fat biking and still love how easy it is to vent. It also packs easily, but I wish it would pack up into itself so I could strap it to the bike.

Waterproofness isn't what it was when it was new. I likely need to wash it to help restore some of that.

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
The yellow colour is better for those winter days.
I wear a 3-layer Leatt Hydra Dri 5 mtb jacket and for me it cuts the mustard as a breathable outer shell in the winter as well as a stand-alone piece in the shoulder seasons. Some thoughtful touches like a magnet to secure the hood when it’s not in use to a climb vent connector which is just a little strap snap in the front that prevents the jacket from flapping around when it’s unzipped. There’s also a small zippered pocket in the left sleeve of the fore arm for storing small items. Front pockets are huge and elbows and shoulders have heavier fabric guard protection.

IMG_20221106_1137197.jpg

GH013071 - frame at 0m44s.jpg

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
The Shower Pass jacket seems a little warmer than the MT500. Removable hood, decent ventilation. About the same price as the MT 500.

View attachment 133310
The yellow colour is better for those winter days.
👍👍👍 Thank you very much for the recommendation. It looks interesting to me but its not being offered by German or EU shops, „only“ from UK and its here much more expensive than the Endura MT500 (Refuge 530 vs MT 280 CAD, incl. taxes).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Well proven that Gortex is good for about seven washes then it loses its breathability and waterproofness, read it and wèep.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Well proven that Gortex is good for about seven washes then it loses its breathability and waterproofness, read it and wèep.
???

I tried the Goretex Endura jacket. Fitted well but the layer is paper thin and did not feel robust enough to me for trail MTBing.
Well, I have a Endura Hummvee Hooded Watertight jacket that I use for daily wear and commuting 6km to work.
On MTB I use a Vaude Moab jacket that is not bad but not water resistant enough for the cold and rainy season. Subject to ambient temperatures I layer up under the jackets but do not want a sauna inside.

🙂 Thats why I look into a „watertight“ jacket with good ventilation and pockets for keys and phone. The MT500 looks right (except the parachute like hood🫣).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
???

I tried the Goretex Endura jacket. Fitted well but the layer is paper thin and did not feel robust enough to me for trail MTBing.
Well, I have a Endura Hummvee Hooded Watertight jacket that I use for daily wear and commuting 6km to work.
On MTB I use a Vaude Moab jacket that is not bad but not water resistant enough for the cold and rainy season. Subject to ambient temperatures I layer up under the jackets but do not want a sauna inside.

🙂 Thats why I look into a „watertight“ jacket with good ventilation and pockets for keys and phone. The MT500 looks right (except the parachute like hood🫣).
I find most Shell /goretex jackets are too thin nowadays and too easily damaged. I don't throw anything away and am using two old goretex jackets bought for hill walking both in good condition , one is 20 years old other 22 . These are more robust than my newer hill walking shell which would be two years old .I don't think getting covered in mud and washing weekly does any material any good . I used a Vaude Escape cycling jacket for years it was great , I had three but they discontinued it . Not easy

Prairie Dog

Subscriber
Mar 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
I find most Shell /goretex jackets are too thin nowadays and too easily damaged. I don't throw anything away and am using two old goretex jackets bought for hill walking both in good condition , one is 20 years old other 22 . These are more robust than my newer hill walking shell which would be two years old .I don't think getting covered in mud and washing weekly does any material any good . I used a Vaude Escape cycling jacket for years it was great , I had three but they discontinued it . Not easy
That’s the very reason why I opted for a jacket made from more durable fabric but still maintains its waterproof/breathable qualities. Many sections of the local singletracks that I ride are fairly tight and I’ve actually ripped open a couple of thinner jackets passing trees. The multi-layered Leatt that I now wear has been subjected to the same abuse and only shows slightly visible scuffs as a result.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
That’s the very reason why I opted for a jacket made from more durable fabric but still maintains its waterproof/breathable qualities. Many sections of the local singletracks that I ride are fairly tight and I’ve actually ripped open a couple of thinner jackets passing trees. The multi-layered Leatt that I now wear has been subjected to the same abuse and only shows slightly visible scuffs as a result.

Trouble i find is i never see these jackets folk speak about i only see them online so no idea of the fit or actual thickness etc . My mates swear by Paramo equipment its very hard wearing and waterproof , it's a bit too warm for me . Same old story again anything hi tech spec or expensive is not something I want to be coverering in mud and washing twice a week . All depends where I am riding really if in sheltered tree areas with no wind I get away with thinner jackets. If going on a exposed mountain track for a few hours i would be better equipped . I don't think there is a perfect jacket to be honest. On longer exposed hill rides in bad winter weather I would have a extra top and food and stove and emergency bivi. Meandering a bit now .

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
I tend to buy jackets that aren't biking specific. I don't think I've had any issues with the cut not being long enough on the back because I'd probably run a mudguard in winter if it bothered me.

I'm ex military and agree with an earlier post about picking up some items in army surplus shops. Or an online place like military1st.co.uk sells a lot of good outdoor gear at a reasonable price. Ideal for many outdoor activities like hiking and bushcraft too.

Beyond that I picked up an Adidas terrex goretex in the past for £70 and that has been a decent packable lightweight jacket.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I tend to buy jackets that aren't biking specific. I don't think I've had any issues with the cut not being long enough on the back because I'd probably run a mudguard in winter if it bothered me.

I'm ex military and agree with an earlier post about picking up some items in army surplus shops. Or an online place like military1st.co.uk sells a lot of good outdoor gear at a reasonable price. Ideal for many outdoor activities like hiking and bushcraft too.

Beyond that I picked up an Adidas terrex goretex in the past for £70 and that has been a decent packable lightweight
Yes only difference I see with bike specific is a long tail and arms may be longer too. Some lovely jackets out there but prices are ridiculous.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Can anyone recommend a VERY packable "emergency" layer type jacket?

I have a proper ShowersPass I've had for years that I use if it's already rubbish and cold when I head out, and a Madison Flux1 that I can stick in my bum-bag side pocket if it might be needed.
The Flux has been great, less than 100g and packs down smaller than your fist (or my fist more accurately), I have often put it on to block unexpected wind or showers, but I have now ripped both arms to shreds and it needs replacing.

EVERY "super lightweight" "super packable" jacket I look at gives absolutely no useful information about how much it ACTUALLY weighs or how small it packs down to, despite that being it's whole raison d'etre. which is making choosing a new one (on-line at least) impossible.

I don't expect fully waterproof or super breathable, but it needs to be very small/light (under 100g/4oz) and not ridiculously expensive so that when I rip the elbows out it isn't the end of the world.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Can anyone recommend a VERY packable "emergency" layer type jacket?

I have a proper ShowersPass I've had for years that I use if it's already rubbish and cold when I head out, and a Madison Flux1 that I can stick in my bum-bag side pocket if it might be needed.
The Flux has been great, less than 100g and packs down smaller than your fist (or my fist more accurately), I have often put it on to block unexpected wind or showers, but I have now ripped both arms to shreds and it needs replacing.

EVERY "super lightweight" "super packable" jacket I look at gives absolutely no useful information about how much it ACTUALLY weighs or how small it packs down to, despite that being it's whole raison d'etre. which is making choosing a new one (on-line at least) impossible.

I don't expect fully waterproof or super breathable, but it needs to be very small/light (under 100g/4oz) and not ridiculously expensive so that when I rip the elbows out it isn't the end of the world.
I have one of these for summer. Shower proof. Not breathable but pacs down small in the bag that comes with it.

Screenshot_20240206_194646_Chrome.jpg

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Thanks, that's an option. Any idea how small it goes or the weight? I need it to stuff into the side pocket of my bum-bag.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks, that's an option. Any idea how small it goes or the weight? I need it to stuff into the side pocket of my bum-bag.
Advert when I bought it Endura says size of can of coke probably not far wrong . I've had mine for a few years but it has no model name on it . So not 100 percent it's the same one . I will have a look in morning it's in shed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles