Warranty transfer when selling a bike - what's possible, what's not?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Hi All - just sold a Haibike Flyon to someone local - the bike shop I got it from a year ago is being prickly about transferring any warranty details. I'm not sure where we stand with regard to the standard consumer rights, and the manufacturer warranty. I know the vast majority of retail establishments don't understand consumer rights, but I thought if anyone would know, you guys would.

Huge thanks!

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Haibike don't allow you to transfer the warranty? From google...

WARRANTY DETAILS
This warranty only applies to the original retail purchaser and is not transferable. ... Haibike Bicycles' liability under this limited warranty shall never exceed the amount of the original purchase.

Can you just agree with the new owner that you will help him out with warranty issues (acting as if you still own the bike)?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I think thats the best thing to do to be honest, it was a cash thing and the bike shop are being awkward (again) - anything Haibike says I would put in the bin :D

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38

WARRANTY DETAILS
This warranty only applies to the original retail purchaser and is not transferable. ... Haibike Bicycles' liability under this limited warranty shall never exceed the amount of the original purchase.

Can you just agree with the new owner that you will help him out with warranty issues (acting as if you still own the bike)?
That’s what I got from the first owner of my lads Cube ??

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal

3ACC87C3-D5DB-4F1E-A576-99C391BF3B8C.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

WARRANTY DETAILS

That's from the USA site so may be different to the EU or UK warranty.

UK warranty details here;

INCLUSIONS:

• Covers the original purchaser only.

Exclusions include stunt riding. Seems a bit off considering who their main ambassador is...

Jardoon

Oct 10, 2020
Bradford
I bought a 6 month cube 160 hpc and the kiox stopped working after a month took it to local cube dealer they asked for original proof of purchase with the original owner emailed my and they replaced it under warranty and said they will cover the bike till warranty ends happy days ???

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Amazes me people pay so much for second hand ebikes given the lack of warrenty and the falibility of motors and electronics. You can be lucky, but just as likely you could be paying through your nose for a basic fault.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To be clear, the warranty terms are set by the manufacturer and the warranty is with the manufacturer not the shop you bought it from. The shop can facilitate warranty claims assuming they are one of the manufacturers named dealers. Invariably the warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners and also limited to specific parts of the bike whilst other branded ( Shiman/SRAM etc) items have their own warranties. So I do not blame the shop for declining.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Warrantys applies over the product not over the owner. No matter what any brand says. Lawsuit is easy win, but ... you get in all that shitty process

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To be clear, the warranty terms are set by the manufacturer and the warranty is with the manufacturer not the shop you bought it from. The shop can facilitate warranty claims assuming they are one of the manufacturers named dealers. Invariably the warranty is not transferable to subsequent owners and also limited to specific parts of the bike whilst other branded ( Shiman/SRAM etc) items have their own warranties. So I do not blame the shop for declining.
Warrantys applies over the product not over the owner. No matter what any brand says. Lawsuit is easy win, but ... you get in all that shitty process
You are conflating whatever consumer law applies in any country with a manufacturers warranty. In some jurisdictions, certain products must include some set period of warranty, but in general a warranty can be set however the manufacturer deems practical, and that warranty is between the purchaser and the manufacturer.......often facilitated by the manufacturer's retail outlet. Your consumer rights are between you and the retailer and are invariably tested by "fit for purpose" assessment and are also time limited. Other legal rights include raising a civil suit against the seller., for example, if you buy from an individual rather than a retailer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles