Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

beutelfuchs

Aug 11, 2019
Barcelona
Lastly I have always found walk assist works well PROVIDED the correct gear for the conditions is selected. If power/ speed has been reduced it probably now needs a lower gear than before.
The correct gear? Isn´t that in 99% of cases the first one? Maybe its me, but before pushing I always try to max out pedaling and naturally here I end up in gear 1 before also that wouldn´t help any more and I have to jump off the bike.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The correct gear? Isn´t that in 99% of cases the first one? Maybe its me, but before pushing I always try to max out pedaling and naturally here I end up in gear 1 before also that wouldn´t help any more and I have to jump off the bike.
Not in my experience. There is no weight on the bike so the lowest gear usually just makes the back wheel skid...which makes the bike think it has exceeded the max speed so cuts off the assist. I usually find mid cassette is best.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I got the update last week and now it's in the shop with the exact same red and blue flashing lights as you. Happened 8 times yesterday on a short 10 mile ride. Again 200 feet from the shop this morning as I was bringing it in. At first I thought it was just a coincidence that perhaps the speed sensor cable was failing, but if it's happening to you too, I can't help but wonder if it's the new update ....

Mine is a 2019 Expert on it's second motor. I don't think it's the motor as it works great until the power cuts and I get the red and blue

@lumpy sorry to hear will PM you also.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I have red and blue lines (motor error) when push the walk button for a long time...I made a video if it can help...this is strange because before the update I never had problems regarding walk

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
I have red and blue lines (motor error) when push the walk button for a long time...I made a video if it can help...this is strange because before the update I never had problems regarding walk

@eagerly it is likely that the bike has detected a speed sensor issue, this typically happens if you are in the lowest of gears and you have a fair amount of resistance on the bike or the back brake slightly on as you walk. Essentially the motor believes that the wheel should be turning but doesn't see it turning fast enough and believes there is a speed-sensor magnet missing or similar. We didn't expect any changes to Speed-sensor measurement but it could be that a small adjustment in the firmware for measuring speed sensor rotation drove this, will investigate - it could be similar to the issues raised above by @lumpy or @beutelfuchs .

Please note (not necessarily writing just to you but to anyone else that may read this) - if you have speed-limit altering device fitted that works by artificially reducing the speed-sensor signal then this may also be the underlying cause.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
@eagerly it is likely that the bike has detected a speed sensor issue, this typically happens if you are in the lowest of gears and you have a fair amount of resistance on the bike or the back brake slightly on as you walk. Essentially the motor believes that the wheel should be turning but doesn't see it turning fast enough and believes there is a speed-sensor magnet missing or similar. We didn't expect any changes to Speed-sensor measurement but it could be that a small adjustment in the firmware for measuring speed sensor rotation drove this, will investigate - it could be similar to the issues raised above by @lumpy or @beutelfuchs .

Please note (not necessarily writing just to you but to anyone else that may read this) - if you have speed-limit altering device fitted that works by artificially reducing the speed-sensor signal then this may also be the underlying cause.

Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply. If I may clarify something on my case: I have no speed alteration. The problem happens also with the bike on the stand, therefore with no resistance at all. What I have noticed is that after switching the power on and pressing the walk, I have to wait some time with very slow rotational speed until the walk engages. After that, at every press of the walk button the system is more ready to respond. Sometimes, the walk does not engage at all, I wait and wait until the error happens (error motor, from the Specialized manual). P.S. it happens also in the middle gears.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks a lot for your prompt and detailed reply. If I may clarify something on my case: I have no speed alteration. The problem happens also with the bike on the stand, therefore with no resistance at all. What I have noticed is that after switching the power on and pressing the walk, I have to wait some time with very slow rotational speed until the walk engages. After that, at every press of the walk button the system is more ready to respond. Sometimes, the walk does not engage at all, I wait and wait until the error happens (error motor, from the Specialized manual). P.S. it happens also in the middle gears.

Understood and thanks for the feedback. Would be interested whether this is the experience for others also and will track this with our quality engineers who partner with Brose.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
@Specialized Rider Care
Free from my LBS, 2020 Levo bought from them last Sep. I've done 4200km on the bike/original motor on mixed hilly terrain, with a half hour road ride each way. Always with mechanical sympathy and limited use of Turbo. No issues beyond those of my own making. There, that's jinxed it.
l have had the error code once since update, on my first short ride, switch off/on sorted it.
Out today, 50km/3hrs, no problem. Walk assist does start off low in power then after maybe 10 secs (subjective, didn't time it), it perks up.

ManuelV

Aug 4, 2020
Madrid
Understood and thanks for the feedback. Would be interested whether this is the experience for others also and will track this with our quality engineers who partner with Brose.
I experience more or less the same, except that in my case the process does not necessarily finish with the red and blue lines. As I said in another post in this same thread, if you wait long enough while pushing the walk assit button (around 10-15 seconds) the engine seems to wake up suddenly and recovers the good old times power lost at the beginning.

As for the red and blue lines, I've seen them a couple of times but they go away after a restart.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I've had the red/blue light using walk mode before (pre firmware). After reset it is fine.

I believe as others have said it's down to having the wrong gear selected to go uphill and trying to use Walk Mode. I'd have it in the top gear.

Coburn

Aug 18, 2019
Somerset
Hi, I have a 2019 kenevo purchased november 2018 i am on my 3rd motor and warranty runs out in a couple of months. This news is great for 2nd gen motor owners but what about Gen 1 motors? I fully expect to have another motor failure this winter then i will have a huge bill to replace the motor out of warranty after only 2 and a bit years.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could offer some sort of part exchange scheme anything that offers some value on a used Kenevo.

Longbiker

Sep 23, 2019
Dortmund, Germany
@Specialized Rider Care :
Same issue today with Blue and red Lights after the Firmware update. It Happens on a parking lot with cadence more than 70 rpm. No use of the walk mode. Had this issue never before.
It has something to do with the update, all other software is on the latest version.

timmers

I went on a longish ride this morning, nothing difficult, mostly on fire roads with some occasional single track. Power delivery does not seem different than before the firmware update was done about a week ago. Battery drain wasn't any different either, but I don't have any scientific equipment to determine either power delivery or battery consumption - just a seat of the pants feeling. I found a location where I could hop off the bike, and use the walk propulsion utility. Similar to another commenter, I noted the lack of initial propulsion, quite weak in fact; after about 5 seconds, I felt a small power surge propel the bike forward, and then this strengthening power delivery was amazing. It easily pulled my bike up and over the top of the hill I was using for my experiment. I'll mention that I had the bicycle in one of the larger sprocket gears. My experience with the bicycle has been great, both prior to and after this firmware update. The longer warranty period confirms my belief that I've made a good purchase (I've owned this Levo for about a month now) - come what may.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi, I have a 2019 kenevo purchased november 2018 i am on my 3rd motor and warranty runs out in a couple of months. This news is great for 2nd gen motor owners but what about Gen 1 motors? I fully expect to have another motor failure this winter then i will have a huge bill to replace the motor out of warranty after only 2 and a bit years.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could offer some sort of part exchange scheme anything that offers some value on a used Kenevo.
Which is why I have been trying to communicate with @Specialized Rider Care as myself a number of my friends have gone through the same experience as you with the 1.2 and 1.3 motors but unfortunately it appears my questions or suggestions are only getting ‘selective’ responses.

Specialized have done the ‘right thing‘ with the 2.1 motors.
How about doing something similar for the 1.2 and 1.3 motors?
It does not have to be the same as the 2.1 motors but something a lot less than a £500 plus bill would be a much more acceptable pill to swallow especially if the motor was, on inspection, due to a design fault and NOT rider abuse.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Which is why I have been trying to communicate with @Specialized Rider Care as myself a number of my friends have gone through the same experience as you with the 1.2 and 1.3 motors but unfortunately it appears my questions or suggestions are only getting ‘selective’ responses.

Specialized have done the ‘right thing‘ with the 2.1 motors.
How about doing something similar for the 1.2 and 1.3 motors?
It does not have to be the same as the 2.1 motors but something a lot less than a £500 plus bill would be a much more acceptable pill to swallow especially if the motor was, on inspection, due to a design fault and NOT rider abuse.
Yes reasonable suggestions & hopefully they're on the way. I'd be happy with a water sealing solution.

Acc

Jun 15, 2020
America
Last time I looked there were 7 pages with 208 post. Now there are 6 pages with 174 post not counting this one. What happened to the other 30 + post Rob?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think as I was warned with earlier in the thread. As it's a Q&A sticky thread about a particular subject, none relevant clutter will be removed to keep the thread relevant so it's easier to read and stays on subject. Not everyone wants to read about someone's views on how good or bad American drivers are as it has nothing to do with 2019 2020 2.1 motors.

The more a thread is padded with none pertinent posts, the more likely that people just skip to the end without reading it and ask the same questions which have been asked 10 times already.

There's plenty of other threads where we can still talk rubbish though ??

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
More information to help those who are asking: just had a motor replaced this week under warranty that developed sounds typical of a belt that is about to go, and the torque sensor was not working correctly with multiple surges of 100% assist throughout every ride, had about 1050 miles with frequent very steep sustained climbs in turbo with sections steep enough that crank cadence bogged down but could still power through and regain cadence, which is probably the cause of the failure. As an aside, I'm now going to stop and get off to avoid bogging down in the future to help the motor last.
Replacement motor was built 6/19/20 so it is a new motor with the improvements. I am happy to report that it is quieter than the first motor significantly quieter, seems to have just as much power, and I don't really notice any drop off in the assist on very steep sections compared to initial motor.
This motor does have all of the latest updates to the motor/display/battery. I am really quite happy with this improvement. Walk assist mode does not engage immediately but does so after about 10 seconds. I'm sure Specialized will sort this out. I am usually able to push the bike up just about anything and don't use walk mode much anyway so it doesn't bother me.
Mainly wanted to get it out there that I did not see any drop off in power assist with the updates, however this is not a 2019 motor.
I don't remember earlier in this thread if @Specialized Rider Care stated that all 2021 bikes that are being sold have the motor improvements even if they were built in 2019? That seems to be the relevant question at this point. Anyone remember?

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
More information to help those who are asking: just had a motor replaced this week under warranty that developed sounds typical of a belt that is about to go, and the torque sensor was not working correctly with multiple surges of 100% assist throughout every ride, had about 1050 miles with frequent very steep sustained climbs in turbo with sections steep enough that crank cadence bogged down but could still power through and regain cadence, which is probably the cause of the failure. As an aside, I'm now going to stop and get off to avoid bogging down in the future to help the motor last.

Jeff, what were the “sounds typical of a belt that’s about to fail”?

Thanks

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Watch the first video here:

Edit: That's the "later stage", that belt is ready to go. This is earlier stage, this sound lasted for months before my belt failed:

DreamensioN

Aug 9, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hi all - I've been following this thread as a public lurker/guest, but I now registered just to add this bit of information.

Yesterday I picked up my MY2021 Turbo Levo Comp, and I checked the motors serial number last night. It's made in Feb 2020. So for everyone who has a Levo on order, but is worried about getting an older motor - you *may* not get the older motor and will get a 2020 one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles