Warranties on second hand bikes?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
read carefully

This warranty is available only to the original purchasers of products who complete the online registration form for the bicycle or frame within 30 days

you have to be the original purchaser AND complete the registration form within 30 days of purchase.

In reality I suspect they'd honour the warranty if you were the original purchaser and hadnt filled in the online registration. but I suspect they wouldnt honour the warranty if you werent the original purchaser but had still filled in the online registration form in within 30 days.

Yep, I think you’ve misread what I posted ?, I’m reinforcing the point.

That warranty also has to link to the shop you bought from also, like if you directly buy the bike from Orbea they actually allocate a nearest lbs which ends up being the place your buying from in the end.

I do think they probably would allow retrospective registration also but the point is some people think it’s better to not register a bike so they can transfer it over to the next owner (making it an easier sell) when in actual fact the warranty can only ever exist for the first owner and theres the risk of it not being covered if he doesn't register within the window.

So the only hope is the first time owner isn’t a duckhead and would entertain hassle later on (if it comes), it would be worth getting an agreement down in writing if it’s an expensive bike ideally, let’s say the frame cracks then there’s an incentive for him to help out.

So that then means if you’re the second owner looking to sell then there’s now a chain to get back to the first owner, I guess you have to accept if a frame cracks then you’ll have to strip her down and start to sell her body parts etc

I still don’t like Orbea and their ‘jump through hoops’ due diligence, there actively filtering out second hand owners! I feel sorry for those trying to sell Rises atm with the impending crank issues, even the ‘fixed’ aluminium ones are dropping off and actually I’m kind of reconsidering buying a 21 to maybe look at the 22 and also because of the non transfer warranty

There should be a small return window or a sensible avenue for first time sellers; there’s loads of guys selling £7k rises atm, ridden 3 times kind of thing, can’t return, can’t sell quickly....only the feckless would pay £6k for one, cash upfront and not be covered but hey they exist right? (Or we would all be screwed!)

Anyone got a Forestal (with a Bosch motor?) yet? Damn you Bafang damn you!!!

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
That warranty also has to link to the shop you bought from also

Have you got a link to the bit of the warranty that mentions this , as I dont think its correct , I think you can take the bike to any orbea dealer for warranty work on the frame etc.

I know that it doesnt need to be the original dealer for warrnty work relating to the motor/battery certainly- because my motor was replaced by a different shop that wasnt even an orbea dealer.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Have you got a link to the bit of the warranty that mentions this , as I dont think its correct , I think you can take the bike to any orbea dealer for warranty work on the frame etc.

I know that it doesnt need to be the original dealer for warrnty work relating to the motor/battery certainly- because my motor was replaced by a different shop that wasnt even an orbea dealer.
Just what I was told by two lbs pretty much but I’m sure you can use like you say any Orbea dealer shop to assist.

One owner said to me he would have to supply details like copy of email and registered email on file to process a claim.

Basically there’s a guy not far from me selling an XL 625w wild for £3500 and it would make sense for me to sell my L 500w for like £2.7-3k perhaps and buy his, but the warranty crap puts me off and the fact he hasnt sold it in over 3 months, guess people just get interest free and buy new

MadMunky

Jun 15, 2021
Hampshire
Go this back from Haibike which is expected but disappointing

Morning Chris
Unfortunately, the warranty is only valid for the original purchaser and is not transferable or extendable.
Regards
Haibike

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Some confusion about warranties. Not every warranty is provided by the brand. If you buy a second hand bike from a store, under EU rules, you have warranty (2 years or only 1 year if agreed ). In some cases you can have original warranty from brand or not, depends on terms/brand terms , etc. Particular deals are not covered by warranty , only have some legal protection if detected some hidden non-conformity, fraud or similar .

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
None of what you're worried about is valid in Oz, so I don't know why you'd worry, except to provide emotional support to our more northern brothers and sisters....

In Oz, even limiting warranty to a time frame (like 12 months) may not be valid. You definitely don't need to register, have the original receipt (you need proof of original purchase) or worry about transfer.

Gordon

I guess there is a big difference between fighting for a legal right vs being able to wander into the friendly lbs and have them say " no worries, leave it with us and we'll sort this out".

I can see the conversation now..." You know that bike you bought me? Do you feel like going to court and doing your lawyer thing to get me a new motor?"

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I guess there is a big difference between fighting for a legal right vs being able to wander into the friendly lbs and have them say " no worries, leave it with us and we'll sort this out".

I can see the conversation now..." You know that bike you bought me? Do you feel like going to court and doing your lawyer thing to get me a new motor?"

so unless a bike is ‘leased’ and the original owner claims ownership still then it’s just going to end up In tears pretty much....

‘what bike mate?’.......as you see that horrifying response from that really cool guy who even offered you a free cup cake or maybe a cool beer as part of the amazingly good will sale.

so basically there isn’t a bike that exists from a manufacturer who is willing to back up their bikes basically unless it’s a levo.....they must prey we all sell second hand to reduce the defective returns (being in various Orbea wild forums isn’t pretty viewing at times)

I’d love to have manufacturers read our views, I’d be saying

‘hey assholes, specialized have the most unreliable bikes of all, but guess what, everybody still wants them......’

then I would walk to the white board and write:

TRANSFERABLE WARRANTY!

Then I would execute a ‘chalk drop’ and leave the room....?

ps does anyone know of a levo that doesn’t have a motor issue I genuinely don’t know?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I've only met two Spesh owners out and about - both bikes were less than 18 months old.

Owner 1 was on his 4th motor and Owner 2 was on his 3rd...

They both praised how quickly it was resolved but both also indicated, they could have done without the issue in the first place...

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I've only met two Spesh owners out and about - both bikes were less than 18 months old.

Owner 1 was on his 4th motor and Owner 2 was on his 3rd...

They both praised how quickly it was resolved but both also indicated, they could have done without the issue in the first place...
Yet this sad affair is still more enticing than buying other brands that don’t transfer warranty or is it pure coincidence

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yet this sad affair is still more enticing than buying other brands that don’t transfer warranty or is it pure coincidence

Also - be aware that the warranty from orbea covers the frame, and other bits manufactured by orbea, it doesnt cover the motor and battery which is covered by a separate warranty from the motor manufacturer, or things like the brakes, fork, shock etc which are all covered by warranties from the relevant manufacturer.

I really dont care about a transferable warranty - It'd be nice if the bike had one, but it wouldnt trump many other aspects, and I wouldnt pay significantly more for one.

I'll keep the bike for at least two years, by that point the warranty on the motor and battery (the things most likely to need warranty) will have run out , as will the warranty on the fork, shock, brakes etc, so a transferable warranty is irrelevent for me. I guess if you swap bikes every 3 months then a transferable warranty would be nice to have - shoulda bought a specialized!

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Also - be aware that the warranty from orbea covers the frame, and other bits manufactured by orbea, it doesnt cover the motor and battery which is covered by a separate warranty from the motor manufacturer, or things like the brakes, fork, shock etc which are all covered by warranties from the relevant manufacturer.

I really dont care about a transferable warranty - It'd be nice if the bike had one, but it wouldnt trump many other aspects, and I wouldnt pay significantly more for one.

I'll keep the bike for at least two years, by that point the warranty on the motor and battery (the things most likely to need warranty) will have run out , as will the warranty on the fork, shock, brakes etc, so a transferable warranty is irrelevent for me. I guess if you swap bikes every 3 months then a transferable warranty would be nice to have - shoulda bought a specialized!

Thats true, the levos are super expensive so maybe unfair to expect the same level of cover when comparing to some brands but fact remains if you bought a second hand levo for more money, your likely to get most your cash back and sell it swiftly later because of the transferable warranty...it could be more cost effective to pay more to save later is the impression I’m getting.

ill look forward to the day I’m waiting months to sell until I have to give it away! Or more likely I’ll refuse to give it away and just end up with a spare ?.....wait a second, non transfer warranty is actually great I take it back now ?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

In Oz, this also doesn't fly. Warranty is between you and the seller (ie: the bike shop or on-line seller) for ALL components on the bike. You return to the seller. They deal with it. Warranties are very region specific. It'd be nice if there was some uniformity. But like access to trails, it's all over the shop....

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Generally the shops around here are pretty good. And I've had exactly that, where my LBS has pushed to have a frame replaced because they thought it was the right thing to do. I've also have above and beyond from an on-line seller (pushys.com.au - highly recommended for their backup service..) Build up a good relationship with your LBS and good things happen. I find most sellers are aware of their responsibilities in Oz, with a few exceptions. It tends to be the bigger corporations try to get away with stuff. Independent retailers are usually excellent.

Gordon

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Generally the shops around here are pretty good. And I've had exactly that, where my LBS has pushed to have a frame replaced because they thought it was the right thing to do. I've also have above and beyond from an on-line seller (pushys.com.au - highly recommended for their backup service..) Build up a good relationship with your LBS and good things happen. I find most sellers are aware of their responsibilities in Oz, with a few exceptions. It tends to be the bigger corporations try to get away with stuff. Independent retailers are usually excellent.

Gordon

I agree re the shops - my local giant dealer went above and beyond with the multiple electrical gremlins on my 2018 bike. AND he still smiles when I walk through the door! Part of my reason for knowing giant warranty is non transferable is he offered me an exceptional deal on a 2019 trance but pre covid my giant was almost worthless - nobody wanted to risk buying a 1 yo emtb without warranty. So I stuck with the 2018 bike, got the motor replaced in my last weeks of warranty, and spent the next year waiting for a chance to rude a kevo sl.

Nice to hear pushys offer good support, I have a mate who really should be considering a yt but it's hus first emtb and I was wondering if he'd be better buying something local. The fine print from another online retailer includes buyers are responsible for postage on warranty claims - so for example the frame they sent me with bb threads filled with paint would have required me paying postage if I wanted a refund ( the local dealer lent me his threading tool, but I would have preferred a refund ) .

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Thats true, the levos are super expensive so maybe unfair to expect the same level of cover when comparing to some brands but fact remains if you bought a second hand levo for more money, your likely to get most your cash back and sell it swiftly later because of the transferable warranty...it could be more cost effective to pay more to save later is the impression I’m getting.

ill look forward to the day I’m waiting months to sell until I have to give it away! Or more likely I’ll refuse to give it away and just end up with a spare ?.....wait a second, non transfer warranty is actually great I take it back now ?

All jokes aside, I have 2 mates wanting to buy my 2018 giant for more than I could have sold it in 2019. I'm nervous about selling it to a mate - even though I know it's mechanically perfect, the prospect of having the magic smoke escape when we are out riding together has me considering keeping it as a spare.

Ps re your previous levo comments - even they don't fully transfer support. My second hand levo sl will only have another years frame / wheel cover - and I'm pretty sure the frame isn't covered because the seller didn't buy me beer :( He is probably sitting at the top of a mountain right now enjoying his kenevo sl and trying to get drunk enough to forget how much us invested in bike happiness.

• Haha
Reactions: CjP

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I love bikes i can ride.
If i trust, i buy if the fit and price are good.
If i do not trust the reliability, i do not buy.
I will not be an happy rider if i get a free replacement.
I want stuff to work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles