Levo Gen 2 Upgrade to XTR Brakes - Advise on good non Centerlock Discs

AlexV.

May 13, 2020
Zurich
Hey Guys,

I recently got my Turbo Levo 2020 and I love it. What I don't really like are the crappy brakes. I had Magura MT5 and Shimano XT on my previous bikes and I liked them so much better.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to SHIMANO XTR BR-M9120.

First of all, I only heard good things about them, easy to setup and maintain. But most important very consistent. What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately Centerlock Discs are not an option (I don't want to change the wheels, etc.) - Which discs can you recommend?

I rode the Swissstop Catalyst Catalyst Disc Rotor | SwissStop and the Trickstuff Dächle Heavy-Duty (HD) on my other bikes.

Are they also good options for the XTR on an E-Bike?

One more question - the Adapter mount is 160mm to 203mm, correct?

Thanks a lot thoughts!

Br Alex

Edit: I live in Switzerland and there are some long descends - therefore I really need something reliable.

Last edited:

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Hey Guys,

I recently got my Turbo Levo 2020 and I love it. What I don't really like are the crappy brakes. I had Magura MT5 and Shimano XT on my previous bikes and I liked them so much better.

Now I'm thinking of upgrading to SHIMANO XTR BR-M9120.

First of all, I only heard good things about them, easy to setup and maintain. But most important very consistent. What are your thoughts?

Unfortunately Centerlock Discs are not an option (I don't want to change the wheels, etc.) - Which discs can you recommend?

I rode the Swissstop Catalyst Catalyst Disc Rotor | SwissStop and the Trickstuff Dächle Heavy-Duty (HD) on my other bikes.

Are they also good options for the XTR on an E-Bike?

One more question - the Adapter mount is 160mm to 203mm, correct?

Thanks a lot thoughts!

Br Alex

Edit: I live in Switzerland and there are some long descends - therefore I really need something reliable.

Just use the disk that are already on the bike ..... no need to change them ... they should be good to go .

The dimensions should be the same as sram... using the sram hardware ... Bolts and washers and even adaptors or maybe a 1mm out.

but if a sram calliper can fit on a pike without and adaptor and use a 180m rotor. and a Shimano can do the same, then the adaptors with the given aligning bolts and washers should work fine on a 200mm instead of having to get a 203mm ...

If anyone has any other information regarding this please speak up as I think a lot of people don't agree with the sram brakes on the lower Levo models... including myself. (Upgrading to the XT 4pot)

AlexV.

May 13, 2020
Zurich
Just use the disk that are already on the bike ..... no need to change them ... they should be good to go .

The dimensions should be the same as sram... using the sram hardware ... Bolts and washers and even adaptors or maybe a 1mm out.

but if a sram calliper can fit on a pike without and adaptor and use a 180m rotor. and a Shimano can do the same, then the adaptors with the given aligning bolts and washers should work fine on a 200mm instead of having to get a 203mm ...

If anyone has any other information regarding this please speak up as I think a lot of people don't agree with the sram brakes on the lower Levo models... including myself. (Upgrading to the XT 4pot)
I was actually exactly thinking that I might just continue to use the SRAM rotors.

However I will have to check first if can use the existing adapters from the SRAM Callipers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I really dont think what disc you use as long as its from a decent brand matters - the brake and pad combo is what counts IMO.

The most important thing for me with a disc is strength, and something that won't warp.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles