Upgradability of the motors

Drmaestro

Jun 16, 2019
Turkey
Hi,

I know it might sound silly to ask a question about the unknown future but I’d like to ask your opinions on the possibility of upgrading a motor. Nowadays the e-bikes are being designed with the motor (especially for the mid drive units) and the battery in mind, which have specific form-factors and emplacements. So, what will happen when a new motor is designed? Will it be possible to replace the old motor with a new one? If I am not mistaken, it should be possible to interchange an E7000 with E8000. What about replacing a Shimano with a Bosch or Brose or vice-versa. Or are we being locked in a specific eco system?

Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi Dr. M.

You are correct the e8000 and e7000 are interchangable.

As far as I know it's not possible to swap motors between makes as the mountings are different, the connections are different, the battery management systems are different.

In a few years things might start evening out and there could be "standards" in place, but at the moment the technology is too new and everyone is trying their own thing depending on what they think will work best.

Future upgrades of same brand maybe possible. For instance if an E9000 comes out, it might use the same mountings, but then it might run at a different voltage so you'd need to change the battery and most likely the cabling as they would change these to stop incompatible systems being used together by accident ..

So in effect, you are being locked in, but mainly because at the moment, everyone thinks their way is best.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I was talking to a designer a few weeks ago and he was really wishing that a standard form-factor would ben agreed on but not too hopeful. His thought was that they could have a 'standard' frame design and have different motors, much as they currently have different componentry as they go up the spec ladder. Besides the motor form-factor the other real problem is the battery form-factor.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Shimano seems the only hope for upgradeable motors, the new bosch and the old bosch are totally different.

Still, it's early days yet, maybe when the products mature, there will be more interchangeability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles