• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Unseating Tyres from rim

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’ve got Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres on my bike, my dad has smart sams.

Today we were out in the Cotswolds for a ride, and before we started dad discovered a thorn in his tyre (why he didn’t check before we left home I don’t know lol). Needless to say the tube needed replacing.

An hour later and a helpful local mechanic we’d managed to unset the tyre and put the new tube in etc, and get out on our ride.

I guess what I’m asking is whether anyone has some super tips for changing a tyre (well getting the damned thing off the rim) when away from home?

I’ve previously had a pinch flat on my bike but that was near home, where it was much easier to just walk it home and take my time sorting it (still wasn’t fun).

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If possible just break the bead on one side of the tyre and wiggle the tube in and out that side. But take your time and check for any remaining thorn tip s inside the tyre.
If necessary reinflate the tube and locate the damage relative to the valve then check the tyre in either of the 2 possible areas (assuming you can't remember which way round the tube was installed).
On a recent trip with a friend who still uses tubes rather than being tubeless, we ended up standing on the tyre to pop it off the rim on one side and then used a pair of tyre levers to loosen the remaining bead.

We used a slime filled tube so hopefully he won't have the issue again.

PXL_20211019_105218867.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have Nobby Nics and and wife has Smart Sams.
As Gary says you need to break bead and push into rim. One side will eventually give but it can take a while but don’t give up. Eventually you will see a bit of rim tape and concentrate on that area and hopefully one wall will start to pull into the rim.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I guess what I’m asking is whether anyone has some super tips for changing a tyre (well getting the damned thing off the rim)

Just choose a side and use your thumbs to push the sidewall into the center of the rim. Once you have a little section unseated, you can use a tire lever to expedite the rest of that side. Now flip the wheel and do the same to the other side.

With both beads of the tire in the center of the rim, hook two tire levers under the bead, several inches apart. Lever that bead to the outside of the rim. Now you're started. Sometimes the tire wants to pop back in, sometimes it doesn't. You'll have to figure out the rest.

Isn't there a Youtube video on how to change a bike tire? The bigger question is why you're running tubes in 2021.

Also, Schwalbe tires seem to be tighter on my Ibis rims than the Maxxis that I'm currently running.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"Just use your thumbs" is advice I have often seen. I have never been able to follow that advice with any success. I always carry a mini pump in my backpack, as I guess you must too. I position the wheel rim on a smooth rock or a tree stump, whatever I can find. If the surface will scratch the rim, then put one of your gloves underneath the rim.

Ensure the air is fully bled out, leave the valve open, if in doubt remove the valve core! Stabilise the wheel with your knees. Then hold the pump firmly in both hands and press down on the tyre until the bead comes off the rim. Sometimes I have to put my shoulder to the butt of the pump to get extra force onto the tyre. You will not tear the tyre. You may have to try a few places or even the other side before you meet with success. Once you have a start, work your way around. Then follow the usual advice.

Some of the tyres I have had to remove have been so tough to do that I sure would not risk shaking hands with someone that could have done them with just their thumbs.

I have no difficulty fitting them, just removing them months later. I suspect that the latex sealant I use in my tubeless tyres glued the tyre to the rim!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I always carry a mini pump in my backpack, as I guess you must too. I position the wheel rim on a smooth rock or a tree stump, whatever I can find. If the surface will scratch the rim, then put one of your gloves underneath the rim.

Ensure the air is fully bled out, leave the valve open, if in doubt remove the valve core! Stabilise the wheel with your knees. Then hold the pump firmly in both hands and press down on the tyre until the bead comes off the rim. Sometimes I have to put my shoulder to the butt of the pump to get extra force onto the tyre. You will not tear the tyre. You may have to try a few places or even the other side before you meet with success. Once you have a start, work your way around. Then follow the usual advice.
Or just use your thumbs
:cool:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
If it’s really tight you can stand on the tyre near the bead to break it free, I have had a bead so tight that was the only way to break it from the rim. Once you ‘pop’ it, it will start to come away easily enough. But usually thumb strength should be enough.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Some of the tyres I have had to remove have been so tough to do that I sure would not risk shaking hands with someone that could have done them with just their thumbs.

Ha! That's funny. Back when covid came around and that ghetto-fist-bump became a thing, I had to learn to dial it back. Apparently there are some grown men who don't punch things for fun, and who can actually get hurt by overly enthusiastic greetings. Perhaps you're right. Using some kind of tool to provide pressure to the sidewall might not be as expedient, but might be easier for people without Kung Fu Grip.

gijoe_750.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Introduced by my father at an early age to a "manly handshake" I prided myself on having a firm handshake. But I was never aggressive about it. Then one of my mates introduced me to his father-in-law. He was about 6'6" (1.98m) and wide with it in a fit looking way. He was a farmer, so I thought I'd better get in first with my grip. Turned out he had arthritis in his hands and I nearly put him on his knees! :(
Thirty years later, I know now what it feels like and I have had to ask my son-in-law (super fit triathlete) to tone down his handshaking enthusiasm with me. :giggle:

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
Definitely going to look into tubeless option for my tyres at some point. Dad is having his done soon, as the tyre we removed turned out to have a 2 inch split by the bead during the removal process so that needs replacing anyway lol.

As for handshake thing and using your thumbs I agree, maybe if you have the grip of Hafthor Julius Björnsson (Game of thrones’ The Mountain), I’ll find a way using my feet or tools lol.

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I've had major problems trying to get tyres to break away from the rim. I don't have the finger strength to do it, I've tried ratchet clamps to try and break the seal with limited success. I had a valve failure and had to ask my son to drive out to where I was and fit my spare tube and he could break the seal with his fingers. I am 60 years old and reasonably fit, but don't have the finger power to do it. Very frustrating for me.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Oth
Au contraire.
There are plenty
Care to expand. Other than the additional maintenance burden really haven't seen any disadvantages. Used to get a number of pinch flats as well as thorn flats. Haven't had one since going tubeless. Seen a few areas of goo that leaked that certainly would have resulted in flats. I would rather spend time at home doing some maintenance than changing tubes in the field.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Reduced sidewall support and stability
Reduced bead security
Burping
Increased mess
Increased trailside hassle when it fails
Need for airshot/co2
Not so great if you regularly change tyres to suit riding terrain/conditions.
Maintenance (ie. Sealant top ups and more frequent pressure top up/checks)

Pinch flats are 100% down to running too low pressure.

Tubeless with good sealant is awesome for thorn punctures.

How and where you ride plays a fairly big part in whether tubeless or tubes will work best for you.

I have bikes with tubeless and bikes with tubes BTW. So this isn't some blind hate for no real reason. Neither option is without its flaws

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles