Rail (625Wh) UDH hanger? Metal version ?

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
I have alloy version of the rail & im wondering if people are using a metal version of this hanger & would it work better in a crash?

As the sram version is made of part plastic & seen what it does to carbon frames!

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Bad idea.

The plastic UDH is meant to act as a fuse in the system, and in my experience works perfectly.

Making the hanger stronger than the frame, when it's meant to sacrifice itself for, is a bad idea.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
If anything, the current trek UDHs are too strong and doesn't break fast enough if frames are getting trashed.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The UDH hanger is held by a torqued centre section. A force ( invariably a hit to the front of the derailleur) strong e nough to overcome that torque enable the UDH to rotate about 60 degrees. Any further rotation should be prevented by a "stop" on the dropout. From the damage that has been reported here it is a failure by Trek to make a stop on the drop out strong enough to prevent the hanger rotating further than it is designed to do if hit from the front..............nothing to do with what material the main part ( other than the bolted centre) of the UDH is made of. It is questionable whether a UDH should be used on carbon chain stays in my opinion for that reason.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles