Tyrewiz with tubes possible?

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
Hello!
I hope you all have survived Christmas🙂
Since a few weeks I own a Trek Rail and surpringly for me it is delivered with Tyrewiz and tubeless.
Does anybody know if it is possible to use these also with a tube? In case of puntures i.e.? and because I used Schwalbe Aerothan before and I liked these very much…
I won‘t try it by myself, I won‘t destroy them
Thanks!

BF89ADBA-8C8B-4CA0-BADE-57C22F8C73E9.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You'd have to drill a tiny hole in each of your tubes valves replicating the one in the shockwiz valve for it to work.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you mean can you use tubes if you get a puncture sealant doesn't fix. Yes. simply remove the shockwiz and tubeless valve and replace with a normal presta valve tube

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. He wasn't talking about that version though.

personally I think they're a waste of time whether you use tubes or tubeless so would remove them straight away and sell them to some mug with more money than sense. ;)

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
If you mean can you use tubes if you get a puncture sealant doesn't fix. Yes. simply remove the shockwiz and tubeless valve and replace with a normal presta valve tube
In fact I wanted to ask if I can use these Tyrewiz in combination with a tube (remove the presta of the tube and put the Tyrewiz at it‘s place)

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
Yeah. He wasn't talking about that version though.

personally I think they're a waste of time whether you use tubes or tubeless so would remove them straight away and sell them to some mug with more money than sense. ;)
The best would be a solution with keeping the Tyrewiz 😃

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In fact I wanted to ask if I can use these Tyrewiz in combination with a tube (remove the presta of the tube and put the Tyrewiz at it‘s place)
No. I did already answer your question. But If you want to remove the tube's valve core and fit tyrewiz that way you'd need to purchase the original style stand alone tyrewiz.
The valves used with your version of tyrewiz have a small hole in the valve stem to allow the pressure to be read by the expensive little gadgets ;) . Therefore to get it to work with tubes you'd need to drill a small hole in the tubes valves. As I explained (perhaps not well enough). You'd also need to come up with an O-ring and lockring solution to seal the shockwiz from above and below to the tube's valve stem

this pic might help

F75R7811.jpg

Trust me. when your tubeless set up fails and you need to fit a tube to your sealant filled tyre the last thing you're going to want is the extra faff of trying to set-up the shockwiz to work with your tube and DIY drilled valve.

Last edited:

Bremsbacke

Nov 24, 2021
Germany
No. I did already answer your question. But If you want to remove the tube's valve core and fit tyrewiz that way you'd need to purchase the original style stand alone tyrewiz.
The valves used with your version of tyrewiz have a small hole in the valve stem to allow the pressure to be read by the expensive little gadgets ;) . Therefore to get it to work with tubes you'd need to drill a small hole in the tubes valves. As I explained (perhaps not well enough). You'd also need to come up with an O-ring and lockring solution to seal the shockwiz from above and below to the tube's valve stem

this pic might help

F75R7811.jpg

Trust me. when your tubeless set up fails and you need to fit a tube to your sealant filled tyre the last thing you're going to want is the extra faff of trying to set-up the shockwiz to work with your tube and DIY drilled valve.
Many thanks Gary, with the picture and after reading it slowly again (I‘m German 😬) now I understand. And I agree to you, it makes no sense to do DIY. The only thing I can do to remove it completely. I‘m thinking about this because I really have done excellent experience with the aerothan tubes. But I will wait how the Bontrager tyres behave and then if I change them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles