Tyre not spinning true

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Just replaced my front Minion DHF 2.6" with a Continental Der Baron Project 2.4". The tyre is setup tubeless. It runs untrue, shoots to the right by aprox. 2mm over 60-100 mm. Visible by naked eye, bloody annoying. The wheel rim is perfectly true.

First I thought that I didn't seat the bead correctly, but looking carefully at the guide just above the bead it looks OK on both sides.

Never had a tyre like that. Could it be that it is a lemon tyre bad from new, or it was folded for too long and the rubber just got out of shape?

Not keen on putting it at the rear (currently Bontrager Team Issue 4 there), too draggy for it.

Any tricks or remedy, or just have to live with it?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It is reasonably common - my acoustic bike has a wonky tyre. I've never perceived or heard of any negative impacts - other than the impact it has on our eyes of the marred beauty of our wonderful machines. Might be more meaningful on an ultra light road bike with 25mm tyres?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Thanks for all the replies and reassurances...I haven't pumped it up to max pressure so will try that and I will check the rim-tape as well.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Just replaced my front Minion DHF 2.6" with a Continental Der Baron Project 2.4". The tyre is setup tubeless. It runs untrue, shoots to the right by aprox. 2mm over 60-100 mm. Visible by naked eye, bloody annoying. The wheel rim is perfectly true.

First I thought that I didn't seat the bead correctly, but looking carefully at the guide just above the bead it looks OK on both sides.

Never had a tyre like that. Could it be that it is a lemon tyre bad from new, or it was folded for too long and the rubber just got out of shape?

Not keen on putting it at the rear (currently Bontrager Team Issue 4 there), too draggy for it.

Any tricks or remedy, or just have to live with it?
I had the same problem …if you have a reciept contact Maxxis and they will replace it …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles