Two minds - Canyon Spectral:ON

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Setting aside the delivering bike to customers debacle, the Canyon is a newer generation bike than the Levo - i.e the Levo is now a dated design compared to most top end e-bikes in terms of spec and geometry, still a very good bike with good looks, but no longer at the forefront in comparison to what else you can get.

I would only cancel the canyon if you are willing to wait for the 2019 Levo or whatever new emtb Specialized may bring out, which will deftly be a lot more money, and maybe be a big jump forward

Thanks mate. It would be the new 2019 Levo but at my price point it would be a low end model with inferior spec. I get it might be a jump with battery and lower weight but do you go for that over a better spec fork, wheels and brakes etc. Seems the Brose is a cracking motor but the Shimano I tried felt great to me. The amount of warranty jobs for water in the motor and cables is worrying on the Spesh but suppose there’s a hell of a lot of them out there. I’ve tried reading up on integrated batteries and issues with them being in the firing line for water and crap as they’re under the down tube but can’t find much.

Obviously majorly overthinking it all now. Really wish the Canyon would turn up early and then forget the Levo.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Just to throw spanner in the works have you checked out the mondraker ebikes ?

Well that doesn’t help at all. ? They look good but again pricey and not fussed on Bosch motors really. Apparently they’re needing an update to catch up with Shimano and Brose.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Well that doesn’t help at all. ? They look good but again pricey and not fussed on Bosch motors really. Apparently they’re needing an update to catch up with Shimano and Brose.
They also do a shimano called the crusher I think it's a bit marmite

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The 2019 Vitus bike could be a serious contender in the cheap but well-specced stakes. Released soon apparently.

Dusty

Jul 14, 2018
Liverpool
Oh and the commencal
The 2019 Vitus bike could be a serious contender in the cheap but well-specced stakes. Released soon apparently.
Didn't know it had been announced any links?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales

The 2018 model was tempting but it wasn’t priced close enough to the Canyon to make me decide on the Canyon. Close call though. Any release date known?

gelfy666

Aug 17, 2018
Telford
now ive discovered that i can get a Maxx full sus in any colour i like, im even more confused on what brand to get?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I stick with km on strava etc anyway. Figures look more impressive.

Is it a particularly low bb on this bike then? Good for descending. The XT cranks you've arent cheap mind. Dropper decent?
Dropper lever is awful, actually hurts my wrist to operate. Ive tried rotating it around the bar to see if its any better and it isn't. I think I will definetly be getting the E7000 switches and the southpaw lever when they are available.

The actual dropper seems okay. plenty of drop 150mm on mine, no wiggle

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Dropper lever is awful, actually hurts my wrist to operate. Ive tried rotating it around the bar to see if its any better and it isn't. I think I will definetly be getting the E7000 switches and the southpaw lever when they are available.

The actual dropper seems okay. plenty of drop 150mm on mine, no wiggle

That’s exactly what all the reviews say. Rubbish lever but good decent dropper. I’ve got an E6000 switch and wolftooth lever ready to go on. You get the third button as well then so you can toggle through speed etc on the display.

Used it again today?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run a Wolftooth with the e6000 controller on my Vitus - you need to be careful how you set it up as the Wolftooth sits quite close to the handlebars, more so than most levers, and can hit the cable out the back of the e6000 controller - you just need to make sure that when you install it that you play with the angles the wolftooth and the e6000 sit at.

Great lever though, i have the longer version.

IMG_1552.jpg

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
I run a Wolftooth with the e6000 controller on my Vitus - you need to be careful how you set it up as the Wolftooth sits quite close to the handlebars, more so than most levers, and can hit the cable out the back of the e6000 controller - you just need to make sure that when you install it that you play with the angles the wolftooth and the e6000 sit at.

Great lever though, i have the longer version.

View attachment 4682

Thanks for the tips. I’ll be mounting it to the Zee brakes when my bike arrives so I’m hoping there’s enough clearance. I’ve had the lever a while. The longer version was released about a week after I bought mine. Dammit.

A mate has done it with a one up lever and that’s close but it misses.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the one up lever on my hardtail, prefer the Woolftooth, both have good actions, but the lever placement not he WT feels better to me

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Little video of me testing out the bike along with the WG2 gimbal, not a bad attempt for the first time with a gimbal. need to work on the audio with the breathing and possibly the gopro settings (superview?)
GoPro's don't half make things look mellow

P.S. I think its still processing, it should be 4k

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
That’s exactly what all the reviews say. Rubbish lever but good decent dropper. I’ve got an E6000 switch and wolftooth lever ready to go on. You get the third button as well then so you can toggle through speed etc on the display.

Used it again today?
Nope, not today, I was at party last night and my muscles are still recovering from a 6 hr ride yesterday.

Hoping to get out on a local ride tomorrow, I will have a play about the gimbal and GoPro settings then. There a few jumps there too to test the bike / myself :)

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Little video of me testing out the bike along with the WG2 gimbal, not a bad attempt for the first time with a gimbal. need to work on the audio with the breathing and possibly the gopro settings (superview?)
GoPro's don't half make things look mellow

P.S. I think its still processing, it should be 4k

That was brilliant. Cracking climb. What trail is that? Good rocky stuff. Can tell from the breathing though the ebikes don’t do all the work. Power wheelies great.

Yeah GoPro’s level everything. Especially on a gimbal.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
That was brilliant. Cracking climb. What trail is that? Good rocky stuff. Can tell from the breathing though the ebikes don’t do all the work. Power wheelies great.

Yeah GoPro’s level everything. Especially on a gimbal.
Yeah Gisburn is really good for the ebikes. It has a bit of everything there. Unfortunately my GoPro died long before all of the fast flowy trails. The uphill trails in this were Rocky Road and Homebaked. It was so much fun and those trails are normally hell for me

Yeah there is still some effort required on the technical stuff it's all about bursts of power and shifting your body to get the grip.

On the fire roads you can quite easily let the motor do the work if you want. Although it does burn through the battery

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Thanks mate. It would be the new 2019 Levo but at my price point it would be a low end model with inferior spec. I get it might be a jump with battery and lower weight but do you go for that over a better spec fork, wheels and brakes etc. Seems the Brose is a cracking motor but the Shimano I tried felt great to me. The amount of warranty jobs for water in the motor and cables is worrying on the Spesh but suppose there’s a hell of a lot of them out there. I’ve tried reading up on integrated batteries and issues with them being in the firing line for water and crap as they’re under the down tube but can’t find much.

Obviously majorly overthinking it all now. Really wish the Canyon would turn up early and then forget the Levo.

step away from the internet for a couple of weeks lol, when’s your delivery date ?

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
? I know I’m doing my own head in. Can’t switch off. WC 24.09.

You get out on yours today after?

yep did another 20 miles, only disused railway lines, tow paths and a bit of tarmac, must have done 60 miles + in total so far over 3 rides and the battery has only dropped 1 bar, i suppose i’m being economical with the motor shitting it off when not needed rather than burning through boost, just trying to find my limitations, plenty of switchback rooty climbing up the embankments and just ploughs through steep loose descents with ease, not sure if it’s bigger wheels, heavier bike or both but it’s a lot more confidence inspiring than a normal bike

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
yep did another 20 miles, only disused railway lines, tow paths and a bit of tarmac, must have done 60 miles + in total so far over 3 rides and the battery has only dropped 1 bar, i suppose i’m being economical with the motor shitting it off when not needed rather than burning through boost, just trying to find my limitations, plenty of switchback rooty climbing up the embankments and just ploughs through steep loose descents with ease, not sure if it’s bigger wheels, heavier bike or both but it’s a lot more confidence inspiring than a normal bike

Cool. Pedals well with the motor off then? Ive read that the extra weight makes the ebikes handle well. Can't wait to try one properly on a decent trail. I'll be off to Brechfa as soon as it arrives. Few good climbs and descents. Start with the Gorlech. Maybe Raven as well if the battery lasts like your saying.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Cool. Pedals well with the motor off then? Ive read that the extra weight makes the ebikes handle well. Can't wait to try one properly on a decent trail. I'll be off to Brechfa as soon as it arrives. Few good climbs and descents. Start with the Gorlech. Maybe Raven as well if the battery lasts like your saying.

i’m not saying it’s going to last like that mate, id rather blast everywhere in boost if im being honest in fact i’m hoping santa brings me a spare battery for the backpack so i can boost all the way but at the mo i’m being very economical with the e part of the emtb.
If you keep it rolling and smooth then yeah it pedals well and eats up the miles with the motor off but you can definitely feel the weight and if you lose a bit of flow you have to grind to get it going again, that’s where you start cursing and wish you had left the motor on.

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
i’m not saying it’s going to last like that mate, id rather blast everywhere in boost if im being honest in fact i’m hoping santa brings me a spare battery for the backpack so i can boost all the way but at the mo i’m being very economical with the e part of the emtb.
If you keep it rolling and smooth then yeah it pedals well and eats up the miles with the motor off but you can definitely feel the weight and if you lose a bit of flow you have to grind to get it going again, that’s where you start cursing and wish you had left the motor on.

Spare battery would be great. Is Spesh release a 700wh then surely Shimano will follow soon. Keep the 500 then as the spare. Suggesting to the wife another £500 for a spare battery after getting £4000 is almost suicidal right now though. £7000 on these new Levo's is mental stuff to me.

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Spare battery would be great. Is Spesh release a 700wh then surely Shimano will follow soon. Keep the 500 then as the spare. Suggesting to the wife another £500 for a spare battery after getting £4000 is almost suicidal right now though. £7000 on these new Levo's is mental stuff to me.

i think 2 x 500 watt would be more than enough anyway. Are 700 watt ones backward compatible ?

rmh1009

Aug 17, 2018
West Wales
Had an email from Canyon just now to say they’ve taken payment and it’s showing on my card statement. Says they take the payment 2 weeks prior to shipping. Original shipping date was WC 24.09 so it could be shipped a few days early. ?

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
Had an email from Canyon just now to say they’ve taken payment and it’s showing on my card statement. Says they take the payment 2 weeks prior to shipping. Original shipping date was WC 24.09 so it could be shipped a few days early. ?

very nice mate, just keep your eyes open as the day after i had the payment taken email they shipped it ??

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Fingers crossed. I took mine out last night to some local trails. Brilliant fun great over the jumps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles