Turbo Levo with no power assist

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Mine sits like that too, and have had a couple of issues with connection. Will ask lbs to take a look when it goes in for 6wk service.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
my Friends one was damaged when he removed plug while battery was turned on. the shop replaced the plug and wire. you could replace it. about o ring seal, LBS told me smear some dielectric grease over the orange around the plug. but I've never washed mine with a hose. I use a damp cloth then wipe off, but might only ever have got caught in rain once while riding and was only light.. does not rain a lot here.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
This is how mine is:
IMG_20180822_074910.jpg
IMG_20180822_074906.jpg

Surge

Aug 20, 2018
Toronto
Thanks, helpful. Mine looks similar. It makes good contact... odd that the shape, especially the left edge is not more flush with the body.

nictom

Jul 4, 2018
Sweden
Hi, I have had the same issue. The broblem seems to be behind the cover. There is a cable holder and depending on how much cable you have between the cable holder and the battery the contact can be flush or like in your and mine case as on the picture.

Solution is tho adjust the cable length by so you got the proper length.

If it’s to long the Bluetooth cable can get damaged and give power cuts.

So be careful while adjusting the length because the cable holder is sharp and easily cuts into the cable.

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Cheers Donnie, doesn't look too different to mine. Will have a look at their stock bikes when I take it in. Once I just thought I was knackered after a long day at work. Did a few miles before I thought to check walk mode :unsure:

Aug 28, 2018
Orange County, CA
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I posted very similar problems with my 2017 levo. I have motor power problems when I remove the battery to charge. After reinstalling the battery, more than half the time, I am having problems with no motor engagement and then I am fiddling around with the harness cover.

In addition, I also adjusted my dropper post so I pulled some slack through the cable located in the bottom bracket, and I was thinking this could of caused a problem with the motor harness cable.

I’m going to try to clean the connections on the battery and harness cover. I will also try to remove the motor cover on the non driver side to see if something got pinched. If there is any other advisement, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Harmialized

Oct 15, 2018
Netherlands
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I posted very similar problems with my 2017 levo. I have motor power problems when I remove the battery to charge. After reinstalling the battery, more than half the time, I am having problems with no motor engagement and then I am fiddling around with the harness cover.

In addition, I also adjusted my dropper post so I pulled some slack through the cable located in the bottom bracket, and I was thinking this could of caused a problem with the motor harness cable.

I’m going to try to clean the connections on the battery and harness cover. I will also try to remove the motor cover on the non driver side to see if something got pinched. If there is any other advisement, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

This is what I had on my former levo:
1541662402790.png

Due to a strong push to get the cable in place I cracked of one of these connector guidance pins.
Without these pins the connector can move and can cause loose contacts.
I also saw a couple of times debris around this area, it is a magnet surface where some how small metal debris is accumulating which can also cause a noise in communciation between motor & bat.

Aug 28, 2018
Orange County, CA
A recent mtbr post just made me the happiest guy on the planet! Putting small wads of foil into the female connector holes instantly did the trick! Seems like the female connectors stretch out and start to lose contact with the male pins, causing this problem of intermittent or no connection.

bbred

Aug 15, 2018
Derbyshire
A recent mtbr post just made me the happiest guy on the planet! Putting small wads of foil into the female connector holes instantly did the trick! Seems like the female connectors stretch out and start to lose contact with the male pins, causing this problem of intermittent or no connection.
Word of warning on putting anything metallic in the socket charging connection to make it work. If you short the battery charge to the small gold connectors it blows the batteries management circuit. You are then £700 down as they can't be repaired.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Well my connections look exactly same as all of yours. I never had an issue. Bike clean as new and never been in the rain or washed with a hose.. 500+ miles and suddenly I have same exact issues. Male 2018 Carbon Levo Expert in size medium. Very frustrating. I don’t think it’s the connector as I have fiddled with it and it makes no difference. Bike will loose power during a ride and loose Bluetooth too. I have to restart a few times and get lucky to get a connection. It has nothing to do with heat as this happens from moment I turn it on for a ride and it was 65 F out. Bike was cold and still had this happening and it has never happened before even during 40 mile rides. Will take it to LBS for resolution.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
It will likely be a bad connection issue. Most likely at the battery plug as above but could be on of the cable cores has broken down or a dry joint at one of the internal connectors. Mine did it twice. Repaired at 6 months and about 500miles and full motor replacement when it reoccurred at 1i months and 1400 miles. Both under warranty. I'd say its back to the LBS for you.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Weird haven't had the issue recur for over a month. I don't know what to think. I am waiting for it to show up again and I can take bike to the LBS for it to be diagnosed.

Donga

Feb 8, 2020
Hartbeespoort, South Africa
1st ride on new motor 2018 Carbon Comp - starts cutting out at high cadence - drop a gear - power comes back - on Turbo not enough power to hold top gear on flat - bike gone from superb to “what now” - cleaned plug with ear bud on trail, switched off and on - no difference - can’t feel any extra power in “turbo” - now what (dealer 60kms away so looking for fix before the drive there)

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
I’m having the same issue on my 2019 Kenevo Expert. Happened a few months ago but seemed to resolve itself. Now it won’t turn motor on. I wonder how it went with the foil solution? Simple fix or as the following post suggests a disaster? I’m afraid now of taking it to the shop fearing a Covid-19 lockdown and having my bike in “quarantine” for months, especially if there may be an easy fix or at least to give a try to rule out other problems. Thanks.

STK

Apr 23, 2019
San Diego
I’m having the same issue on my 2019 Kenevo Expert. Happened a few months ago but seemed to resolve itself. Now it won’t turn motor on. I wonder how it went with the foil solution? Simple fix or as the following post suggests a disaster? I’m afraid now of taking it to the shop fearing a Covid-19 lockdown and having my bike in “quarantine” for months, especially if there may be an easy fix or at least to give a try to rule out other problems. Thanks.
43428425-0188-41FA-AA30-1D223C7B499D.jpeg Here is the answer: Crack?
No, not drugs, that tiny corner of aluminum foil ever so gently inserted into one of the female connectors that looked a little more worn. Now the motor engages and the thumb switch is working again. No field test yet but no explosion or I’ll effects so far. Maybe I’ll see if the LBS will replace it under warranty without leaving it there. And I’m definitely putting crack... foil in my Camelbak.

JayK

Aug 3, 2018
Belgium
After a 3rd battery change and a new motor cable, I lost the power (again) after just a few rides. I tried to clean everything, tried the aluminium foil trick with no success.

The thumb switches do not do anything and I have no power from the motor. The battery leds respond normally.

I've had so many issues with this bike (2018 TurboLevo FSR comp)...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles