Levo Gen 3 Turbo Levo 2022 - Carbon wheels?

Sanzun

May 31, 2022
Spain
I have a 2022 TL Comp Carbon with aluminum wheels. I wonder if it would be a good idea to replace with carbon wheels. I'm looking at these DT-Swiss XMC 1200 wheels, any experience or recommendation?

XMC 1200
Technical specifications:
intended use : XC Allround, All Mountain, Trail, Enduro
Rim type: clincher (wire and folding tire)
Tubeless capable: yes
Brake type: only for disc brake
Brake disc mount: Centerlock (6-hole adapter included)
Material rim: Carbon
Material hub: aluminum
Inner width: 30 mm
External width: 36 mm
Rim height: 30 mm
Number of holes: 28 holes
axle type : 12x148 mm BOOST floating axle
bearing : 4x industrial bearing
Seal: labyrinth rubber seals
Freewheel Compatibility: SRAM XD or Shimano Micro Spline (conversion kit included)
Freewheel Type: Ratchet EXP Pulley Freewheel, 36 detents per wheel revolution
Spokes: 28x DT Swiss Aero Comp, Straightpull
maximum rider weight: 120 kg (driver, bike, clothes and possibly luggage)
Color: black, UD-carbon

Weight according to the manufacturer: 820g

Thanks!

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
Definitely, I noticed a massive difference from going from my 2022 Levo Comp Carbon to a 2022 Levo Pro Carbon. Between the two models there's a 35lb weight difference. Granted the bars and cranks are also carbon but the majority of the weight saving is from the wheels.
The steering is much more sharper and the whole bike feels a lot more agile.
In theory you should get slightly more battery range too with the weight saving.

Sanzun

May 31, 2022
Spain
I have an ‘18 Levo carbon comp with a set of aluminum and a set of carbon Spec wheels I swap back and forth from time to time. I can’t even tell which set of wheels I’m running.

I get it, but less weight = battery savings, right? In your case, can you see the battery saving?.

cheers

Soupamoto

Mar 3, 2020
Knoxville, Tennessee
I get it, but less weight = battery savings, right? In your case, can you see the battery saving?.

cheers

Literally I could take a dump before I ride and lose more weight than the carbon wheels save. No I for sure can’t see a battery savings between the wheels.

Even the finish between the two makes them hard to tell apart, sometimes I have to tap on them with a fingernail to listen for the sound difference.

Only way I’ve found to make a noticeable savings of battery usage is to set the Assist level 20% lower.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I'm surprised you can't feel the difference. According to specialized spec sheet the levo pro carbon is 35lbs lighter than the Comp.
This massive weight saving must mainly come from the wheels.There's no way the carbon bars and cranks add up to 35lbs. The unsprung weight from the lighter carbon wheels alters the way the bike handles and steers.

Soupamoto

Mar 3, 2020
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm surprised you can't feel the difference. According to specialized spec sheet the levo pro carbon is 35lbs lighter than the Comp.
This massive weight saving must mainly come from the wheels.There's no way the carbon bars and cranks add up to 35lbs. The unsprung weight from the lighter carbon wheels alters the way the bike handles and steers.

35 lb lighter? You mean 3.5 lb?

i can barely tell a difference in weight of the wheels when I pick them up. Identical hubs, spokes, and tires. My carbon wheels are from the Pro.

i have the Pro Ohlins fork, it’s a lot lighter than the Rockshox (I have both, I have two ‘18 Levo’s).

I like the carbon wheels, but I don’t remotely see $1,200 worth of value.

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp - aluminum with the Roval aluminum wheels. I weigh 225. Never broke a spoke, bent a wheel or had any issues with the OEM wheel set. I ride chunk in So. California. But if you have the $$$ what better thing to spend it on that an awesome bike?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I have a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp - aluminum with the Roval aluminum wheels. I weigh 225. Never broke a spoke, bent a wheel or had any issues with the OEM wheel set. I ride chunk in So. California. But if you have the $$$ what better thing to spend it on that an awesome bike?

I get the feeling you are not the kind of guy that uses tire inserts? What tire pressure are you running? If you are riding these kind of trails without damage, I am impressed!

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
I get the feeling you are not the kind of guy that uses tire inserts? What tire pressure are you running? If you are riding these kind of trails without damage, I am impressed!

No inserts, running 20 front 24 rear on the Specialized OEM 2.6 tires. I did have an occasion when the Specialized Grid rear tire bead started seeping a bit of sealant so I upped the tire pressure 2lbs and all went well.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
No inserts, running 20 front 24 rear on the Specialized OEM 2.6 tires. I did have an occasion when the Specialized Grid rear tire bead started seeping a bit of sealant so I upped the tire pressure 2lbs and all went well.

Well done! My OEM tires were 2.4 and didn't work well on our often wet and rooty trails. I always felt the 28 spoke OEM wheels were on the light duty/cheap side and likely to taco on some hard landing.

Mike C

Jan 23, 2020
Ramona, CA
Well done! My OEM tires were 2.4 and didn't work well on our often wet and rooty trails. I always felt the 28 spoke OEM wheels were on the light duty/cheap side and likely to taco on some hard landing.
Just looked at your video. That is definitely not my riding style! So that may explain why I haven't destroyed my wheels yet! Nice riding.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Just looked at your video. That is definitely not my riding style! So that may explain why I haven't destroyed my wheels yet! Nice riding.
Thanks. I have been to a few locations from the dry slick rock of Moab and Grand Junction to our local rain forests which are wet 10 months of the year and then they dry out in the summer so I tend to go for less air pressure with inserts. The only exception would be at Whistler if we are doing a flow day on the jump trails as my usual pressures require me to pedal too much between the jumps! Then again, I am not much of a jumper and prefer steep tech. It is interesting that some riders don't really notice THAT big of a difference between a good quality AL wheel and a carbon wheel tho. :unsure: In the end, my wife bought us some We Are One wheels with Industry 9 hubs this afternoon. When I say us, I am really thinking they will end up on her bike. My KSL weighs 4 lbs more than her LSL so 1 lb isn't going to make that much of a difference!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, I don't understand lowering the number of spokes. One thing I like about merida is that they use 36 spokes in their rear wheels! The only time I've seen broken spokes on trail were from 28 spoke wheels, admittedly giant bikes - not many specialized around here.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Ummmm, there is NO WAY that the difference in weight is "35 LBS". That means that one bike weighs 20 lbs and that ain't happening.
Somehow what you read is wrong or you read it wrong.
Y

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
Personally, I’ll never ride aluminium rims again for pleasure. Commuting, sure. Off road MTB, carbon everything thank you.

My advice would be to find a local wheel builder, and look at using quality hubs like DT Swiss, Hope, industry9, onyx.

Spokes from DT or Sapim. J hook. Get spares!!!

Brass nipples

Premium Carbon Rims. The premium Chinese carbon rims from Light Bicycle, Nextie and CarbonFan are all very good.

I like the asymmetrical rims. 32 hole, 28 hole does not belong on an ebike. None of this radial laced on RHS front hub BS either.

I own wheel with carbon rims from Light Bicycle, Nextie and CarbonFan and all are amazing. Also have Rovals carbons on a 2018 Sworks Levo. Don’t go rovals. Getting parts is an UTTER NIGHTMARE. Break a spoke, no one will help you, “telling you the spoke length isn’t part of our whole wheel approach” bs. Dealer will have to order in the spokes, which are DT Swiss Straight pull spokes, to avoid confusion you’ll be pulling another spoke to of the Roval wheel to measure.

If I was building right now, and budget wasn’t a thing, Light Bicycle premium carbons, Sapim double butted (let wheel builder pick which model), brass nipples and Onyx Classic line hubs.

Kinda budget, hope pro4 hubs, Sapim spokes, CarbonFan asymmetrical 30mm inner width DH spec 32 hole rims.

Budget build weights:
Rims 430 grams each in DH spec. 860
Hub f 188 grams
Hub r 311 grams
Spokes. 5.75 grams each. 368
Nipples, about a gram each. 64

Wheel set total weight around 1800 grams.

Some aluminium 27.5” rim weights for comparison. These don’t equal on durability, just to show what happens with weight. DTSwiss 32 hole FR560 rims are 590 grams each. They put the total wheelset weight at 2100 grams.

Sanzun

May 31, 2022
Spain
Hello, thanks for all the comments.

The decision is made, I will change my aluminum rims for carbon.

Rims Enve M730

Hub Industry Nine Hydra 6t

Spoke Sapim CX Ray

I know it's not the best weight glove but I've read good reviews of the Enve M7. Does anyone have experience with Enve rims?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
This you? I could feel my joints losing another 10 years of life on that!

I am not sure if you are asking if the riders in the video are me or asking about the other member on the Forum named Mike C? The video I posted is from Tommy Huynh in Santa Barbara, Southern California. While I have ridden on trails like that, it is NOT my preference. Tommy rides them well but he has also smashed up a few carbon rims on those trails!
My comment was to Mike C who said he weighs 225 lbs and rides SoCal chunk/gnar at 20-24 (+2) PSI and has not had an issue with the stock 28 spoke wheelset on the 2019 Levo, without inserts. I have a Roval 28 spoke rear hub that I have laced up to a 27.5" RaceFace Arc 35 HD rim (CushCore) but am afraid it will be too weak to handle the trails I ride, on either my beefy Levo SL or my Keneno SL, given my current skill set.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Right on. Thought it was you riding

I’ve not had good experiences with Race Face wheels! You can find many cheap online from new bike take offs
Actually, I am not too worried about the RF Arc 35 HD rims, I am more concerned about the low quality Specialized hubs and using only 28 spokes. We run DT Swiss EX511 rims with Hope Pro 4 hubs which seem to hold up fine.

Pauliemon

Sep 14, 2020
Northern California, USA
Good move going with a shop build. Having a experienced wheel builder is the way to go. I slipped a pair or 1250 gram E Thirteens on my Carbon Comp. Just for a minute until I built a new wheelset. Did I notice the difference? Yeah a little, not much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles