29" wheels on 2018 Levo Comp Carbon

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Ok so I've pulled my 29 Roval Carbon Control SL rear wheel with Purgatory 2.3 tyre off my S-works to try it for size.... and yes, it fits with clearance! :) Now I just need to buy the BOOST end cap kit for my DT Swiss hubs which is - part no. 30017-1115 (£37) and I'll have me a super light pair of wheels for fast XC!

The 29 carbon rear wheel/XX1 cassette/2.3 tyre is exactly 1000g lighter than the 2018 Levo rear wheel/cassette/2.8 tyre! :giggle::cool:(y)

Has anyone else tried running 29er wheels on their 2017/18 Levo FSR ?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
just a heads up, if you have dtswiss centre lock brake rotors you wont be able to fit the speed sensor magnet

neils

Aug 28, 2018
Wokingham UK
Thanks Dave. I think they’re older than that, 2014 so six hex bolts. The BOOST end cap kit comes with spacers for the rotor apparently. (y)

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
just a heads up, if you have dtswiss centre lock brake rotors you wont be able to fit the speed sensor magnet
Good warning! All you need to do, however, is slap a magnet on a disc rotor to trigger the sensor.

We use center lock hubs on our bikes and wanted to use our wide wheels (45mm inner rim width) for desert sand riding on our Levos. The only steel rotors we had were the 6-bolt rotors that came on the Levos, so we used Shimano SM-RTAD05 Disc Rotor Adaptors to mount them on our wheels and used a small neodymium magnet as the trigger. The magnet held on and worked fine for over 6 months, but we ultimately decided to glue it in place to be safe. It's been trouble free for over a year. Here's a photo of the set up:

magnet.jpg

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
I bought a used 29er Roval Traverse wheelset with 29mm inner width. Currently I changed the front wheel only with a 2.6 Hillbilly tyre, tubeless like the 27.5 Butchers on my bike. The Hillbilly has the same width as a Schwalbe 2.35 Hans Dampf which I use on my normal MTB. I would not go below that width. I will try the 29er rear wheel (with a 2.6 Butcher) the next weeks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles