Turbo display unit

Terry

Jan 4, 2019
Hampshire
Are the Specialized Turbo Display Units any good? Can they survive a crash? Are they worth having? Your thoughts and experiences with them appreciated.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I've got one, mounted in a similar position to the Shimano display (behind the bars, to the right of the stem, using the bracket that came with it) - much more crash proof than mounting it above the bars, and reasonably discreet. I like knowing how far I've ridden and when the speed limiter is about to kick in, and also it has more accurate battery charge percentage indicator than the blue lights on the top tube.

I suppose you could do the same with a Garmin, but I don't think the battery lasts very long compared to the Specialized display (which is more like a "normal" bike speedometer - fit & forget) - and I certainly wouldn't have a smartphone clamped on anywhere, as that would be the opposite of crash proof.

It's not perfect - there's a bit of a knack to resetting the odometer, but I'm happy with it.

Drburns

Nov 22, 2018
USA
I have one and broke one of the mounting tabs first crash. I was able to fix it and it stays firmly in the mount. The real problem with it is it doesn’t read the distance accurately with firmware 2.019. You need 2.025 and up. I just use my iPhone and BLEvo now.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Does the Specialized unit use a separate battery or does it tap into the large downtube battery?

I am considering which one to get myself.

PeteRepeate

Feb 10, 2019
Denmark
I find the turbo display to provide quite good informations. Very discrete size and easy to read basic informations. Unfortunately i did brake in my first crash, but some glue solved the problem. Only Real annoying thing is, that sometimes the distance does count 2 to 4 times the real distance. Next ride the distance is OK. Funny thing is, that the distance counted in the Mission Control app is correct, despite of showing much longer distance on the turbo display. I run firmware 1a.b

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Me too, but it only happens when I use the Turbo Display and Mission Control at the same time - so if I want to use Mission control while I'm riding, I don't turn on the Turbo Display.

PeteRepeate

Feb 10, 2019
Denmark
My problem with the misleading distance of the display is not related to using Mission Control on the same time. It use to work flawless also with MC turnes on, but every 4th or 6th ride I have the problem. My wife also have a 2019 Turbo Levo with display. She have not at all installed MC, but also have the distance problem from time to time. This problem is really a mystery.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles