Tubeless - Inserts are they needed/worth it?

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
So, impatiently awaiting my cyclescheme voucher to come through, but already have a deposit on an S2 2020 Kenevo Comp with Darren @ Berkshire Cycles. Plan is to have them setup the bike tubeless, but was wondering how many of you that run tubeless also use Cushcore or similar inserts?

My analogue MTB's have all been run tubeless without any insert, wondering whether it makes sense with the extra weight to use cushcore or something in the Kenevo?

Pros/cons? Your thoughts and opinions are welcome!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been running tubeless for years, never a problem, never needed inserts. Now I have an emtb that is 7kg heavier, I still run tubeless and still have no problems. But so far I haven't been riding my emtb at speed anywhere really rocky and sharp edged. I know lots of riders who are more than 7kg heavier than me who do run at speed over rocks (and do jumps) and they are tubeless and without inserts. They too have had no problems.

I am deffo not saying inserts are a waste of time; they really work for those that need them. Why not see how you get on first? :unsure:

Later Edit: I weigh over 200lbs (14.5st / 92kg) on 29x2.5" tubeless Maxxis HRII. I have 17psi front, 20psi rear.

Last edited:

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
i would say there's no need to use inserts just because of the extra weight of an emtb (otherwise all the riders weighting 10kgs more would need to ride inserts, which clearly isn't the case).
it much more depends on your riding style, the riding terrain, the tyre itself and last but not least the tyre pressure you choose. Just ride tubeless and have fun and you will notice if you should put in 5 psi more, or add an insert.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I ran tubeless with no inserts for a year no problems then one day I hit something and bent the edge of the rim. Ended up going with Cush cores straight after and will never go back if I can help it.
Allowed me to run pretty much what ever pressure I want and it feels like another 10-20mm of travel. I ride many different types of terrain and I ride pretty hard so for me the piece of mind is worth it.
If your not that aggressive or heavy then I wouldn’t bother, spend it on other mods first.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I know I have said this here before, after smashing up 4 wheels with various types of lightweight inserts, the only ones that will keep your wheels in one piece are vittoria air liners. Just for reference I'm 65kg but pretty much only ride enduro and sometimes what I would describe as old school dh. Tyres are magic mary dh and super gravity. I also run lighter ptn inserts in my 29er enduro clockwork bike. Even then, the rims have taken a small ding, front and rear.

Crash

Sep 19, 2019
Austin, TX
I'm a heavier rider weighing 220 pounds. In central Texas hill country, I mostly ride rocky, technical trails with a lot of limestone ledges. Due to the challenging terrain and fairly aggressive riding style, I suffered many pinch flats (with dinged rims) and burping prior to running CushCore in the rear tire.

I have been riding CushCore inserts (rear tire only) for about two years now and have not had a pinch flat or burped a tire. I most appreciate the sidewall support for hard cornering. I run them on all my bikes and highly recommend CushCore for anyone experiencing problems with pinch flats or burping.

I have not tried similar products and they're a bit expensive but here is a link>
CushCore

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
After a couple pinch flats early on, I've put about 2500 miles on my 2019 Levo with CushCore. As others have expressed, it is great to run 20/16psi in my tires and not worry about pinch flats, as well as the cornering support. This coupled with my Factory 36, I've never felt a more plush ride.
I would never consider an aggressive ride without them at this point.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I am a very aggressive rider and 215lbs and I have run cushcore in all my Enduro bikes for years. The flat protection is one thing, but the sidewall support and added protection from burping is what sold me. I am running a cushcore in just the rear of my Levo as usually don't have issues with the front nearly as bad and all the weight from a big impact will be on the rear wheel.

Rocket Roche

Nov 21, 2018
Hertfordshire
I think it all depends on what tire pressure you run and over what terrain? I have Vittoria foam inserts and they have saved me and my rims on a number of occasions the most recent when I was cycling across the Yorkshire Dales and managed a nice slash in the side wall of the tire which was irreparable and 7 miles away from base :eek: Vittoria's got me back no drama's and very impressed with them wouldn't be without them now (y)

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
So, impatiently awaiting my cyclescheme voucher to come through, but already have a deposit on an S2 2020 Kenevo Comp with Darren @ Berkshire Cycles. Plan is to have them setup the bike tubeless, but was wondering how many of you that run tubeless also use Cushcore or similar inserts?

My analogue MTB's have all been run tubeless without any insert, wondering whether it makes sense with the extra weight to use cushcore or something in the Kenevo?

Pros/cons? Your thoughts and opinions are welcome!
Yes inserts work well, been running the Nukeproof ARD on the rear...Currenty Eddy Tyres on Vitus esommet. They have saved numerous dings on big hits and drops and I have trashed several good rims when not using them. I only use on the rear as there is not many occasions when you'd ding the front rim, so you'd be saving money as they come in pairs. I mentioned in a post elsewhere that getting the Nukeproof ARD insert out is not a problem if you use plenty of soapy water to aid pushing the tyre in to break the bead, when you do it once it becomes really easy after. The ARD is excellent value.?

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Its all about how you ride. If you are fast and aggressive they are rim savers. If you poodle around probably not needed.

I'mactually going cushcore as I want stability more than anything.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Its all about how you ride. If you are fast and aggressive they are rim savers. If you poodle around probably not needed.

I'mactually going cushcore as I want stability more than anything.
Go for it, I ride full on downhill and enduro, big hits, big drops/gaps and the ARD has been faultless. Most good riders will only use in the rear, don't think I've ever trashed a front rim...countless expensive rears.?

EDYM

Jul 6, 2020
Igny
Hello, new to E-bikes (but not to Mtb) i'm using those Slicy products only on the rear wheel at the moment, 130grs for a 29".
I discovered it reading a Nico Vouilloz interview on Pinkbke (the famous weight-weenie :p ) where he says he's using it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles