Tube pressures?

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi all collected my stance e yesterday and even tho its got tubeless ready wheels and tyres ( maxxis 2.6’s) its arrived with tubes fitted! So before i go fully tubeless what ballpark pressures should i consider for these + tyres?? Shop said 20/25?? ... tyre states max 40 cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
ignore what it says on the sidewall. Choose your pressures based on your weight and riding style.
By all means start off with the shops recommendations and add pressure if you're getting any tyre squirm/sidewall fold. remove pressure if they're too harsh but NEVER so low you get squirm/roll under your hardest cornering. Tyre pressures are a personal preference thing you need to work out for yourself with trial and error.

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
Rims also have maximum pressure ratings that are often lower than the maximum pressure ratings of the tyres mounted to them. Remember to factor in the rim's maximum pressure rating when inflating the tyre thats mounted to it.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rims also have maximum pressure ratings that are often lower than the maximum pressure ratings of the tyres mounted to them. Remember to factor in the rim's maximum pressure rating when inflating the tyre thats mounted to it.
Isn't that mainly Stans rims? with Stans it's a warning aimed more for tubeless tyres rather than tubed. The actual rim will take the pressure but because Stans use a lower rim edge/bead hook design than other rims inflating a tubeless tyre too high pressure risks the bead blowing off the rim.
I run 60psi on plenty other mtb rims no problem. No one is going to be running 2.6" tyres that pressure anyway. The maxxis max pressure of 40psi is lower than the tyre will withstand and in actual fact (as you rightly state) more dependent on the rim it's mounted on. Guessing Lee's rims will be Giant branded items and as such may not have a pressure rating printed on them (could be wrong here)

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Yes your right Gary... Giant rims and no psi rating on rim itself... both tyres were set at 20 psi which seems low for tubes... ive put 30 in both but will adjust as i ride probs to 25? Ish ... not used to big big tyres lol but will sort em tubeless asap anyway

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Six to seven years ago, I came a cross this video from PinkBike's Tech Tuesday series. It is about finding the correct tyre pressure for you. Bear in mind when he talks about pressures he is not referring to eBikes. But what he said and the examples he gave convinced me to dramatically drop my tyre pressures. He has my eternal gratitude!

Tech Tuesday - Find Your Tire Pressure Sweet Spot - Pinkbike

Read the words, watch the video. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles