• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Trying to remove forks. Any advice?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Ok I’ve got this far in the photos but the forks will not drop out. I don’t want to use any force yet. What’s my next step?

62683462-FF94-4206-9C98-6E539A82FA4D.jpeg
7E3CF6B6-B4E0-424B-81EC-02ED5D496A96.jpeg

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It’s free but sticking in the top bearing, I would give it a gentle tap from bottom part of the stancions upwards and then if it does not get free - a gentle tap downwards.

Karsten

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It’s free but sticking in the top bearing, I would give it a gentle tap from bottom part of the stancions upwards and then if it does not get free - a gentle tap downwards.

Karsten

Thanks, and if I want to remove the top bearing do I need to remove that C-shaped grey thing? It seems a rather solid ring

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Agreed. What stops the fork just sliding out is the split wedge shaped thingie above the upper bearings - I always put grease on the steerer tube and the outside of the thingie so it comes apart more easily, just make sure you wipe the grease off where the stem wraps goes. I do my bashing with my gloved hand, stops me hitting too hard. I'd also think about what I am going to do with the bars, controls, cables etc. You could take everything off, zip tie to the (protected) top tube - or just let it all hang. Didn't like either of these so I made up a tool like a spade handle from a bit of plumbing pipe and a T joint and pop this in the stem and head tube as I withdraw the fork.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Agreed. What stops the fork just sliding out is the split wedge shaped thingie above the upper bearings - I always put grease on the steerer tube and the outside of the thingie so it comes apart more easily, just make sure you wipe the grease off where the stem wraps goes. I do my bashing with my gloved hand, stops me hitting too hard. I'd also think about what I am going to do with the bars, controls, cables etc. You could take everything off, zip tie to the (protected) top tube - or just let it all hang. Didn't like either of these so I made up a tool like a spade handle from a bit of plumbing pipe and a T joint and pop this in the stem and head tube as I withdraw the fork.

Thanks. Just trying to eliminate an annoying creak. I’ve tried almost everything else, seat tube, motor mounting bolts, pedals. My next suspect is the headset.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Is the creak in time with your pedaling?

Gentle peddling is fine but a forceful pedal or attempt at quick acceleration will cause the creak.

The loudest creak is when I push down hard on a pedal and at the same time pull up on the handlebars.

So not really in time with peddling, just a forceful pedal stroke will cause it.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Gentle peddling is fine but a forceful pedal or attempt at quick acceleration will cause the creak.

The loudest creak is when I push down hard on a pedal and at the same time pull up on the handlebars.

So not really in time with peddling, just a forceful pedal stroke will cause it.
I think I'd check that the pedals and cranks are tight. If the creak persists, bars and grips. Also check saddle and seat post. I have an annoying creak at the moment, in time with pedaling, shifting forward on to the saddle nose makes it go away.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
That's a Cube, right? I had same issue - bearings were dry and slightly rusty after 2 weeks and one wash. Dropped the forks just enough to clean and grease the bearings.

Yeah it’s a cube and for the first few weeks of having the bike all the spacers rotated easily and I had some judder when pressing the front brake while going downhill. I was riding and washing it with a loose headset for quite some time.
Maybe water did get in has caused some corrosion and that could explain why I’m having trouble removing the fork.
I’ll try again and investigate. I’ve tried everything else, even changed pedals and ridden without a seat post.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles