Trousers that fit knee pads or at least aren't like leggings

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sick of this, I've bought quite a few pairs of trousers now and for the most part I can only just get them on. they are always too tight even without pads and I usually cant squat in them without them being too tight.
I have bought fox, alpinestars and now TLD and they are the worst even though the advertise that they are designed to take pads underneath..
does anyone know of any riding trousers that ain't like leggings ?

IMG_20220106_184208.jpg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I suspect with what you've tried already, most of the world will suggest Endura.

I have a pair of decathlon's "finest" :) . Normally wear shorts though and have only tried them once.

In fairness they do seem quite stretchy round the knees and generally. They've not been through the usual Zimmer test, so I've not reviewed them yet.

On the positives, they're cheap.

Despite what some reviews have said, a phone does fit in the pocket and fits comfortably.

And erm, yes - they're cheap !

On the negatives. They have a cunningly designed mini zip, presumably to stop zip chaff. The downside of this is that if you need to pee you need to "Tea pot" it out of there. An unfortunate side effect of this design is it creates an usual cut which magically sells your tackle as cold weather tackle, no matter the weather. So if you're hung like a donkey and embarrassed, these are the pants for you !

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I can get slim knee pads under Endura MT500 spray trousers but I have to put the pads on first as the ankles are very narrow, even with the zips undone.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have the Endura Humvee trousers and have the same problem as Dobby. You can squeeze knee pads underneath, but the crotch is so tight I can hardly swing my leg over the saddle. The Humvee shorts however are perfect, so I just wear them all the time, even in the worst weather

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Endura have a bit of a reputation for variable sizing across the different ranges. Just because you’re a large (for example) in the shorts doesn’t mean you’ll be a large in the trousers.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Have you thought about sizing up or even buying the right size in the first place? Those TLD looked sprayed on! 😂
they are all the same !! the calves are the worst.. I cant even pedal in these for sure.
I have sized up yea, then the waist falls down and the legs are still tight..
its fookin bawbags

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I think the cut of the Humvee trousers and the Zip-Off is different, the Zip-Offs are basically the Humvee (baggy) shorts with the legs extended. They are quite baggy all the way down and have a velcro tab to make them toght around the ankles, the trousers are cut so they taper to a narrow ankle.

Anothe advantage is that you can just unzip the legs to put on the pads.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Endura have a bit of a reputation for variable sizing across the different ranges. Just because you’re a large (for example) in the shorts doesn’t mean you’ll be a large in the trousers.

The shorts & trousers are indeed the same size, XL I think. The waist on the trousers is actually bigger than the shorts, and elasticated, so I have to wear a tight belt with the trousers. It’s the length of the waist to the crotch thats far too short. I won’t beat around the bush, there’s basically zero room for your manhood and your balls have to be tucked under your arse!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I think the cut of the Humvee trousers and the Zip-Off is different, the Zip-Offs are basically the Humvee (baggy) shorts with the legs extended. They are quite baggy all the way down and have a velcro tab to make them toght around the ankles, the trousers are cut so they taper to a narrow ankle.

Anothe advantage is that you can just unzip the legs to put on the pads.

They sound like just what I need, thanks

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
You've all got me worried now as just ordered some Nukeproof Blackline Trail pants in a large, anyone got a pair of these and can tell me if your knee guards fit under them?? I'm hoping that they are stretchy enough and I did notice that they don't have and elastic cuff down at the ankle so hoping that they are a bit easier to put on.

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I'm currently loving some Nukeproof Blackline Trailpants
Super comfy and stretchy
I'm either a medium or large depending on the manufacturers interpretation of sizing
I went for large as I wanted the option of wearing padded shorts with thigh/hip protection and knee shin pads
They are awesome , exactly what i wanted
The stretchy material makes all the difference
Not waterproof but are showerproof
Have a couple of hip pockets , lazer cut vent holes in the front of upper thigh
Currently on offer for £55 at CRC

Pads will have to go on first but that's not a problem for me

DSC7652.jpg

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
No elastic at the bottom, just a tapered cut which fits perfectly over my 510 addidas trail boots

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
These are the pads I wear under the Nukeproof Blackline Trailpants
Super comfy combo , perfect when pedaling , zero discomfort
Nice high back as well , which is a bonus

Screenshot_20220106-212513_Google.jpg

522614.jpeg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I have some tld sprint’s which easily fit large fox launch pro hardshell knee pads under 👍 They look much more baggy around the ankles than your photo though dobby, maybe a different model?

My Endura mt500’s fit the Endura d3o mt500 hard shell knee pads but they’re a ‘stretch fit’. They’re ok but like you I prefer slacker trousers.

Good old mountain warehouse has some decent fit trousers which work well, a white sharpy pen and a template of a mtb brand logo would sort any branding issue 😀👍

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use Endura MT500 Spray. My knee pads are the Leatt zip up and are quite bulky but fit fine under the pants. I found the XL sizing correct for me with 36 inch waist, and pleased to find the legs plenty long enough ...I am 33 inseam.
The problem you are encountering is due to "race fit".........or more a ccurately to you and me.."spray on". The MT500 spray are not race fit. They do however narrow at the ankle and whilst they have a fairly long zip on the outside of each leg bottom the opening has a flap so they only open up by a few inches. Plenty enough to comfortably get your feet through...not enough to be a ble to roll up the trousers to put knee pads on so it means putting your knee pads on first. As a bove my kneepads are zipped so I can take them off just by dropping the pants.

If you still cannot find anything to fit get some MX pants. Less than half the price and twice as tough.........only drawback is they tend to be a bit short in the leg because they are designed to go into MX boots.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles