Fuel EXe TREK's new lightweight trail ebike

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I just saw a 33 pound new Emountainbike but it was in german so i only remember the 15K.
Here in Canada all Ebikes retailers can grab are sold. The supply is not enough.
I will stay on my Giant, decently priced and reliable.
Paying more for less range is not in my plans.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
They are very pretty… This segment is really starting to look like an accoustic bike. Those motors are really stealthy. It’ll be bikes like this that bring on the eBike as market dominant over normal bikes.

Prices are ludicrous. DOn’t see that changing as long as people are buying them. Just like petrol I think the high prices are here to stay. There’s a big opening for someone to do something around the chinese frames and motors. I see a business model in doing what Rob has done with Cheeb 2.0 adding a grand for the build and selling them on. Bikes like the above are getting close to a house deposit…

Gordon

If the new Bafang M820 motor comes anywhere close to fitting in an E10 frame you know someone is going to try. 500wh battery and presto, Cheeb lite.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
but our governments aren’t serious about EV adoption.
hopefully that will change soon. Slomo was anti anything good. The pity is that anything implemented now will take a year or two to kick in. I'd love to see the range of cheaper and smaller options that seem to be all over UK and Europe, India etc. We're way behind though; one problem is that nothing at all has been done to the energy sector for the mass use of e vehicles - that's our main problem. It's starting now, but it will take time. Current government is also looking at subsidies for battery storage in houses so that we can spread out the burden on power supply, ie off peak charging etc.

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
The new display looks great. Think Mission control. Bar controls got smaller. 360wh battery, 50nm motor. The black looks good with the copper lettering. 4 hr ride time estimate. XT build should be Mid $8k

This bike got better than the Levo SL but then again, the Levo SL is getting revised soon(?)

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN
Does anyone know if the bikes will be readily available after they launch on the 12th?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I can't recognise the currency. What is it's equiv in USD or GBP?
Whats with the extra bit of pipe work around the seat post? I see it as an early 2000s looking bike.

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
2027 ... maybe .... :)

Considering the last TQ bike I would agree. Funny how it is like the opposite end of the spectrum power/weight wise and hopefully it will be getting them out the door.

The other ? I have is what happened to their Fazua model from a few years ago? I never saw much on that though I did see an early version at a mag editor buddies a few years ago but he hadn't ridden it enough yet to say and never saw his review.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I ride with at least 60 other people every Tuesday after work. I'm the only one of the group with an ebike and still can't believe it. Either ebikes are impossible to buy in Texas or they aren't catching on as fast as expected. It could be the pricing. I also get the feeling everyone frowns at ebikes (but secretly wants one).

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I ride with at least 60 other people every Tuesday after work. I'm the only one of the group with an ebike and still can't believe it. Either ebikes are impossible to buy in Texas or they aren't catching on as fast as expected. It could be the pricing. I also get the feeling everyone frowns at ebikes (but secretly wants one).

It’s an American thing. The rest of the world doesn’t have the same, organised, anti eBike crowd as you do. Here, the discussion isn’t whether you ride an eBike or not but which eBike you will/would buy next. People who don’t ride eBikes cite either costs or “not yet” for fitness/weight reasons. It’s more like another category of bike. Trail/Enduro/eMTB. There’s almost no hate, like there is in the USA.

Investment in MTB trails is booming here and I think most people just agree that more riders means more money for trails. So more eMTB’s are good for everybody.

We do have the same stock issues as you though and the used bike market is booming. The Levo I ordered in September last year arrived this week…..

Gordon

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Hi,

I just saw a post on IG from our local TREK distribution, here in Czech Republic, that on 12th of July there will be a press release about new lightweight trail ebike

View attachment 91402
saying "new type of electric mountaibike"

View attachment 91404
saying "Begining of the new era, 12th of June 2022". The button for "more info" takes you just to a site where you can join a common newsletter.
View attachment 91403

Dont we know any insights what it might have be? Im happy with quality of my 21 Rail 9, but its just too heavy for my fitness 1 hour rides after work. Something lighter, like Specialized Levo SL / Kenevo SL would be appreciated.
Was just talking to a local trek rep...he said to watch this space and be ready for some to land in stores...looks like they have been keeping a secret for awhile and that there is worldwide distribution on foot... amazing if that is the case given worldwide supply chain issues.
Also said the trek HO was saying this bike is 'revolutionary and will not weight much more than the Slash... ' did I but that Orbea too soon???

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting to see how the new generation of lower power motors test out in the real world.

My next purchase will be a lightweight emtb of some sort, but with the new Fazua seemingly getting a lot of uptake with some serious players, this new Trek with the TQ, and Specializeds imminent new SL platform its going to be interesting to see the options coming to market.

Definitely in a moment now where there is real completion and options coming to market, with a new era of EMTB's, and probably the biggest change to the whole market since the original Shimano, Bosch and Brose bikes which changed the game back in 2017/18

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Interesting to see how the new generation of lower power motors test out in the real world.

My next purchase will be a lightweight emtb of some sort, but with the new Fazua seemingly getting a lot of uptake with some serious players, this new Trek with the TQ, and Specializeds imminent new SL platform its going to be interesting to see the options coming to market.

Definitely in a moment now where there is real completion and options coming to market, with a new era of EMTB's, and probably the biggest change to the whole market since the original Shimano, Bosch and Brose bikes which changed the game back in 2017/18

Despite the marketing hype, I expect incremental upgrades. I picked up a Forrestal Siryon last week. Just on my street in set up it seems about the same as my current eZesty. No miracles.

I can’t test properly as pretty much every MTB trail on the eastern seaboard of NSW is closed due to more torrential rain. My local (see the Jack Moir video from last week) will be closed indefinitely due to landslides!

I’d like to get a pedal on a Rise. I‘d like to see how a small motor at full power compares to aa larger one de-tuned.

Gordon

May 4, 2018
Canberra
Despite the marketing hype, I expect incremental upgrades. I picked up a Forrestal Siryon last week. Just on my street in set up it seems about the same as my current eZesty. No miracles.

I can’t test properly as pretty much every MTB trail on the eastern seaboard of NSW is closed due to more torrential rain. My local (see the Jack Moir video from last week) will be closed indefinitely due to landslides!

I’d like to get a pedal on a Rise. I‘d like to see how a small motor at full power compares to aa larger one de-tuned.

Gordon
If you are ever in canberra you can take y rise for a spin

Stubble

Jun 1, 2022
Australia
I saw three of these new "Trek SL's" in the wild at Majura Pines, Canberra, Australia on Sunday. I'd say they were staff from the local dealership out for a test drive. We ride Trek Rails. I was sitting down with snack in hand when they rode past so I didn't get a chance to chase and ask a few basic questions or get a closer look. I'm sure all specs (TQ motor is confirmed), builds and prices will be revealed soon enough anyway.

At first glance the bikes looked pretty tidy and I can confirm the "Trek" logo on the frame is "small" as shown in the images above.

May 4, 2018
Canberra
I saw three of these new "Trek SL's" in the wild at Majura Pines, Canberra, Australia on Sunday. I'd say they were staff from the local dealership out for a test drive. We ride Trek Rails. I was sitting down with snack in hand when they rode past so I didn't get a chance to chase and ask a few basic questions or get a closer look. I'm sure all specs (TQ motor is confirmed), builds and prices will be revealed soon enough anyway.

At first glance the bikes looked pretty tidy and I can confirm the "Trek" logo on the frame is "small" as shown in the images above.
Must of been one of the guys that gave me the insider information. Wow i thought poor downunder was usually the last to get new arrivals. Ill keep me eyes posted a trek fyswick

Esef

Dec 29, 2021
Czech Republic
So, its out! Electrified Fuel Ex

To be honest I dont know what to think about it. For me kinda unknown engine manufacturer with brand new system of power delivery. The cheapest model weights 20kg with 140mm of travel....

I really do not see a point why I should move to Fuel EXe from my Rail 9 (just to save 3kg and loose travel).

Last edited:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Cost = as much as 13,000 pounds?
My Trek Powerfly FS7 2019 cost me $5,700 Can (= 3680 pounds). If I was offered for free to trade my Powerfly for the Fuel EX-E - I would definitely say no to what seems to me an overpriced and underpowered e-bike.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I think that pretty much the only way they can limit an Ebikes weight is by having a smaller battery. That and the motor are the only really different things that mark it out from a standard bike. The motors always going to weigh X amount, so this leaves only the battery, so all they can do is spec something smaller. Im not sure this does anything other than limit the Ebikes point of being an Ebike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles